kayumanggi

DHD Friday (02/03): 8.65 CHRONICLE | 8.30 M TWIB

The Woman in Black was the best horror movie I've seen in years. My theater was full capacity for the 7:00 show. The audiences reaction was very very good, tons of screaming and a standing ovation at the end.

Legs? I seriously think it can get a 50M total off a 16M OW.

FRIDAY 10 PM, 2ND UPDATE: It’s another bigger-than-predicted box office this Super Bowl weekend with the studios focused on counterprogramming the game. My sources say CBS Films’ The Woman In Black is looking to edge Fox’s Chronicle for No. 1 Friday with $8.1M vs $8.0M respectively Friday and $19.8M vs $19.7M weekend. Trust me, no one in Hollywood projected either movie to get near $20M so this gives new meaning to the term ‘overperform’. But the town is thrilled that 2012 keeps logging good grosses. Woman In Black has hung onto its slight lead longer than originally expected, including evening pre-sales. But the Fox film will lose guys on Sunday so CBS Films should overtake. The Woman In Black is especially a low-cost/high-reward bonanza for its studios, especially because the marketing budget was kept to a bare minimum. The weekend’s biggest budget debut is Universal’s Big Miracle which is No. 4 heading for $2.2M Friday and $8M weekend. Last week’s big winner, Open Road’s The Grey is #3 with a solid -52% hold. Stay tuned.
  • Like 1

1. The Woman in Black (CBS Films) NEW [2,855 Theaters]

Est Friday $8.1M, Est Weekend $19.8M

2. Chronicle (Fox) NEW [2,907 Theaters]

Est Friday $8.0M, Est Weekend $19.7M

3. The Grey (Open Road) Week 2 [3,207 Theaters]

Est Friday $3M, Est Weekend $9.4M, Est Cume $33M

4. Big Miracle (Universal) NEW [2,129 Theaters]

Est Friday $2.2M, Est Weekend $8M

5. (tie) Underworld Awakening (Sony) Week 3 [2,636 Theaters]

Est Friday $1.6M, Est Weekend $4.9M, Est Cume $54M

5. (tie) Red Tails (LucasFilm/Fox) Week 3 [2,347 Theaters]

Est Friday $1.6M, Est Weekend $4.9M, Est Cume $41M

• Like 1

Incidentally this is only going to fuel the Potter/Twilight war..."Haha Twitards, OUR leading actor's first lead role opened higher than YOUR leads' feature debuts!!"Still great that both are matching, and in the case of Woman in Black exceeding, expectations.