WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

It's just a little summary I did based on Sully's trailer, which could also serve as Flight's plot description. 

Ah ok.

Sully's plot description (not based on the trailers):

"The story of Chesley Sullenberger, who became a hero after gliding his plane along the water in the Hudson River, saving all of the airplane flights 155 crew and passengers. "

This is pretty much how I saw the movie being marketed. But I digress, you based your conclusion on the trailer you watched so I can't dispute that.

5 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Ah ok.

Sully's plot description (not based on the trailers):

"The story of Chesley Sullenberger, who became a hero after gliding his plane along the water in the Hudson River, saving all of the airplane flights 155 crew and passengers. "

This is pretty much how I saw the movie being marketed. But I digress, you based your conclusion on the trailer you watched so I can't dispute that.

I don't think it's unfair to say it features a lot of similarities to Flight. Life imitates art and vice versa. 

However, people wouldn't have just remade Flight  with less alcohol(nor would people see it) for the hell of it if they didn't have a real life, well publicized event to latch itself to. I think that's the point in the end. 

I think WB was incredibly shrewd with playing up the everyman and patriotic aspect to the film and releasing it on September 11th weekend as well with notably less competition than Flight.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Maybe storks IS a good movie, but an OW is usually indicative of how good marketing/brand was. And Stork's trailers were awful, so maybe this should have been expected.

The reviews for Storks has been mixed at best. I imagine Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago will do better but it's dissapointing their first non Lego film didn't open well

I was rooting for Storks because Katie Crown had a major role in it, and this is probably the first time that a career voice actress (as opposed to a celebrity) has gotten such a big role in a major theatrical animated film since I think Cree Summer in Atlantis in 2001. Storks underperforming means we're going back to 100% celebrities in these movies, and no chance of seeing, say, Grey Griffin as a Disney Princess ever :(

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't think it's unfair to say it features a lot of similarities to Flight. Life imitates art and vice versa. 

However, people wouldn't have just remade Flight  with less alcohol(nor would people see it) for the hell of it if they didn't have a real life, well publicized event to latch itself to. I think that's the point in the end. 

I think WB was incredibly shrewd with playing up the everyman and patriotic aspect to the film and releasing it on September 11th weekend as well with notably less competition than Flight.

I saw Sully that weekend without even realizing the connections,until watching some of those scenes and thinking that it seemed extremely calculated  that they released it that weekend. Really rubbed me the wrong way and soured my whole opinion of the film. 

I imagine WB thought Sully would do $20-25m and Storks $35m and not the other way around. 

The scheduling of Sully I thought was so it could play in IMAX, October wasn't feasible because Hanks would be too busy promoting Inferno and November and December were just too packed. It worked out for them in the end.

• Like 1

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-magnificent-seven-storks-opening-weekend-1201869229/

The Magnificent Seven” is targeting an opening weekend in the $32 – 34 million range at 3,096 locations, according to early Friday projections.

The film, from MGM and Columbia Pictures, is aiming for a $12 million Friday after rounding up $1.75 million in Thursday previews. Its biggest competition, Warner Bros. Animation’s “Storks,” looks to push out $5 million on Friday and $18 – 20 million this weekend.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

RIP BOX OFFICE

EVERY STUDIO IS FUCKED.

WAKE ME UP WHEN DR. STRANGE COMES OUT WITH SKY BEAMS AND JOKES

(Seriously, that'd be close to disappointing for Mag 7 and and it's already bad for Storks)

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

RIP BOX OFFICE

EVERY STUDIO IS FUCKED.

(Seriously, that'd be close to disappointing for Mag 7 and and it's already bad for Storks)

It'll save us with what the MPAA calls "an intense crash sequence"!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just thought of this: the drops on Monday could be higher than usual because of the first debate.

Poor RAW will get assfucked by the debate and NFL in ratings.

On the plus side, Stork's bombage (and IA5's and Angry Bird's underperformance) might signal that the bar for animation has been raised for the GA. So many quality animated films this year, perhaps the generic juvenile stuff isn't cutting it for the GA anymore. And before anyone brings up SLOP, that at least has top notch production values and a certain entertainment factor. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

RIP BOX OFFICE

EVERY STUDIO IS FUCKED.

Dr. Strange under 65m OW. Burn everything to the ground!