WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Why on earth would a western, a genre that's produced far more misses than hits at the box office, that's not an Oscar player released in the historically flaccid month of September make that much? lawd no wonder some of you set yourselves up for disappointment.

It wasn't just me, it was several others. Don't kid yourself.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess, with that $90M budget. I'm guessing the overseas gross won't be substantial either. Oh well.

The Equalizer did 90m OS, which is where I expect Mag 7 will end up, perhaps a bit more.  So around 200m+ WW which is an overall modest performer, they should atleast break even. 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most of the big predictions I saw for Magnificent Seven were pretty much because of "OMG Star-Lord!!!" even though it was clearly sold as a Denzel vehicle first and foremost. Pratt's big star test comes in December.

JLaw got first billing in the trailer tho

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

JLaw got first billing in the trailer tho

It is very clearly a test of star power, they are selling it on the stars.  It will impact both of them.  And seeing them together adds another layer.  But it will probably hurt her more if it doesn't do well.  Fortunately, I think it will.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most of the big predictions I saw for Magnificent Seven were pretty much because of "OMG Star-Lord!!!" even though it was clearly sold as a Denzel vehicle first and foremost. Pratt's big star test comes in December.

He's co starring with Jlaw so I dunno if it's a big star test for him He needs to star in more sole lead movies to get a better sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

He's co starring with Jlaw so I dunno if it's a big star test for him He needs to star in more sole lead movies to get a better sense. 

It's definately a test for both of them. The movie doesn't have a Nolan-level name behind the camera and it most likely won't have oscar buzz. It's the definition of a movie relying on it's stars to sell an original project with mainstream appeal. The same movie with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling (since they're hot at the moment but not movie stars) would be scaled down to a 50m budget. The movie got a blockbuster budget because of Pratt and JLaw and they expect them to help it reach a wider audience.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It's not a fantastic opening for Magnificent 7 considering the budget, zero competition, big star power, brand and P&A. 

No franchise.

Actually it's a remake of two Legendary films and was still able to outdo the competition.   It's a Western, let's not act like Westerns gross gangbusters OW historically.   37 OW is very, very good.   Also Zero competiton is wrong, the holdovers aren't falling off the charts as strong as some predicted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

Let's see Pratt open an original flick all by himself and then we'll talk about his MEGA-STAR DRAWING POWER. 

I like Pratt but I'm still on the fence on his "Drawing" Power.  "Jurassic World" was sold more on the Dino's and History of the franchise than nessessary Chris being the star.   I do think you have to give him credit for "Guardians".   "Mag7" was marketed off Denzel's star power most.  Yes Chris is hot right now so I won't say he didn't bring in people but the Marketing was mostly around Denzel, Ethan, Fuqua and the "Trainning DAy" crew getting back together.    I guess "Passengers" will be a big test for him.  Yes Jlaw is there but it's just the two of them in an isolated Sci-Fi film.  

• Like 1