WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not a movie for young kids so basically 19% of the audience was older teens to 24 yrs old which is over representing.  

I think 19% under 25 out of a $35M opening just goes to show that the teen/college demographic wasn't interested in it whatsoever.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

And before last week it was listed at $108m on many sites so who knows.

Regardless, it's O/S opening in 64 territories was $24.8m.  It might do less than Equalizers $90m O/S

Oversea crowds continue to sleep on black stars.

If Black Panther flops I'm going to start my own BLM movement.

#BlackStarsMatter.

• Like 1

Also posting this in the CC thread, you gotta hear this; and I had though this would be the weekend where i didn't have single weird or dumb story from my theatre to tell this weekend...

Basically me and the other usher were taking out the garbage a from Magnificent 7 and found no less than 20 of those stick figures from Blair Witch hanging all around the outside of the movie theatre. Seriously it was weird. We had been in the lobby all night and had seen nobody go by at all; all of these must have taken a while to build it was really kinda creepy even though it's dumb kids playing some sort of prank.

I thought it was maybe one of the teenagers in Blair witch but when they all got out of the movie they seemed pretty surprised (and a lot of the girls freaked out) by it. Seriously one of the weirdest things that's happened there in a while.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also posting this in the CC thread, you gotta hear this; and I had though this would be the weekend where i didn't have single weird or dumb story from my theatre to tell this weekend...

Basically me and the other usher were taking out the garbage a from Magnificent 7 and found no less than 20 of those stick figures from Blair Witch hanging all around the outside of the movie theatre. Seriously it was weird. We had been in the lobby all night and had seen nobody go by at all; all of these must have taken a while to build it was really kinda creepy even though it's dumb kids playing some sort of prank.

I thought it was maybe one of the teenagers in Blair witch but when they all got out of the movie they seemed pretty surprised (and a lot of the girls freaked out) by it. Seriously one of the weirdest things that's happened there in a while.

Pretty clear the Blair Witch is haunting your theater. She must have moved from Burkittsville to British Columbia

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Pretty clear the Blair Witch is haunting your theater. She must have moved from Burkittsville to British Columbia

Lmao unfortunately "the Blair witch of British Colombia" sounds like the least scary thing in the world :lol: even though honestly they could totally film a Blair witch movie here with our environment. 

Me me and tonight's supervisor sent a picture of them to our GM and he just said "lol" ?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lmao unfortunately "the Blair witch of British Colombia" sounds like the least scary thing in the world :lol: even though honestly they could totally film a Blair witch movie here with our environment. 

Me me and tonight's supervisor sent a picture of them to our GM and he just said "lol" ?

Is it okay for you to post that picture here? I would love to see that!

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Oversea crowds continue to sleep on black stars.

If Black Panther flops I'm going to start my own BLM movement.

#BlackStarsMatter.

It's a majority white cast, Denzel is the only black actor in the entire film.  This is a more of a issue of "Westerns" not translating overseas.   We Amercians have to understand not everyone loves our folklore of "The Wild Wild West".   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Is it okay for you to post that picture here? I would love to see that!

Ill text my supervisor rn and ask if he kept the one on his phone; only ones I had were for snapchat, at least the ones on my phone anyways :lol: 

But ya it was kinda funny, but super random at the same time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

It's a majority white cast, Denzel is the only black actor in the entire film.  This is a more of a issue of "Westerns" not translating overseas.   We Amercians have to understand not everyone loves our folklore of "The Wild Wild West".   

Outside of Will Smith movies, films with black leads typically underperform overseas.

7 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Outside of Will Smith movies, films with black leads typically underperform overseas.

What about Eddie Murphy? He had some steady OS-performers as well.

The Beverly Hills Cop-trilogy, Coming To America, Dr Doolittle, The Nutty Professor, The Haunted Mansion.

They all had him as the lead, and they all made over $100M OS, well...except for Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 3.

9 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Wow, that's a disappointing OW for M7, just a bit above The Equalizer? Where's the Pratt effect? If Passengers ends being a success, it will be thanks to JLaw.

Yeah OK. No one went to see this movie for Pratt and no one will go see Passengers for him either.

Except for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Wow, that's a disappointing OW for M7, just a bit above The Equalizer? Where's the Pratt effect? If Passengers ends being a success, it will be thanks to JLaw.

Nah, of passengers is a big hit it'll be because it's a well marketed interesting looking sci fi film coming out during the popular winter season. With JLaw adding a couple million for sure, but that's it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Well, considering the fact that it opened in the same range of previous Denzel movies, I would say that Pratt had no effect at all. 

We already had this discussion in this very thread, so a re-hash this soon seems pretty redundant to me.

If you think no one went to see this movie because of Pratt, you're wrong. Twitter is full of tweets about people going to see this because they want to see his new movie.

It's debatable how many viewers he drew and I'd give you that Denzel was the main draw (he was always marketed as the lead).

In Passengers, Pratt and JLaw's combined star power is the main selling point. There are those who say she's not a proven draw either. I guess people will just come because they like space.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

What about Eddie Murphy? He had some steady OS-performers as well.

The Beverly Hills Cop-trilogy, Coming To America, Dr Doolittle, The Nutty Professor, The Haunted Mansion.

They all had him as the lead, and they all made over $100M OS, well...except for Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 3.

Well I was talking about more recently.

Will Smith pretty much took Eddie Murphy's place as the only minority marketable worldwide.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Will Smith pretty much took Eddie Murphy's place as the only minority marketable worldwide.

Everybody on planet Earth know Denzel, Morgan and Samuel tho.

They are big movie stars to me, worldwide.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I must be mistaken but when exactly did Jlaw prove she's a BO draw? (As opposed to just a critical darling). I really haven't seen it so far. Pratt at this point is probably just as much of one (which is to say meh).

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

True. :)

Which makes me wonder......why didn't Hollywood pitch a movie with both Will Smith & Eddie Murphy together? :(

Pick any genre of a movie....either a comedy, a drama, an action-film or a special effect-driven film. I so would have wished to see both Smith & Murphy together in a film......and it never happened. :(

• Like 1