WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

11 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Oversea crowds continue to sleep on black stars.

If Black Panther flops I'm going to start my own BLM movement.

#BlackStarsMatter.

Dude so what ! Get your head out of your @SS -- Don't go there, don't open up a can of worm where it doesn't need to be. Audiences will flock to a good movie no matter who's in it period.

• Like 1

Without Jennifer Lawrence starring, Joy makes less than 20 domestic. If that. Absolutely nothing going for that movie but her.

Of course Passengers has a higher bar than 60 domestic, but there's a sizable audience out there that wants to see her in movies.

• Like 1

Just now, Celedhring said:

Without Jennifer Lawrence starring, Joy makes less than 20 domestic. If that. Absolutely nothing going for that movie but her.

Of course Passengers has a higher bar than 60 domestic, but there's a sizable audience out there that wants to see her in movies.

Are you seriously going to argue that just because she was in a movie as opposed to a random actress that makes her a "draw?" Please... This analysis is so shoddy it's not even worth discussing.

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Wow, that's a disappointing OW for M7, just a bit above The Equalizer? Where's the Pratt effect? If Passengers ends being a success, it will be thanks to JLaw.

Chris Pratt is waaaaayyyy too new to the box office game for people to put so much weight on his shoulders. Nobody even knew who he was this time 3 years ago. Box office superstars don't fall off trees. It's all about building audience trust.

Angelina Jolie ain't that much of a draw either.

By the sea was an utter bomb that nobody saw and Maleficent was all about Disney s brand and Avatar inspired production deisgn ( the direcotr was Avatar s main art director).

1 hour ago, Subzero said:

Dude so what ! Get your head out of your @SS -- Don't go there, don't open up a can of worm where it doesn't need to be. Audiences will flock to a good movie no matter who's in it period.

No, they actually won't.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Blair Witch failed Baumer said:

No, they actually won't.  

Granted true  not always (latest STB and Ghosbuster.. cough ....) - but it's overall not just black actors which what I was refering to etc.....

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Wow, that's a disappointing OW for M7, just a bit above The Equalizer? Where's the Pratt effect? If Passengers ends being a success, it will be thanks to JLaw.

I'm sure some will say that, some will say Pratt, some will say 'the combination' and some will say space (with three other space movies out in the same period let's see if they all have the same BO.)

I think both Jen and Pratt have draw, but I'm not sure those absolutely convinced otherwise will ever be convinced against their current positions.

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

Are you seriously going to argue that just because she was in a movie as opposed to a random actress that makes her a "draw?" Please... This analysis is so shoddy it's not even worth discussing.

Joy opened considerably better than anticipated and she was given credit for that.  But as I've said above I don't think stars open films that have poor reputations to a big amount, they can add excitement to and make a blockbuster out of a good film that wouldn't get nearly as much traction without the stars.  IMHO.

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

JLaw is such a draw guys! Without her THG, Xmen, American Hustle would have made substantially less... /rollseyes

There are certainly those with that opinion, including me.

A twitter scramble happened the other day, it turned out Jen's character is going to be named 'Aurora Lane' not 'Aurora Dunn'.  Enough Jennifer Lawrence fan accounts had already invested in Aurora Dunn or named their accounts after that character, that there was quite  a debate.  To the point where it trended #2 in the UK (and who knows what it was elsewhere, someone just tweeted this and I saw it).

And there was another scramble over avatars because a ton of people snagged the same one of Jen as soon as the trailer came out. And the Passengers activity has been on both Pratt and Jen's side. Obviously, twitter is anecdotal, but there is rarely ever conclusive proof of anything if you have an entrenched opposite opinion. I think most will think the size of Passengers' opening will be down to the combined star power of its stars, however.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm sure some will say that, some will say Pratt, some will say 'the combination' and some will say space (with three other space movies out in the same period let's see if they all have the same BO.)

I think both Jen and Pratt have draw, but I'm not sure those absolutely convinced otherwise will ever be convinced against their current positions.

Yup, that's my view as well. 

IMHO, being a "draw" doesn't mean people will automatically go see whatever you do, regardless of reviews, genre, quality etc. It just means enough people care about a certain actor/actress to have an intial interest in their upcoming projects. It means more eyeballs await the trailer, it means more hype for upcoming news. 

It does not mean that a total stinker is going to make a ton of money.

To me, Mag7 vs Ben Hur shows the power of movie stars. If people want to only credit Denzel for that, fine, he deserves a lot of the credit. To me The amount of views Passengers trailer has shows the power of movie stars. Do people really think it gets that much interest without Pratt and JLaw? Every entertainment site I visited had that trailer on their front page. That doesn't happen with every single trailer that comes out.

Will it be a huge financial success? That will have to do with reviews, genre appeal and WOM, on top of the inital interest created in large part by the star power involved.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Subzero said:

I'm not allowed to bring up the fact that black stars don't have much pull overseas?

Why the fuck not?

We're all adults here and it's on topic.

So stop being a little snot-nosed baby.

"He brought up a reasonable race issue, someone stop him"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm not allowed to bring up the fact that black stars don't have much pull overseas?

Why the fuck not?

We're all adults here and it's on topic.

So stop being a little snot-nosed baby.

"He brought up a reasonable race issue, someone stop him"

You are putting it in such a sense that it's pretty much making it a racial issue ...in which your statement are false.

Since There are much more white actors in holly wood than blacks therefore the percentages of white actors movies don't farewell over there either ...if you wanted to look at it that way.

Will Smith was just in Suicide Squad and that movie did pretty dam well over-seas ..... STB and Ghostbuster was mostly white casting...and that did shit over seas .... So stop your non-sense.

Edited by Subzero

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Do people really only go to a movie because of who it stars ? I'm a huge fan of Pratt and Lawrence but I'm seeing Passengers because the premise intrigued me. The fact that both of them are starring is just icing on the cake.

Well it helps.  Or else you could just put two no name actors in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Well I was talking about more recently.

Will Smith pretty much took Eddie Murphy's place as the only minority marketable worldwide.

That's not true. There are so few major films starring black leads, and hollywood has barely tried to make new stars besides white straight men. (who flop just as much) 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1