WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Do people really only go to a movie because of who it stars ? I'm a huge fan of Pratt and Lawrence but I'm seeing Passengers because the premise intrigued me. The fact that both of them are starring is just icing on the cake.

not really.  Yes there are cases, but it's getting more rare than it obviously used to be where people just to go a unappealing movie just due to the stars.

Like you said in the next sentence, nowadays, most people go because of the premise now and "stars" then may add to that.

10 minutes ago, 75live said:

not really.  Yes there are cases, but it's getting more rare than it obviously used to be where people just to go a unappealing movie just due to the stars.

Like you said in the next sentence, nowadays, most people go because of the premise now and "stars" then may add to that.

I agree that they won't go ONLY because of the stars, but the stars and a potentially good movie can make a movie sell quite a bit better.  I probably wouldn't have gone to see Sully if not for Tom Hanks,  on the other hand, I am not going to see Inferno.

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

I have just seen Tarzan. Wow. What a great movie! How the hell did it end up rotten on RT?! The cinematography was just gorgeous! I have no doubt Yates will do a fantastic job with Fantastic Beats (no pun intended).

If the main strength of a movie is the cinematography, chances are it wasn't a great movie.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Do people really only go to a movie because of who it stars ? I'm a huge fan of Pratt and Lawrence but I'm seeing Passengers because the premise intrigued me. The fact that both of them are starring is just icing on the cake.

I can't even count how many movies I've seen just because of the stars lol.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Blair Witch failed Baumer said:

Well it helps.  Or else you could just put two no name actors in it.

Clearly it helps, my point was more about is she a true draw like we've historically described other actors who their name alone could pull in viewers. She's been in mostly successful ensemble films so it's hard to accurately judge it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, James said:

I have just seen Tarzan. Wow. What a great movie! How the hell did it end up rotten on RT?! The cinematography was just gorgeous! I have no doubt Yates will do a fantastic job with Fantastic Beats (no pun intended).

Thought Tarzan was alright. 34% was too harsh, but I would have also been surprised with anything over 65.

39 minutes ago, Subzero said:

You are putting it in such a sense that it's pretty much making it a racial issue ...in which your statement are false.

Since There are much more white actors in holly wood than blacks therefore the percentages of white actors movies don't farewell over there either ...if you wanted to look at it that way.

Will Smith was just in Suicide Squad and that movie did pretty dam well over-seas ..... STB and Ghostbuster was mostly white casting...and that did shit over seas .... So stop your non-sense.

Will Smith is the exception and Ghostbusters sucked, so those are poor examples.

Also bringing up race doesn't automatically disprove my point.

Certain nations have preferences. There's nothing wrong with looking closer at them.

Especially when whitewashing is often defended as a legitimate business decision.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I bet Passenger neither breaks out or disappoints meaning the Pratt/JLaw box office draw debate will continue until the end of time. :WHATanabe:

I know this is partially a joke but clearly one film doesn't make a trend anyways. We need a bigger sample & we will for sure get it over the next few years as they both branch out a bit.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I bet Passenger neither breaks out or disappoints meaning the Pratt/JLaw box office draw debate will continue until the end of time. :WHATanabe:

I think it'll be quite big actually. It and Sing seem like the big alternatives to Star Wars this holiday season (Assassin's Creed looks like a flop waiting to happen).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think the debate is a given regardless of how Passengers does.  A lot of people have entrenched opinions and no proof one way or the other is likely to be sufficiently determinitive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

I said in both directions.  But why do I have a Jennifer Lawrence avatar?  Do you think it might influence what movies I see?  :P

Haha, glad to see you got the joke. The truth is you should be open to changing your mind on both JLaw & Pratt being true A-list draws. Like I said above, we really don't have enough stand alone data on either yet.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Haha, glad to see you got the joke. The truth is you should be open to changing your mind on both JLaw & Pratt being true A-list draws. Like I said above, we really don't have enough stand alone data on either yet.

I'm pretty sure I'm as open to changing my mind as you are open to changing your mind. :ph34r:  I don't say we have enough data though.  I just believe stars can be draws based on my own experience and how my friends and I select films.

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I'm pretty sure I'm as open to changing my mind as you are open to changing your mind. :ph34r:  I don't say we have enough data though.  I just believe stars can be draws based on my own experience and how my friends and I select films.

Well of course, we all have our opinions. I guess the ? is how much you are willing to change it based on data that isn't personal & if you aren't what's the point of having the discussion anyways?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Well of course, we all have our opinions. I guess the ? is how much you are willing to change it based on data that isn't personal & if you aren't what's the point of having the discussion anyways?

Is there likely in the real world ever going to be the kind of data that would change your mind though?  It would in fact take something very clear cut to make me think Jen isn't a draw, since I know for a fact she draws me and others like me.  I admit the bias, but I'm also a data point, however anecdotal. I am not sure the two sides are going to meet, even acting in good faith.  We might eventually just agree to disagree.

• Like 2