WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Star power doesn't matter for animated features. Louis CK was the lead in a $365m dom movie this year.

Yeah, I was going to say that.  I havd no idea who 'voiced' the animation movies I loved, OR didn't until just recently when I started following films more.

Having said that, Storks just doesn't look like the greatest story to me, but then I thought the same about SLOP.

Edited by trifle

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

oh yes, because the youngsters were DYING to see both films. Sully was sold as the carbon copy of Flight, so the nature (downer Flight and feel good Sully) of both films don't come into play. And Flight actually had the advantage of being the first of the two. Plus 1900 theaters is still a wide release, I would give you that point had it done something like 30m on opening weekend.

LOL Goffe

Log off. Go outside. Get some perspective.

Sony are lucky that Hotel Transylvania, Smurfs and to an extent Cloudy were successful as I imagine SPA would have closed by now. 

WAG seems to taking the WDAS/Pixar approach with their Think Tank but they don't have an actual studio using companies like Animal Logic, Imageworks etc for the animation itself, Storks costs $70m which is slightly lower than Illumination but half of Pixar. Interesting that they're using live action directors like Nicholas Stoller and Dax Shepherd to help co-direct their films, 

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

14M Friday wouldn't get Mag7 to 40M, but maybe the number will go up with the rest of the day to come. 14M would also be a lower Friday to Previews ratio than The Equalizer, maybe it can push to 15M Friday which would make 40M the target.

That's good for a western though.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Here’s a quick update of what we’re seeing from matinees. This comes from rival estimates: Sony/MGM/Village Roadshow/LStar’s Magnificent Seven is galloping off with a $14M Friday and a potential $40M weekend. That would give director Antoine Fuqua the best opening of his career, easily eclipsing The Equalizer and it’s bound to rank among Denzel Washington’s top three openings alongside American Gangster ($43.6M) and Safe House ($40M). We’re told that’s not bad for a movie that carries a production cost of $90M.

Warner Bros.’ Storks is doing less than what we thought with a $5M Friday, flying to a $20M weekend. The thing to remember with these kids’ pics is that they pop on Saturday, and they leg out eventually. Again, all these figures could change by evening.  Despite the competitive head wind, Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’sSully is still maintaining a great altitude, down 35-40% for the weekend with $13M-$14M putting its cume through three weekends at close to $93M. Universal’s Bridget Jones’s Baby is projected to be down 40% with $5.1M and a 10-day take of $17M. Lionsgate’s Blair Witch is dropping at least 60% to $3.8M and a 10-day of $15.9M. Open Road’s Snowden is -50% with $4M and $15M.

Storks gonna rally or nah?

Edited by ecstasy

Really a $14 million OD isn't bad for a western. $38-$41 million OW wouldn't be too bad for it. But we're a little early with the expectations since its only matinees right now. But 5 million OD for Storks? That's embarrassing it has a $70 million production budget which could help leg it out but WB has their ways to get back with overseas and what not.

More upheaval at Paramount @CJohn

Rob Moore is leaving his post as the vice chairman of Paramount Pictures, Variety has learned.

Jim Gianopulos, the former chairman of Twentieth Century Fox, is rumored to be joining the studio in a senior position.

Moore, who didn’t respond to requests for comment, has been in his current job since 2008 (and with the studio since 2005), overseeing Paramount’s worldwide marketing, distribution, digital and television arms, and shepherded tentpoles like the “Transformers” and “Mission: Impossible” franchises, “Interstellar” and “The Wolf of Wall Street.”

However, the studio is having a particularly turbulent year at the box office, with costly flops such as “Ben-Hur,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” and “Zoolander 2.” This week, Paramount announced in its Viacom earnings call that it would be taking a $100 million write-off on the still unreleased “Monster Trucks,” which bows in 2017.

• Like 1

Just now, Treecraft said:

Fuck me that's bad for Storks. I haven't seen any marketing for it (though I'm not 100% sure when it releases here)

October 14th with previews the week before but I imagine Trolls which is released a week after will do better. It's also releasing in the same week as Inferno in the UK which will likely do very well.