chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

10 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I think Bakshi's problem with this list is his most recent feature animation film was in 1983. So there really isn't much to remind people to check out his earlier work.

Also not enough people on here have seen his films.

If a Bakshi film had made my list (and none really did), it probably would have been either Heavy Traffic or American Pop, I do quite like both of those films.

33rd - Howl's Moving Castle

202pts - 15 votes, 1 top 5, 3 top 10, (2014: 40th Up 7)

Yeah, I really did not like this film,

Don't get me wrong it is pretty and all, the problem is that I just happened to read the book first and this film is absolutely not the book, I don't often get overly frustrated when a filmmaker takes liberties with source material and there are changes here that make sense from a filmmaking point of view, especially considering the target audience of the film. 

It still doesn't mean that i am going to enjoy it though. Luckily, I only have to speak negatively about one more film after this one. 

An increase of 7 places is strong this high up the list and the love for Ghibli this year is strong and expected. 

• Like 10

On 18.11.2016 at 10:56 PM, DamienRoc said:

There's a lot of live action in Cool World. 

Also it was 1991, so still not really recent. 

Cool World was a baaad baaaad movie, that's the main problem.

My Bakshi ratings at imdb are as follows:

Cool World: 3/10 (tried to cash in on Roger Rabbit's success and failed miserably)

Fire and Ice: 4/10 (that one has some good animation and cool designs but the story sucks big time)

Wizards: 5/10

Coonskin: 5/10

Fritz the Cat: 5/10 (loved the Crumb comic and find the adaption lacking and partly boring)

Hey Good Lookin': 6/10

The Lord of the Rings: 7/10 (uneven as the animation is, it DOES convey some of Tolkien's atmosphere)

6 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Cool World: 3/10 (tried to cash in on Roger Rabbit's success and failed miserably)

Fire and Ice: 4/10 (that one has some good animation and cool designs but the story sucks big time)

Fritz the Cat: 5/10 (loved the Crumb comic and find the adaption lacking and partly boring)

The Lord of the Rings: 7/10 (uneven as the animation is, it DOES convey some of Tolkien's atmosphere)

Heavy Traffic might be his one genuinely good movie. It's the only one I've seen in full.

• Like 1

Yeah I read the book for Howl's Moving Castle first too (which I loved) and I remember seeking out the animation expecting a similar story but was quite surprised when it turned out to be a lot different (more so since I was unfamiliar with ghibli back then). Still I think each have their merit and charm and both have stuck with me to this day. Happy to see it high on the list :) 

• Like 4

On 11/20/2016 at 9:49 AM, IndustriousAngel said:

Cool World was actually heavily meddled with. The original intent was to make a much racier harder edged R rated movie but Paramount wanted something more family friendlier, and because of that the film we ended up with was a bit of mess. You can tell in the final product too, there are moments where they tried to push things, but then they back down a bit. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Cool World was actually heavily meddled with. The original intent was to make a much racier harder edged R rated movie but Paramount wanted something more family friendlier, and because of that the film we ended up with was a bit of mess. You can tell in the final product too, there are moments where they tried to push things, but then they back down a bit. 

Thank you, hadn't known that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Thank you, hadn't known that

I actually learned about that information from a podcast a few years ago, where they talked about "movies that never got made. Doubt it would have made the final film great, but it's still interesting to note nonetheless. 

32nd - Grave of the Fireflies

203pts - 12 votes, 2 top 5, 3 top 10, (2014: 61st Up 29)

Possibly the greatest animation ever made, but at the same time, don't watch it! It's horrible to watch. 

So I eventually got around to watching this film about 2 or 3 years ago and... well I started getting, let's say emotional, about 3 minutes into the film and this state continued about 90 minutes after the film had ended.

The story is so strong and the voice acting spot on to make you really feel for these two kids trying to survive WW2 Japan. You find yourself angry, sad and on rare moments elated by the experiences that kids both go through and at times bring upon themselves.   

The love for this film among people that have seen it seems clear. It was very early on in proceedings actually number 1 in the list and hung around in the top 5 and 10 for quite a while. In  the end, it dropped outside the top 30 I would assume due to voters unable to find/watch the film. It has risen almost 30 places since the previous list (my 3rd place spot gave it a boost in itself.)

• Like 9

31st - South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut

209pts - 17 votes, 1 FIRST, 1 top 5, 1 top 10, (2014: 32nd Up 1)

Best R Rated animation ever. 

I never saw the appeal of South Park when it came out. It felt immature, silly and reliant on shock value (and I was about 13 or 14 when season 1 came out). Then I bought my first DVD player in 2000 and it came with a DVD bundle (A DVD bundle you are about to see clearly aimed at nobody), consisting of Mystery Men, Seven Years in Tibet and This. 

Well I decided to watch this as the first DVD I ever watched in my life and well, yeah turns out this is one of the funniest films that you will ever see. The songs are genius and there was even a strong message. Needless to say I decided to give Season 3 of the TV series a shot and now am a massive fan of the show pretty much thanks to this film. 

This was another film to start strong, at one point almost topping the whole list after about 10 votes. However as with Fireflies the second half of listmakers began to ignore Matt and Trey's offering and it slipped down to pretty much the same spot as 2014. 

• Like 7

30th - The Nightmare Before Christmas

211pts - 17 votes, 1 FIRST, 1 top 5, 1 top 10, (2014: 30th No Change)

A collection of great songs linked together by an average story. 

Yeah the animation is cool and as said the songs are mostly great, but the story is kinda 'meh' to me to be honest. Not bad, just not 'greatest animation eva!!!!' level good. It is a film worth watching, but I personally feel that 30th is a little on the high side (I put it about 80th on my list.)

Also, when should you watch this? Halloween or Xmas? 

Our 3rd non-changer, 30th in 2014, 30th now.  

• Like 9

29th - Bambi

218pts - 18 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10, (2014: 35th Up 6)

The first Disney film I saw in cinemas...

...on rerelease obviously, I ain't no Tele who took his grandkids to see it on opening night. And yeah also one of the first films to scare me as a child (you know the scene that did it). I kind of considered this an underrated Disney classic, but obviously I was wrong, it is still pretty rated.

This film is at times dark, others cute and others just down right adorable, even @Christmas Baumer likes it.

An increase of 6 places is also pretty impressive at this stage in the game.  Not many films of this age left in the list. 

• Like 13