Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Wonka already opens in my country - Vietnam today.

Reviews are stellar on all fronts (granted these comes from press screenings).

Lots of praise for the songs and music. Set designs are spectacular.

It's basically a visual feast. Quote on quote "this movie's look is perfectly beautiful".

Timothee performance is "excellent". Great story. Fun. Some "one of the best mvoies of 2023".

Recommended for all audience. A must see for this Christmas.

Booked my tickets for Sunday. I see some of my friends who rarely go to cinema also book tickets to see this with their girlfriend (IMAX).

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 2

The RT critics consensus sounds more like a synopsis this time around, but it's very positive:

Critics Consensus

With director Paul King at the helm and some solid new songs at the ready, the warmly old-fashioned Wonka puts a suitably sweet spin on the classic character while still leaving some room for the source material's darker undertones.

84% from 80 reviews, 7.4 by the way (top critics has 7.8 somehow)

• Like 2

I still don't get why film twitter and the blogger bros were so bent up against this. I have to assume they didn't know who Paul King is, but it's just bizarre to see some of the most scathing reviews for this coming from the fan-site black hole when those guys eat up any schlock on the regular.

3 hours ago, TMP said:

I still don't get why film twitter and the blogger bros were so bent up against this. I have to assume they didn't know who Paul King is, but it's just bizarre to see some of the most scathing reviews for this coming from the fan-site black hole when those guys eat up any schlock on the regular.

Because by all accounts it's a warm fuzzy good hearted movie and also a musical. Everything they hate.

• Like 2

‘Wonka’ Looks To Confect $30M From Early Offshore Bow; ‘Migration’ Flying Into First Markets – International Box Office Preview

Warner Bros/Village Roadshow/Heyday Films’ Wonka begins early release in 37 international box office markets this session, ahead of the domestic bow on December 15. Next week will also see the addition of all other overseas markets, save Korea which is going at the end of January.

Current estimates for this frame’s offshore bow — which includes such majors as Spain, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, the UK, Japan and China — are for a $30M early debut for the Timothée Chalamet-starrer. 

Comps here are The Greatest Showman which had a $28.1M opening in like-for-like markets at historical rates ($24.9M at today’s dollars); Paddington, also from Wonka director Paul King, at $26.2M historical and $21.9M restated; and Mary Poppins Returns with $24.9M at 2018 figures and $23.8M at today’s rates. (Note we are not comping to Tim Burton’s 2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory due to the length of time that has passed in the interim.)

We’re looking at the UK to be the biggest of this frame’s starts, and not putting too much sway on China. The latter market has been inhospitable to Hollywood fare for some time. 

I just finished the movie and I've just seen the most "holiday" movie in recent years. I can safely say the GA will eat this up, they will really really eat this up. Yes it is formulaic but at least a well executed one. I would say this is better made and crafted TGS, tightly paced and never lose its charm from start til the end. Only if they can make the third act more exciting and complete. Songs wise, TGS definitely has a better soundtracks and Wonka has some catchy but just fine songs to make this a worthy musical take. 

Given just how much the movie is fitting holiday atmosphere, I am actually surprised WB's initial plan was to release this during March? Glad that WB stick this movie in Dec instead of moving Dune 2 here.

Overall I agree Wonka is a very agreeable feel good crowd-pleaser but I can understand the criticism too. The movie failed as a prequel to 1971's Willy Wonka. The story was very standalone and almost made you felt like it was an original movie that WB just choose to throw this original story into the "Wonka" universe to boost its awareness. In regard to Chalamet, he is too charming, so charm til you aren't sure if he is playing Wonka or a Santa Clause. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

In regard to Chalamet, he is too charming, so charm til you aren't sure if he is playing Wonka or a Santa Clause. 

That's something I've noticed from the trailers. One of the reason why I have good expectatives for Wonka.

However, it seems a good amount of people complaint about this trait on Wonka. I don't know a lot about 1971 movie, but it seems Wonka wasn't so nice on these movies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

That's something I've noticed from the trailers. One of the reason why I have good expectatives for Wonka.

However, it seems a good amount of people complaint about this trait on Wonka. I don't know a lot about 1971 movie, but it seems Wonka wasn't so nice on these movies.

Willy Wonka was a straight up sociopath in the 1971 movie lol. He seemingly very much enjoyed to see children suffer.

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Willy Wonka was a straight up sociopath in the 1971 movie lol. He seemingly very much enjoyed to see children suffer.

Yeah, the 1971 movie had a little bit kid-friendly horror tone but that is totally absent in the 2023 prequel, not even a single tribute to the darker and twisted side of Willy Wonka in the 1971 version. That could explain why the 1971 version didn't do well at BO. This round they choose to play safe and mass-appealing and I believe this may piss off the fans to the original. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

"Willy Wonka was a straight up sociopath in the 1971 movie lol. He seemingly very much enjoyed to see children suffer."

Sure made him memeable though. Most of the kids deserved it.

Hey, im not saying i didnt like it. On the contrary, i love Gene Wilders Wonka (and yes, the kids deserved it) Just saying that Timothees version doesnt seem to be same person to me 😄

• Like 1