Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Just saw the movie, it’s the definition of a feel good crowdpleaser. The sold out screening i went was laughing during the whole movie and everyone came out with a smile. 

The OW are looking very disappointing, like 20-25M based on sales. 

I can see a very high multiplier tho with the movie exploding during holidays. 

• Like 6

Just got out of it. I'd say I still like Timmy best when he's doing emotional scenes. Those are always ingrained in my soul.

The new songs are so so, but Pure Imagination is fantastic. Some people in my showing shed tears.

Overall, the movie is good, not without some problems but it sticks the landing and has this old-skool, classic vibe so I think most everyone will come out very satisfied and happy. I'll definitely watch it again.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Mary Poppins 2 comparisons (i think for a lot of reasons right now it's the perfect example to predict how this could play in the long term)

Uk 10.2M  (+900K)

Mexico 1M (+4.2M)

Spain 1.5M (+2.9M)

Germany 2M (+1.6M)

Japan 1.7M (+1.1M)

Brazil 550k (1.5M)

Edited by vale9001
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Mary Poppins 2 comparisons (i think for a lot of reasons right now it's the perfect example to predict how this could play in the long term)

Uk 10.2M  (+900K)

Mexico 1M (+4.2M)

Spain 1.5M (+2.9M)

Germany 2M (+1.6M)

Japan 1.7M (+1.1M)

Brazil 550k (1.5M)

Pretty good start it seems.

Full Update via @Deadline

It was good news all around with Timothée Chalamet-starrer Wonka launching to $43.2M in 37 markets, well ahead of pre-weekend projections. The Paul King-directed origins story/musical ranked No. 1 in 32 markets. In like-for-likes and using today’s exchange rates, the film is tracking 95% above Paddington, 77% over Mary Poppins Returns and 50% over The Greatest Showman.

In Latin America, Wonka was tops for the region with 63% market share, surpassing the above comps by 232%, 145% and 129%, respectively. In Europe, the film was No. 1 in each of its launches.

As expected, the UK was the lead play at $11.1M, boasting a 73% market share of the Top 5. This will be the 2nd biggest opening for a Warner Bros film in 2023, behind Barbie, and the 4th biggest 3-day industry opening of the year. Results are ahead of all comps.

Wonka dominated Mexico with $5.2M and a nearly 70% share of the Top 5. The start is roughly on par with Jumanji: The Next Level and well above all comps noted above. 

Spain’s $4.4M 5-day opening ranked at No. 1 with a 34% share of the Top 5 and is the 5th biggest industry opening of 2023. In comparison to other 5-day openings, Wonka came in 15% ahead of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny as well as 337% over Puss in Boots: The Last Wish and 214% ahead of Sing 2 (the latter two both Christmas releases). It also topped Paddington’s 6-day opening by 391%.

In Germany, Wonka’s No. 1 $3.6M start had a 34% share and performed well against the comps. China rounds out the Top 5 with $3.2M, ahead of fellow U.S. opener Migration. The flu and a cold front across most of China continues to impact the market, affecting families directly. Opening weekend results are over The Little Mermaid by 29% and Dial of Destiny by 41%. Word of mouth and ratings are very positive (Maoyan 9.3, Taopiaopiao 9.3, Douban 7.6). IMAX generated 16% of the total opening weekend grosses from 737 screens.

In total IMAX, Wonka kicked off with $2.3M from 846 screens. 

OS Thread of Wonka

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Expect to see WB drop the final trailer in the next few days? I don't get WB's decision to hide its "musicals" nature. Should just play rendition of "Pure imagination" in their 2nd trailer. Remember how "A whole new world" in Aladdin's 2nd trailer helped to reverse the initial bad buzz of Aladdin remake?

Lmao at that random as hell Kojima endorsement, I’ve seen it all.

Very odd top critics avg is skewing notably higher than overall despite a lower tomatometer. Gotta be that Paul King style I guess since normally this would not be the kind of movie to get better ratings from top critics