Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

3 hours ago, Squire said:

Considering Wonka is currently running at least 50% ahead of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which made $475M WW, what is this one looking to make? I suppose a lot depends on the domestic numbers, but is at least $500 M WW looking like a safe bet?

Yes. If it follows Mary Poppins legs which has way worse WOM it will end with 325M OS. I think domestic has no problems reaching at least 175M. 

If it trends like TGS, will be 400M+ OS and 250-300M DOM. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Squire said:

Considering Wonka is currently running at least 50% ahead of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which made $475M WW, what is this one looking to make? I suppose a lot depends on the domestic numbers, but is at least $500 M WW looking like a safe bet?

In my opinion can reach 300M OS so at least 450M global should happen.

• Like 1

This movie is doing so much better than even I thought it would do OS.

Here's hoping DOM follows.

I really tried watching it this weekend but couldn't make the subtitled shows time slots work for me, this sucks. I prefer to wait to watch it in English at home than to watch it dubbed, but I really witch I could watch it on a big screen.

• Sad 1

I drove past my local IHOP (International House of Pancakes) restaurant this weekend, and they had a huge banner out about their new Wonka menu. Let the tie in begin.

Here is a link to the IHOP website for details

:https://www.ihop.com/en/specials/wonka

COme to think of it, Warners had a IHOP tie in with Man Of Steel.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

With the OS performance and early WOM, I’m fully on board #3 for the year DOM now. Wonder if it can hit 3rd WW? Opp is making a push for a bil, and I’m not sold yet this can touch 1b WW. Either way, I’d be very surprised if 4th DOM and WW don’t happen at the least. 

Your really think this is going to gross more than Guardians domestic and WW?

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

With the OS performance and early WOM, I’m fully on board #3 for the year DOM now. Wonder if it can hit 3rd WW? Opp is making a push for a bil, and I’m not sold yet this can touch 1b WW. Either way, I’d be very surprised if 4th DOM and WW don’t happen at the least. 

Listen im all for optimistic predictions, but this is ... a bit too much and i fear youre setting yourself up for a bit of a disappointment when the movie grosses a measly 500M Worldwide.

Wonka for sure has many good things going for it, but id wait for the DOM OW (and probably its first full week in general) to really judge how high it could go. OS start is impressive, but definetly not Oppenheimer-level, even with the holidays approaching.

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Listen im all for optimistic predictions, but this is ... a bit too much and i fear youre setting yourself up for a bit of a disappointment when the movie grosses a measly 500M Worldwide.

Wonka for sure has many good things going for it, but id wait for the DOM OW (and probably its first full week in general) to really judge how high it could go. OS start is impressive, but definetly not Oppenheimer-level, even with the holidays approaching.

I said months ago I thought this had 400 potential, and I’m gonna go full throttle on it now that I’ve heard reactions and what kind of movie it is. I fully expect Jumanji WTTJ 2.0 at the box office here. The stronger than expected OS start gives me more hope for OS as well to be equally huge. 

39 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I'd like to see that universe but after seeing other analysis, I'm gonna be happy with 200-300M DOM.

If it can get close to 40M OW, or just over it, I truly believe that it can get to just over 300M, and it wouldn't contradict any realistic comps or analysis, as a bit over 7x legs for this time of the year is perfectly doable with great WOM, so let's be optimistic!

Either way, I think anywhere over 200M would be a fantastic number, specially considering how well it is already doing OS.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 5:16 PM, joselowe said:

Your really think this is going to gross more than Guardians domestic and WW?

No if it was any other holiday season besides this one. With no true heavy hitter though and amazing WOM, there’s really no reason to not expect a 10x+ holiday WOM phenom here. To me the odds are so much higher for that than they were with say Jumanji 2 for example. 

Casual GA essentially starved for huge 4 quad appeal since Barbenheimer also makes it highly unlikely for there not to be a massive breakout this holiday.

Edited by MovieMan89

15 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Not really off for a great start. 88% verified audience score after 100+. A- cinemascore incoming?

Have a feeling people just didnt know its a Musical.  A B+ cinemascore wouldnt surprise me because of that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Not really off for a great start. 88% verified audience score after 100+. A- cinemascore incoming?

Wildly different sort of movies and situations, but HG:BOSS has 89% and it did get a B cinemascore and yet had great WOM and a good multi from OW despite everyone thinking it was going to be frontloaded due to fan rushing, so I'm trying to keep that in mind when it comes to audience scores.

With that said, I did think it would start off with a little more, but then again Paddington of all things "only" has 80% audience score and Paddington 2 also has 88%. And then there is The Greatest Showman at 86%.

There's also the surprise musical thing that has just been pointed out above.

So I guess what I'm saying is that ehh, seems fine.

Edited by Arlborn

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Wildly different sort of movies and situations, but HG:BOSS has 89% and it did get a B cinemascore and yet had great WOM and a good multi from OW despite everyone thinking it was going to be frontloaded due to fan rushing, so I'm trying to keep that in mind when it comes to audience scores.

With that said, I did think it would start off with a little more, but then again Paddington of all things "only" has 80% audience score and Paddington 2 also has 88%. And then there is The Greatest Showman at 86%.

There's also the surprise musical thing that has just been pointed out above.

So I guess what I'm saying is that ehh, seems fine.

Both Paddington are before verified era. I did expect a little better tbh but it might also just be worth considering americans just care and like this one less than their overseas and especially european counterparts. Paddington 2 had an 82% OS ratio may I remind lol