Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Brilliant trailer. I am betting on this being the biggest movie of Oct-Dec time frame. 

I think so too. Although considering how the rest of the year looks that might not be saying much. Having said that I think it will be big with the perfect release date. This is the most christmasy not a christmas movie looking  ever. 

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Brilliant trailer. I am betting on this being the biggest movie of Oct-Dec time frame. 

I'm starting to seriously consider this as well. I think Willy Wonka is similar to Mario and Barbie as an IP that almsot everyone is familiar with and love but has not been milked to death. It won'r be nearly as big as either of those were, but I could see it reaching say, $300M in America if audiences fall for it (and Paul King's Paddington movies were quite good, so even though I'm mixed on the trailers I could certainly see that happening). 

Edited by JonathanMB

10 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

I'm starting to seriously consider this as well. I think Willy Wonka is similar to Mario and Barbie as an IP that almsot everyone is familiar with and love but has not been milked to death. It won'r be nearly as big as either of those were, but I could see it reaching say, $300M in America if audiences fall for it (and Paul King's Paddington movies were quite good, so even though I'm mixed on the trailers I could certainly see that happening). 

It has always looked like the biggest breakout of the end of the year to me, the Christmas vibes should really help it as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I still think it looks rather square compared to Migration, might get better reviews but I'm not convinced it will be able to endear itself as much to a casual American family audience when Illumination's marketing machine is in full swing.

Just looked at Migration trailer and its just crap. It might succeed but I am confident Wonka will beat it. Wonka is going for Charlie and Chocolate factory adjusted number. 

This is more akin to Jumanji than Mary Poppins.

Mary Poppins Returns was released 50 years after the original.

Jumanji 2017 was released 20 years after the original

And this is releasing 20 years after the Burton version (granted, it is technically a prequel to Wilder's version, but still)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think this goes one of two ways: 1) it’s nothing special but it’s gonna have the default family xmas movie on lockdown so it has a solid showing - 35/155/450 maybe. 2) it’s as delightful as his Paddington movies and blows up with a WTTJ style run - 50/400/900. 

Lean towards the later since it is Paul King and not Rob Marshall because it would just be another Poppins Returns. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 2:11 PM, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

After seeing the trailer,  I don't know if Timothee is that good of an actor. Even with good acting I think this movie is not going to do well

I worry he will end up being like Keven Spacey in SUperman Returns....not so much doing the role but doing an imitation of the previous actor who did the role.

But this film is pure escapsim, and people might want that given the huge amount of Shit I see coming our way.

And moving it up a week is a good idea. WIll be one week more to dominate the box office before Aquaman opens.

• Like 1

The thing that really sours me on this movie is that awful looking CG when Wonka opens that jar of magical bead things. Rest of it looks passable but the only thing that really makes it stand out from any other generic kids fantasy is Chalamet and King's names, the former of whom I'm not convinced has the kind of gravitas in the role that Wilder or Depp had.

Edited by AniNate