Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

for Warner:

barbie

the nun 2

dune 

wonka

Meg 2

color purple

aquaman

and they also have all the international distribution (expect for France) of Challengers.

Seems like all could make good money but Dc exists so Blue Beetle if The Flash and Shazam weren't enough...

I’m not understanding why they would put The Color Purple one week after Wonka.

I used to work for them and they’ve owned OWN for years so Oprah will likely get priority for press during the winter season. 

6 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I’m not understanding why they would put The Color Purple one week after Wonka.

I used to work for them and they’ve owned OWN for years so Oprah will likely get priority for press during the winter season. 

It's strange

I think both doesn't have any chance for oscars, if not for actors for the colour Purple, so i don't think they are there because of "award season" but because probably they want Christmas season for musicals and covid forced them for a same year release, but clearly as musicals they can have a same kind of audience.

Well the Christmas season Is long and people usually can watch more than a movie for week. 

Absolutely see this being the movie of the holiday season. It feels very in line with

Barbie sensibilities in terms of attracting a lot of that demo. I also have noticed a HUGE following develop among 20/30 somethings for the Paddington films over the past few years. People adore them (as they should), and this is 100% the Wonka character channeled via King’s Paddington films based on that trailer. Think King is going to finally get a well deserved box office juggernaut here, especially since I trust the movie will be good at the least. 

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

It's strange

I think both doesn't have any chance for oscars, if not for actors for the colour Purple, so i don't think they are there because of "award season" but because probably they want Christmas season for musicals and covid forced them for a same year release, but clearly as musicals they can have a same kind of audience.

Well the Christmas season Is long and people usually can watch more than a movie for week. 

I think Warner is expecting The Color Purple to sweep Oscars season. Maybe not Woka though.

But every major pundit is at least expecting TCP to get a BP nom.

https://variety.com/lists/2024-oscar-predictions/
https://www.awardsdaily.com/2023/06/09/2024-oscar-predictions-the-best-picture-connection-to-actor-and-actress/

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2023/2024-oscars-early-contenders/amp/

12 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I think Warner is expecting The Color Purple to sweep Oscars season. Maybe not Woka though.

But every major pundit is at least expecting TCP to get a BP nom.

https://variety.com/lists/2024-oscar-predictions/
https://www.awardsdaily.com/2023/06/09/2024-oscar-predictions-the-best-picture-connection-to-actor-and-actress/

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2023/2024-oscars-early-contenders/amp/

BP could happen if it's a very very big success. For me It's not a sweep oscars season movie cause seems without any particolar technical peak, same as Wonka. This predictions are made maybe even before the first trailer, so of course the movie could have been a movie for the awards, but after the trailer i would say it's not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Timothee looks perfectly cast. Great production design by the look of things too. 

I found the Johnny Depp version creepy (him) and annoying (everything else). 

I hated the whole backstory about Wonka and his father...which does not exist at all in the Dahl novel. It was the first sign that BUrton obessesion with charecters with "Daddy" issues had gotten out of hand. He seemed determined to shoehorn that into every movie he made, no matter how badly it fit in with the rest of the film.

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

It's strange

Barbie and Dune 2 will be WB's main Oscar players. Wonka's gonna clean up the holiday season. 

I think they scheduled 2 musicals for Xmas cause they target different audience. Wonka is obviously very family friendly and should do well OS which CP won't. 

I remember the first time I head they were doing a movie about Willy Wonka and I laugh out loud. I mean Willy Wonka? Really? But tbh it doesn't look all that bad. 

I definitely got HP vibes from this trailer and I've seen others say the same thing, which makes so much sense when I realized they got David Heyman from the HP franchise to work on this alongside Paul King who directed the two Paddington movies.

Idk how well this will do, on the one hand it's a prequel about a character who isn't all that popular tbh. But they got a hot up and coming actor to play the role so that could draw in the younger crowd. I just hope to god WB didn't spend 200 million on this.

• Like 1

Love that they are calling back to the Wilder film vs. the Burton BS. My interest in this was like 1/10 before now it’s at least a five. Weird that for a musical we see a bit of some dance numbers but hear no songs. That will be the make or break for this. A couple catchy tunes and it will do gangbusters. If the soundtrack is blah, it’s another Mary Floppins.

I am stunned by the overall vibe of the trailer. It is perfection. I think this is going to be a gigantic holiday hit. Man WB are going clean up in November/December. No doubt Aquabro opens bigger but this should have brilliant legs. 

Edited by excel1

13 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Social media reactions seem mixed so far, but I don't think this movie is really going to be marketed towards the average film twitter power user.

13 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

This screams underperformance. Not necessarily a bomb, but definitely an underperformer.

This is not Elvis type thing , as non-american I judging this will purely run on whatever "star power" Tim has acquired otherwise it needs to be really fun family movie.

In some way the odd of this film's is indirectly depends on how much Dune 2 works in favour of Chalamet it can create positive cascade effect on Wonka by the Xmas time.

• Like 1