Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is feeling more and more like a nonevent compared to the buzz it had when the first trailer landed ngl. 

Feel like I mostly saw and still see a ton of really viral tweets about how he was miscast and fearing it might be the 2023 Cats.

But you never know.  Twitter isn't real life,  the theatres are kinda dry and it at least looks Christmassy. Also on the very tiny off chance the strikes end in the next couple of weeks WB will have him everywhere in an instant.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, thedast said:

Feel like I mostly saw and still see a ton of really viral tweets about how he was miscast and fearing it might be the 2023 Cats.

But you never know.  Twitter isn't real life,  the theatres are kinda dry and it at least looks Christmassy. Also on the very tiny off chance the strikes end in the next couple of weeks WB will have him everywhere in an instant.

Exactly if the movie delivers at least as a all audience crowdpleaser it will be fine with holiday legs. And there is more than a tiny chance the strike will be over in the next few weeks. Next few days eh not so much.

I am admittedly losing some confidence in this, but I really think it has to do well by sheer virtue of something needing to for Xmas. There’s just no way I can see Aquabro being a huge hit like the first. Not with the CBM fatigue we’re in the thick of and the million other factors going against it. I already think it’s possible we go the whole Thanksgiving stretch without having a real hit. But I don’t think it’s possible that can happen for Xmas. So Wonka it is. But maybe more like 200-250 rather than my lofty 350+ hopes. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am admittedly losing some confidence in this, but I really think it has to do well by sheer virtue of something needing to for Xmas. There’s just no way I can see Aquabro being a huge hit like the first. Not with the CBM fatigue we’re in the thick of and the million other factors going against it. I already think it’s possible we go the whole Thanksgiving stretch without having a real hit. But I don’t think it’s possible that can happen for Xmas. So Wonka it is. But maybe more like 200-250 rather than my lofty 350+ hopes. 

Honestly as I have pointed out a few times Thanksgiving does not look bad. Wish and HG; Ballad both have breakout potential if they are good. Napoleon same thing if it is good Ridley and not bad Ridley. Yeah none of them will be massive but relative to excapatations just fine. And if the christmas movies do decently at least all the gloom will mean nothing. 

WB has really gone out promoting the film in the UK with tie-ins with the likes of Aldi, Kinder and sponsoring the ice rink and tree at Westfield and that's just with what I've seen in the last fews. Keep in mind the film isn't out for another month,

I just learned now that the second trailer was released 3 weeks ago. It's really difficult for new major trailers to slip my view. Very little social media buzz around the second trailer.

Other than the extended Hugh Grant riff at the end, was another enjoyable trailer. Easygoing charm and whimsy. I expect this to play well over December and into January. Probably a relatively muted opening with good legs. Probably closest to Into The Woods. But tbh these musical films are one of the most unpredictable genres.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

On 11/4/2023 at 2:11 PM, emoviefan said:

Honestly as I have pointed out a few times Thanksgiving does not look bad. Wish and HG; Ballad both have breakout potential if they are good. Napoleon same thing if it is good Ridley and not bad Ridley. Yeah none of them will be massive but relative to excapatations just fine. And if the christmas movies do decently at least all the gloom will mean nothing. 

Napoleon is my most looked forward to film this Thanksgiving, but I think it chances of breaking out are low, even if it is good, I hate to say it, since Historical epids might be my favorite genre of film, but they are a hard sell nowdays. It can be done, as Oppenheimer shows,  but it's uphill climb. And, jfor various reasons, I think Oppenheimer, with it's WW2 setting, is an easier sell then Napoleon.

18 minutes ago, Morieris said:

just in time for Tim to actually namedrop the film during SNL this Saturday @Eric Danvers

No chance for a Wonka sketch, but I'm sure there will be an unfunny mention about how he's now allowed to say movies he was in in his monologue.

This and Color Purple are easily going to be the two best press tours for the holiday season. Already ecstatic over the cheesy Buzzfeed/Wired videos and Hugh Grant and Colbert gabbing about nothing. Gonna be great!