That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Saturday Asgrard pg 28 or 29 DS 32 Trolls 19 HR 5.8

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

DWA needs to budget with the expectation that their films will make 125-150 dom. So give them 75-100m budgets then that gives them enough room to be profitable with whatever OS is. Then they might actually be successful again. Their days of being able to give everything a 125-175m budget are behind them for the time being. 

I agree but I don't think they could slash their budget to $75m without closing down the main Glendale campus and outsourcing everything to China and India and apparently the studio in India hasn't been all that successful, Penguins of Madagascar was originally meant to be animated solely in India but fell behind schedule so they needed help from PDI which increased the budget. 

It's amazing how films like Storks, Pets etc can have almost half the budget of a DWA film but still look decent. 

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

If you want to know the budget of a movie, be patient and watch the credits, you'll see how many people worked on the movie.

Given the Dr Strange credits, I would say the movie cost around 200m.

Credits are not a good way to judge budget.

Yet somehow...it worked well for you this time. ;)

3rd Update, Friday 9:06PM: Doctor Strange is casting a spell over the masses who are now shelling out an estimated $82M this weekend to check out Marvel’s medic at 3,882 theaters with today alone grossing in $32M range. 

Doctor Strange isn’t crushing DreamWorks Animation’s family offering Trolls which is looking at an opening day of an estimated $12M with a FSS of $42.4M, an opening that’s above the studio’s Bee Movie ($38M) yet below Megamind ($46M) opening. 

In third, it’s Lionsgate/Summit’s Hacksaw Ridge with an estimated $14.7M, after a $5.1M Friday. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Normally movies get a big bump on Election Day, but this time around I think they won't get the normal bumps because the drama on TV might be must watch. The race can't be called till 8pm Pacific at the earliest. Going to make for some compelling television. 

I'm guessing a few TV viewership records will be broken. Tuesday will be epic.

Not that I want her to, but Hillary will win NC or FL and that will wrap things up early, imo.

Trump's concession speech could be epic TV, though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I agree but I don't think they could slash their budget to $75m without closing down the main Glendale campus and outsourcing everything to China and India and apparently the studio in India hasn't been all that successful, Penguins of Madagascar was originally meant to be animated solely in India but fell behind schedule so they needed help from PDI which increased the budget. 

It's amazing how films like Storks, Pets etc can have almost half the budget of a DWA film but still look decent. 

I like seeing people paid well but...

I can't argue with this.  But that Glendale facility...the building is pretty.  And they get free lunch.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Not that I want her to, but Hillary will win NC or FL and that will wrap things up early, imo.

Trump's concession speech could be epic TV, though.

He's not gonna concede lol. He's gonna go to his grave claiming the whole thing was rigged.

I just checked my theater and it appears ticket prices have fallen a bit (matinees are now $8 when they used to be $8.25 and regular shows are now $10.50 when they used to be $11.50). This happening for anyone else?

Seeing both Doctor Strange and Hacksaw Ridge tomorrow btw. So excited.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, grim22 said:

3rd Update, Friday 9:06PM: Doctor Strange is casting a spell over the masses who are now shelling out an estimated $82M this weekend to check out Marvel’s medic at 3,882 theaters with today alone grossing in $32M range. 

Doctor Strange isn’t crushing DreamWorks Animation’s family offering Trolls which is looking at an opening day of an estimated $12M with a FSS of $42.4M, an opening that’s above the studio’s Bee Movie ($38M) yet below Megamind ($46M) opening. 

In third, it’s Lionsgate/Summit’s Hacksaw Ridge with an estimated $14.7M, after a $5.1M Friday. 

So decent numbers all around after all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, picores said:

Looks like Trolls is gonna mimic Peanuts run, 120-130m total but with a higer OS revenue of 200m+

There's nothing to suggest that it'll have the unexpected poor legs that Peanuts had though.

Edited by Fancyarcher

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

There's nothing to suggest that it'll have the unexpected poor legs that Peanuts had though.

Last November was horrendously awful. Literally Spectre/Peanuts then Hunger Games flop finale. There could have been some decent turnouts like possibly The Night Before could've made $60-$70 million domestic for example. Creed was the most interesting turnout of the month. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This off to a promising weekend. Also there's Saturday numbers that could help boost up results. Either way solid results hopefully it holds up, and we have our first time in a while that 3 new releases are off to decent starts and none flopped.

• Like 1

Dr Strange doesnt know what it wants to be. It tries to balance the dark, serious, cerebral metaphysical world with Marvel's brand of audience-friendly humor and large-scale mayhem. One moment you have Tilda Swinton in a monk's robe explaining complex mystical rules, the next you have Cumberbatch making lame Beyonce jokes and bounding like a caped video game character from one dimension to the next. It's all very clunky and makes you long for the cool edgy style of The Matrix because the filmmakers lack the nerve to embrace what the story is about and try to force it within the confining parameters of a Marvel movie.

The great Tilda Swinton is wasted. I hope she collected a big paycheck.