kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I would point out that Swifties are (in)famous for... looking for hidden meanings in any and all Taylor Swift material.

So it is not exactly a surprise to see people leap to a conclusion here. 

Might be intentional, might not be.  Might also be Confirmation Bias, as well as some folks playing to the audience for likes and clicks.

Either way, helps build buzz for the film.  How much buzz and how much that actually matters in the grand scheme of things is more debatable.

I agree about the gullibitly of fans, but  if she is not in it, the studiio had better be prepared for a backlash . They certainly are fueling the rumors.

26 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I agree about the gullibitly of fans, but  if she is not in it, the studiio had better be prepared for a backlash . They certainly are fueling the rumors.

I said nothing about gullibility, even by implication.

A great deal of them like to "hunt for clues" as part of a social pastime with friends on the internet.  Very few of them are actually at It's Always Sunny level of conspiracy board thinking. 

Now as for Marvel winking and nodding along?  I tend to think we'd be hearing through backchannels/spoilermongers if there was a large chance that Swift isn't in this film.  So I would agree there that Marvel better rip off that bandaid pdq lest they get a decent sized backlash on their hands.

(not that the backlash would amount to much, but film studios should try to head off controversy, even if it is mostly meaningless in the end)

• Like 1

Does it really make much difference? Taylor’s fans have happily ignored all of her previous movie roles. It doesn’t seem like they’re particularly invested in the idea of her as an actress. 

52 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Does it really make much difference? Taylor’s fans have happily ignored all of her previous movie roles. It doesn’t seem like they’re particularly invested in the idea of her as an actress. 

Buzz and interest is a funny thing as there's little rhyme and reason to it.  I don't think Taylor Swift having a meaningful role in the film would mean all that much in the end.  Not adding a huge amount to the OW, that is.  On the other hand, I think Lady Gaga being in Joker 2 *IS* very meaningful, despite her not being a "draw" in and of herself in some of her previous films.

(yes, I know the obvious difference between the two situations so no need to point it out, thankyewveddymuch)

Think of it more as synergy/force multiplier than anything else.  Or rather, more positive prerelease buzz = more hype = more initial interest = stronger opening, no matter what the actual reason is for the "more positive prerelease buzz" at the beginning of the equation.

Now, of course, the smaller the role, the less of a deal this is.  Including all the way down to nothing burger.

Still, I do think we collectively sometimes swing too far into the "Nothing that happens on social media matters" side of things versus the "buzz is buzz no matter what the source".  

Taylor Swift being in this film would add buzz, at least as long as it isn't a blink-and-you-miss-it type deal.  And as I often say, we ignore/discount buzz (positive or negative) at our peril.

12 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

It was Ant-Man 3 which started it.

No, it was Ant-man 3 which ended it.

Spoiler

It was Eternals that started it — but it *was* DS2 that was really the first big important wedge, given the centrality to the saga plot.

12 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

This is gonna probably be the biggest r rated movie of all time and people will still say Marvel is dead

This may well be the biggest r rated movie of all time and marvel will still be dead.

The strength of the brand is determined by how much it can bolster movies people otherwise wouldn’t see heavily, not by how 3rd entries of pre-existing strong trilogies perform.

1 hour ago, Legion Again said:

No, it was Ant-man 3 which ended it.

Reveal hidden contents

EXACTLY, you're 100% correct

Ant-Man 3 literally marked the collapse of the MCU. 

Comments like these are exactly why you are the best and most accurate user on this entire forum

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

EXACTLY, you're 100% correct

Comments like these are exactly why you are the best user on this entire forum

You might be the only one around here with a higher opinion of my opinions than myself :hahaha:   :hahaha::hahaha:

Definitely not around enough anymore to be the best user and I meme/snark too much to be best value/post either, that’d probably be someone like Barnack. 

1 minute ago, Legion Again said:

You might be the only one around here with a higher opinion of my opinions than myself :hahaha:   :hahaha::hahaha:

Definitely not around enough anymore to be the best user and I meme/snark too much to be best value/post either, that’d probably be someone like Barnack. 

Well, I guess the better phrasing would be "my personal favorite"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Legion Again said:

This may well be the biggest r rated movie of all time and marvel will still be dead.

The strength of the brand is determined by how much it can bolster movies people otherwise wouldn’t see heavily, not by how 3rd entries of pre-existing strong trilogies perform.

Oh please, talk about moving goalposts

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh please, talk about moving goalposts

I will happily talk about moving goalposts. “Moving goalposts” is a phrase used to describe when one set of goals or criteria is initially laid out, but when those initial criteria is met, they are modified to a second set of more difficult criteria on the fly rather than acknowledging that the initial ones had in fact been met.  

Keeping that in mind we can see clearly that this is not an example of moving goalposts since the post you’re quoting is not a 2nd more difficult set but indeed the first that I have offered.

Hope that helps with the concept of moving goalposts :) 

Edited by Legion Again
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ant-Man 3 literally marked the collapse of the MCU.

You've never, not once, been able to explain what makes Quantumania and The Marvels "the new normal" and not outliers. Especially with your incessantly annoying stuff about Guardians 3 opening under 100 million, a thing that literally did not happen

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Legion is correct. A very poorly received movie with all new characters and pandemic issues was able to do $400M+ globally  back in November 2021 because of the strength of the brand. If it was well received it would've opened to $100M+ (based on presales). Release Eternals now and it probably does Flash/Marvels money 

The MCU is neither dead but neither is it in the same situation as it was in say 2014-2019 where any Z-List character could be catapulted to BO gold. It's in a middle phase where it needs to stick to its most popular IPs, which is what Iger said was the plan anyway.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Saying "Deadpool 3 won't be a success but even if it is it doesn't count" is absolutely moving goalposts. Give me a fucking break.

a Fox Men movie with Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman being huge does not mean Captain America 4 and Thunderbolts won’t bomb 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

a Fox Men movie with Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman being huge does not mean Captain America 4 and Thunderbolts won’t bomb 

You do realize Fox no longer exists and the same studio is making all three of those movies, right 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't see what Shaun Levy and co. stand to gain by playing coy when asked about her instead of flat out denying she's in the film if she's not in the film. She is VERY much a part of the film. It's the extent of her contributions that need to seen.