kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

Deadpool 2 had more going against it than DP3 when you think of-

> Third weekend of IW, it being the biggest CBM
> Reshoot rumors
> Poor test screening rumors
> There was a chance Solo might have performed like a standard star war movie

DP3 has none of these but has more Pros like Hugh Jackman.

So I was at a convention yesterday and they happened to have a Deadpool 3 trailer playing after one of the panels. I heard some chatter that I found a bit concerning. One person was commenting about how it supposedly follows Loki season 2 and the other person said something along the lines of "I haven't watched Loki season 2 yet so I'll have to watch that before it comes out." It's not really a big deal if they want to watch it, but I hope it doesn't turn some people off.

1 hour ago, Mad Max007 said:

Deadpool 2 had more going against it than DP3 when you think of-

> Third weekend of IW, it being the biggest CBM
> Reshoot rumors
> Poor test screening rumors
> There was a chance Solo might have performed like a standard star war movie

DP3 has none of these but has more Pros like Hugh Jackman.

Tbh reshoot/poor test screening rumors barely phase the GA in terms of walkups/ticket buying. I do think that while DP3 has better pros and less cons than DP2, I think CBMs were in a far better place in terms of overall positivity in 2018 vs 2024. I do think while I don’t think the past MCU films will affect it, superhero movies apart from Across and Guardians 3 have been on the downturn last year. Don’t think it’ll define D&W but it’s something to consider. Going to go with $160m/$400m/$900m OW/DOM/WW before the trailers drop.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Maybe it's just not fully updated yet but my local big IMAX theater doesn't have any listings for this, just Dolby and 3D. Does Twisters have some exclusivity deal?

It shouldn’t. The Marcus with IMAX in Illinois have their showtimes up.

Will track DP3 later but I think I might feel more optimistic about the 175m+ some are adamant about. Lincoln Square has had an IMAX showing sold out and in the four SE Wisconsin theaters I track, DP3 is about over half of Furiosa’s T-4 Thursday sales in the past fifteen minutes in just the PLF showings.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Maybe it's just not fully updated yet but my local big IMAX theater doesn't have any listings for this, just Dolby and 3D. Does Twisters have some exclusivity deal?

I doubt it. It has IMAX in other places.

This movie was destined to open huge the moment Hugh Jackman's return was announced. The concept of seeing Ryan Reynolds's Deadpool cross paths with Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is insanely alluring. The enduring appeal of the two characters involved will seal the deal, as they can stand tall on their own even when the larger Marvel brand is in a slump.

The real wild card here is its staying power after its opening weekend. And that'll depend purely on how good the movie itself turns out to be. And considering that this was pushed into production during the dawn of the strikes, I'm not fully confident. For Marvel's sake, I sincerely hope they've managed to sort out any potential issues during the second half of filming, as well as the recent reshoots. Because this will be their last truly appealing movie for a long time, and they need it to be good, as the goodwill that would generate would be direly needed to boost their about-to-be-remade Captain America 4 and risky Thunderbolts next year.