75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

1 minute ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Any updates since THR estimated 30?

Unfortunately not. I would feel much better, if somebody would at least confirm that number, that would make the movie way less frontloaded, then anticipated and would bring hope for it's run over the holiday next weekend and give it a good shot at surpassing the 200m milestone and securing the sequels and the vision in Rowlings head. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James said:

Seriously, there's no way this day becomes better. FB destroyed my wildest expectations and J.K. Rowling liked my tweet about FB. This is fanboy dream life right here. 

How many followers do you have?

Just now, That One Guy said:

Why are people saying Fantastic Beasts was dark.  I'm confused.  Aside from a few scenes, it's mostly light in tone.

Spoiler

A woman who adopts kids to spew propaganda and whips them with a belt if they don't obey her orders ISN'T fucked up?

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Why are people saying Fantastic Beasts was dark.  I'm confused.  Aside from a few scenes, it's mostly light in tone.

I haven't seen it, but it even got a PG-Rating in Germany. 
Just to compare, they cut some scenes in Chamber of Secrets a couple of years ago, because they originally got the PG-13 Rating.
But then, times have changed...

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:
  Hide contents

A woman who adopts kids to spew propaganda and whips them with a belt if they don't obey her orders ISN'T fucked up?

The belt whipping isn't even shown, it's implied but all we see is some scars and Credence handing her the belt.  And even then, that plot point doesn't take up the entire film.  Probably 5-10 minutes at the most

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kswiston said:

Oh, I agree, but I can see how Sony would push Angry Birds over Billy Lynn.

That said, I am not entirely convinced that even Finding Dory is a nomination lock. With Zootopia a lock for the ballot, and presumably Moana as well, voters may choose to forgo a third Disney film and spread the love to some of the lower budget stuff. Japanese films not made by Studio Ghibli typically get passed over, but Your Name might have made enough buzz with its (eventual) $200M+ Japanese run to get some recognition stateside. 

Funimation really needs to step up its game with Your Name's Awards campaign. As a distributor, they've never had an Oscar contender before, and I think it's showing.

Edited by cannastop

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:
  Hide contents

I'm with you.  I would use the word dark as well.

Spoiler

along with the fact that when kids were 'suppressing' the magical gene they were killed and turned into violent apparitions that murdered people.  i can imagine explaining that to an 8-10 year old time and having a very tough time.  

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

So how disappointed  is Warner Bros with their heavy hitters (Harry Potter, DCEU)?

Do they need an overhaul or stay the course?

We have no idea what their internal projections were. I sure don't think they're disappointed with SS -- that basically over-performed everyone's expectations, so much so that it effectively countered any underperformance by BVS.

• Like 5