75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I'm gonna spend the entire next month catching up with the promising foreign/lower-profile stuff from this year. The Invitation, Right Now Wrong Then, The Fits, High-Rise, Cameraperson, Certain Women, OJ: Made in America, Weiner, The Alchemist Cookbook, The Wailing, The Handmaiden, Elle, Divines, the Demme/Timberlake concert movie... Gonna be good. And hey I'm looking forward to Rogue One too.

Ehh, High-Rise you can skip. Certain Women I was mixed on but the last 30 minutes are amazing. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm gonna spend the entire next month catching up with the promising foreign/lower-profile stuff from this year. The Invitation, Right Now Wrong Then, The Fits, High-Rise, Cameraperson, Certain Women, OJ: Made in America, Weiner, The Alchemist Cookbook, The Wailing, The Handmaiden, Elle, Divines, the Demme/Timberlake concert movie... Gonna be good. And hey I'm looking forward to Rogue One too.

Foreign films have been my favorite this last decade. Usually the Bollywood stuff gets me, but the Koreans have been stepping up their game.

51 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Everyone loves to say they are blockbustered out, but then great mid-range stuff like The Nice Guys, Arrival, Popstar, Allied, Bridge of Spies, Ex Machina and many others come out and people half ass support them.  

Well to be fair, I think the people here who are blockbustered out support those kinds of movies. 

• Like 1

I feel like I've mellowed out a lot when it comes to movies and thinking of my opinion as some sort of objective truth. I used to nitpick a lot more when it came to reviews, now I'm just a lot more comfortable in rating something based on how emotionally connected I am or how entertained I was. The rest is almost purely subjective, and IMO it's kinda pointless to dive into that sort of nitty gritty. 

I also basically only see what I'm interested in, so my reviews are skewed towards the positive, for the most part. 

• Like 11

Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

Usually the Bollywood stuff gets me

What Bollywood movie have you been watching. This hasn't been a particularly good year for Bollywood so far. Only one big big hit and no movie getting overall critical praise. I have watched way way lesser Bollywood movies in a theater this year than any year I can recall.

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Foreign films have been my favorite this last decade. Usually the Bollywood stuff gets me, but the Koreans have been stepping up their game.

Yeah. There's The Age of Shadows too, which sounds promising. And next year we're getting Bong Joon-ho's new movie.

Superhero movies and Star Wars are the only thing that warrants a movie ticket these days.

If the kids beg to see an animated movie, I'll take them.

Outside of that, I'll just buy critically acclaimed sci fi (Mad Max, Ex Machina) on blu ray then watch them for the first time at home.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

2016 honestly might be the weakest year for films this decade. It's giving 2011 a run for its money, something I didn't think was even possible for the rest of this decade. 2017 has a lot to make up.

2017 is going to suck hard.

• Like 1