75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm a little worried Moana is going to pull a Good Dinosaur next weekend.

Any ideas why Good Dinosaur did so bad?

I'm not sure if Moana is in the same DOA situation with TGD but I'm also worried cause most of the time I'm hearing about Moana here is how "no buzz" it's generating.... but anyway.

think TGD ironically lost its Pixar-novelty factor coming too soon after IO's huge success, while to the fans it had been well known that it'd been in a production-limbo or some sort for a long time. 

so it was overshadowed by IO and TFA, and the release itself felt more like a salvage mission. Plus it looking a little bland for a Pixar film and having just OK reviews didn't help either. Its pre-release twitter buzz was less than Hotel Transylvania 2 according to the boxoffice.com analysis. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mahnamahna said:

Fantastic Beasts is doing what we probably should have expected all along: $70-75 million OW. $180-230 million DOM isn't bad since this franchise is clearly being made for the $500-700 million from OS grosses. 

Trolls and Doctor Strange both held as I expected. They should rebound nicely next week due to Thanksgiving. Trolls is on pace for $160-165 million DOM while Doctor Strange should end up at $225-230 million DOM. 

Sad to see Arrival having a harsh 2nd weekend drop. Paramount should have added another 500-750 theaters this weekend. 

If people based their expectations on what happened with The Hobbit, this seems pretty good. While the Hobbit had the younger version of one of the main players from FOTR, FB has none wrt HP.

I feel it has done fine. Would WB hope for a bigger OW, Certainly. But again who wouldn't hope for a bigger opening for their movies.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm a little worried Moana is going to pull a Good Dinosaur next weekend.

Any ideas why Good Dinosaur did so bad?

Good Dinosaur did poorly because Disney didn't give a shit. TFA was coming up soon anyways. TGD had a miserable production, so I think they wanted to wash their hands of it.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

What the hell is a Billy Lynn?

it is a new Ang Lee film that used to be one of the Oscar frontrunners before it opened but later tanked with bad reviews.. based on a book. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

What the hell is a Billy Lynn?

It's about a young war vet who is presented at the Superbowl halftime show.

It's by Ang Lee and quite a few people thought it was going to break out before it started to get poor reviews.

• Like 1