FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

I have to admit it would probably be hard to convince my 9-year-old cousin to see Moana. I think with boys you have to hope they "opt-in" to seeing a movie with a feminine overtone.

Didn't stop Frozen from making 400m DOM. It needed to appeal to boys for that to happen, or maybe it's just that nearly every little girl wanted to see it?

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Didn't stop Frozen from making 400m DOM. It needed to appeal to boys for that to happen, or maybe it's just that nearly every little girl wanted to see it?

Point is I think asking a boy if they want to see it will make them more resistant to it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

It's 115% larger than Frozen which did 94m for the 5-day. Even if was inflated more with increasing Tuesday admissions you would think 100m+ is quite likely.

while I've been an avid, open Moana supporter on this forum for a while (look at my sig!)

I want to remain cautious not to be too excited. Moana started with a more established brand image of Disney then compared to Frozen, and while Frozen seemed to have more pre-release buzz it was mostly generated among the family audience thus bigger weekend, smaller preview. Moana on the other hand seems to have more hardcore adult fanbase who would rush to the theaters on a preview night to check out the new Disney musical that has rave reviews and with music penned by Lin Manuel Miranda and a character voiced by the Rock.

...who am I kidding, I'm super excited! haha 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

I would think Maui would be very appealing to boys. It's basically The Rock as an animated superhero!

Not the second time The Rock played a Demigod either.

...tooth fairy?

Just now, ban1o said:

People said the same thing about frozen being too feminine and it smashed. People need to stop with this 

I'm going off personal experience here. It may indeed be a big hit but it's just a fact that boys aren't as likely to go for girly movies as girls are for masculine films. It's not that they can't be hits (women make up more than half the population, after all), but I can see why boys would not want to see it.

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Point is I think asking a boy if they want to see it will make them more resistant to it

I agree in a sense that it could be affected a little more than not when it has an actual gender-neutral alternative that is Sing, but will see.

I think @tribefan695is just stating the observed fact, not necessarily voiced the opinion of if it's ok or not.

TIME posted a kids review video on Moana and Trolls the other day with three 8-9 yr old kids (two girls, one boy) and a boy in there gave Moana 5 out of 10 while awarding Trolls "INFINITE".

Having said that, I want this to be a hit even more as another example than Frozen. Boys should know that "girly movies" are also fun when given a chance. and they can make $$$.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 1

Great Tuesday previews but really hard to say anything for at least another 24 hours.

I could still see this as a 70-75MM 5day on the low end and over 100MM 5day on the high end. 

A preview number can only tell you so much.

Actually probably the biggest thing I am watching now until the end of the year is can Disney get to 3B DOM. If both Moana and R1 overperform slightly it could get there. Given that DS still has a decent run left in it, they only need about 600MM from Moana and R1 combined by Dec 31 to get there.

• Like 2

That is an amazing number for Moana, but, like Tele said, overreaction is the nature of this forum. As amazing as it is, this is still a 2016 and a Tuesday midnight. And WDAS is way more established than it was in 2013, just like Marvel is, so I don't really see the point in saying: it makes double what Frozen did on midnights, so it will clearly do more. Does that take away from what a great number it is? Of course not. But better wait for the OD figure before starting to argue with people about a projection.

• Like 3

that's why people are also comparing it to the good dinosaur, which had about the same previews as frozen but about half the 5-day. moana doubled tgd's previews so it's a fair analysis to say that there's a good chance it doubles tgd's 5-day which would be about the same numbers as frozen's 5-day. seethe