Cmasterclay

Precursors 2016! Winners and Nominations

For what it's worth, that's huge for both Fences and Hidden Figures. They needed this, and they got it. Patel looking like our third lock in SA. Hedges and Grant are absolutely favorites, but I wouldn't be stunned if we woke up to Foster/Shannon either. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

For what it's worth, that's huge for both Fences and Hidden Figures. They needed this, and they got it. Patel looking like our third lock in SA. Hedges and Grant are absolutely favorites, but I wouldn't be stunned if we woke up to Foster/Shannon either. 

Is Mahershala Ali locked to win it? It seems like it. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Shannon's done. The fact he couldn't even overcome Aaron Taylor-Johnson, of all people, from the same film at the Golden Globes cements that the support isn't there for him.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I think Shannon's done. The fact he couldn't even overcome Aaron Taylor-Johnson, of all people, from the same film at the Golden Globes cements that the support isn't there for him.

That's a real shame. I personally found his Texas cop better than Bridges (and I liked Bridges!) 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

That's a real shame. I personally found his Texas cop better than Bridges (and I liked Bridges!) 

His recent political statements have most likely turned off a lot of voters, I imagine.

Octavia Spencer's looking good for Supporting Actress. Thinking this lineup will mirror the Oscars.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Who the hell put Emily Blunt on that list? That's absolutely laughable. Even the Golden Globes didn't stoop that low. Her performance was average at best and The Girl On The Train wasn't good. How much did the studio pony up to get that nom? 

There's always at least one random nom at the SAG awards. Naomi Watts in St. Vincent, Sarah Silverman in I Smile Back, Armie Hammer in J. Edgar, the list goes on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's always at least one random nom at the SAG awards. Naomi Watts in St. Vincent, Sarah Silverman in I Smile Back, Armie Hammer in J. Edgar, the list goes on.

They should have put someone on the list that would have been somewhat believable though. I'm a fan of Blunt but she has no place on that list what's so ever. I can think of plenty of actresses this year that would have had me scratching my head at their nomination but at the same time somewhat understanding why they made the list. It's a shame really because if they were trying to get that WTF moment, they could have done it with an actress who gave a performance that was somewhat worthy. 

But i feel good knowing im not the only one who feels this way. 

aren't the surprise nominees, like tom hardy in revenant, jonah hill in wolf, bale in hustle, cooper in sniper usually reserved for movies that screened late and missed the other awards? if pine couldn't get any love here why would he suddenly show up there?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

aren't the surprise nominees, like tom hardy in revenant, jonah hill in wolf, bale in hustle, cooper in sniper usually reserved for movies that screened late and missed the other awards? if pine couldn't get any love here why would he suddenly show up there?

HOHW is pretty much regarded to be in the Top 5. I'm not feeling Mortensen as the fifth spot, so I think it could be Pine. Who knows.

• Like 1

Moonlight and Loving are now in Adapted http://deadline.com/2016/12/oscar-shakeup-moonlight-and-loving-not-eligible-for-original-screenplay-placed-adapted-script-category-1201870607/

New predictions:

1. Manchester

2. La La Land

3. Hell or High Water

4. The Lobster

5. Jackie

1. Moonlight

2. Silence

3. Arrival

4. Hacksaw 

5. Lion

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

HOHW is pretty much regarded to be in the Top 5. I'm not feeling Mortensen as the fifth spot, so I think it could be Pine. Who knows.

Pine's not happening. There's just no path for him. And neither is Ben Foster, who really needed SAG and the Golden Globes to confirm his status.

Also, if Pine got nominated in addition to near-locks Garfield and Gosling, that would make 3/5 of the nominees under 40. Even in dead years, the Best Actor category never goes that young.

Outside of Streep and Blunt I can't say that I am unhappy with the rest of the noms - nothing seems out of left field besides Blunt (Streep is Streep after all). I am more surprised by the changes to Moonlight and Loving in the screenplay cats than the SAG noms.

• Like 1

Also Hidden Figures as a surprise BP nom shouldn't be a surprise - ever since Fox moved it up to Christmas limited opening it has screamed that is the 2016 version of The Help - right down to Octavia's Nominations everywhere over the Lead Actress who deserves it more (in this case Henson, although without seeing the film I can't judge if its an actual snub or not.) Hidden Figures strikes me as a balancing film between the older crowds aversion to Moonlight and the spinning it wheels were it counts behavior of Loving, although if all 3 got BP noms in the end it wouldn't surprise me.

I know they had some technical reasons and whatnot, but in my mind they simply wanted to award both Manchester and Moonlight in screenplay. I think this is the already locked award for both movies. I can see a scenario where Casey Affleck gets hurt by the gossip about his past or Ali gets overshadowed by more famous people in the televised awards , but the screenplay races are pretty much over.