baumer

Your Name (2016)

Grade it  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Thanks Baumer!

First off as an avid anime fan I had heard of this film months before getting to see it. It had been dominating the Japan Box Office and broken foreign anime records. The film is currently topping MAL's rankings - the biggest anime site on the web with an amazing score, which includes everything from movies to tv series. So I went in with huge expectations, so high it could not possibly live up to hype. Or so I thought...

This movie is simply put POWERFUL. I will sum up the story briefly as there are many turns are surprises that await you. Two high schoolers living in Japan - one a male living in Tokyo and another a girl living in a remote mountain town one day start swapping bodies due to unexplained phenomenon. That's all I want you to know going in story wise. The film touches heavily on the themes of romance and supernatural forces. You will grow to care strongly about the outcome of the two main protagonists as they are extremely relatable and likeable. There is also plenty of humor found in throughout the movie resulting from the body swapping as the two experience each others bodies and lives.

Lets talk about the visuals. This is on par, if not better, than anything that Studio Ghibli has ever put out. Which should come as no surprise as many of Director Makoto Shinkai previous films have all looked rather stunning. Its amazing what can be done on a much smaller budget than you would get with a Disney 2d animation film.

The third act becomes extremely emotional and moving. I am not going to lie and was shedding tears constantly! You genuinely care about the outcome of all the characters involved. The only complaint I would have is it can be a little cheesy and overly melodramatic

This film is one the best I have seen in my life. I have seen it twice already and will it see it more. It absolutely deserves you to check it out. A+

@SchumacherFTW

@lab276

add yours?

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

I'm pretty poor at being eloquent with my thoughts on a movie, so I'll just leave it at this: it's my favourite film of the 21st century, it's my favourite piece of anime to date, I'm pretty confident when it all shakes out over the months and years that this is comfortably going to be one of my favourite films from this point onwards. 

• Like 2

Although I've seen a number of anime films over the years Your Name is the first time I've seen one at the theatre. It's actually my first animated film at the theatre since The Simpsons Movie.  I hadn't even seen the trailer and had no idea about the plot. All I knew was that it was doing crazy business. 

It was fantastic. I loved it. It's hilarious at the start and then it dawns on you what's going on. It perfectly blends the drama and humour to make a wonderful film. 

My only complaint is that it slightly draws out the ending a little to long.  Still, it doesn't take anything away from such a beautiful looking and well crafted film. 

A+

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

Ok, I might be a teeny bit biased because I just love Anime films, and Shinkai's previous works are all amazing to me. Also, this is a romance film taken into a greater scale, kind of like Titanic, something I'm a sucker for.... So yeah, long story short, this is an A+ film for me. At any year, this would have been the #1 animated film for me, but for now, it have to settle for #2 of the year because Zootopia exists.

• Like 1

This thread is really hard to find, given that you can't search for "your" with the forum software.

Your Name a great and beautiful movie, and you can tell that there is a singular vision there, which almost never happens in American animation.

There are major flaws, though. The music video segments are jarring, and some of the narrative conceits seem a bit flimsy.

But this is a really enjoyable movie, and undoubtably an A.

Edited by cannastop