Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

the grand Budapest hotel was released on early march, still manage to grab best picture, best original screenplay nod in major category, and winning 4 in the end

mad max, released on may, too winning big at oscar night

Thanks.  I realize there are exceptions.  

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thanks.  I realize there are exceptions.  

what we need to do is keep reminding them there is a masterpiece called get out, and i hardly think there will be a backlash for such movie, this could be a moment of honor for horror genre!

btw, will the theater count for get out be even more in 3rd week? there is space for increment clearly, to 3300+ maybe

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

If there are any kind of mainstream critical darlings later in the year, they're going to overshadow this. Actually I think Logan already may have a slightly better shot at getting noticed.

No more than Deadpool did.

The academy doesn't think the Comic Book film is worth noticing.  You have to make a movie for $250,000 starring cliched characters but make it a relevant topic so that the academy can at least look like they give a shit about racism, or gender equality or women's issues or what not.  Logan does none of this so it will not be nominated for anything.

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Logan's reviews are better than Deadpool's, and it has a serious tone and immigration subtext you could latch onto if you were so inclined. That being said I don't think either film realistically has much of a shot.

:huh:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If there are any kind of mainstream critical darlings later in the year, they're going to overshadow this. Actually I think Logan already may have a slightly better shot at getting noticed.

Get Out has a much better shot to be an oscar thing, even a minor one. Logan has slightly better reviews than Civil War and it's not gonna come close to Deadpool at the boxoffice. Get Out has unprecedent critical support for the genre, tackles an "important" issue and it's probably gonna become the biggest horror hit of the decade. I think it can at least get a screenplay nomination.

If (or when) this tops $150M it will be a huge feat. The last horror film to top this number (unadjusted) was What Lies Beneath in 2000 $155.5M. The Conjuring just got past the $150M mark in 2013 if you adjust the films for inflation. 

3 hours ago, Hiccup21 said:

If (or when) this tops $150M it will be a huge feat. The last horror film to top this number (unadjusted) was What Lies Beneath in 2000 $155.5M. The Conjuring just got past the $150M mark in 2013 if you adjust the films for inflation. 

If it drops softly this weekend, then 150 is locked.

• Like 1

According to BOM, the highest grossing horror movies are Sixth Sense, Jaws, Exorcist, and Ghostbusters, but I don't consider Jaws or Ghostbusters horror films in the traditional sense at all. There's a very legit chance that this becomes the third highest grossing horror movie ever. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

According to BOM, the highest grossing horror movies are Sixth Sense, Jaws, Exorcist, and Ghostbusters, but I don't consider Jaws or Ghostbusters horror films in the traditional sense at all. There's a very legit chance that this becomes the third highest grossing horror movie ever. 

Ghosterbusters not really horror. Jaws is most definitely is horror. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hiccup21 said:

Ghosterbusters not really horror. Jaws is most definitely is horror. 

I consider it more of a monster movie thriller than a horror movie. I'd put it closer in category to Godzilla or Moby Dick than a horror, but I can see the argument for it.