Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

According to BOM, the highest grossing horror movies are Sixth Sense, Jaws, Exorcist, and Ghostbusters, but I don't consider Jaws or Ghostbusters horror films in the traditional sense at all. There's a very legit chance that this becomes the third highest grossing horror movie ever. 

JAWS is the pure definition of horror.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eevin said:

Not sure how you can say McAvoy doesn't belong?  Everyone has talked about his performance.  He did a tremendous job in Split and imo, there's no way the academy should not nominate him.  Although they won't of course.

The first test if a movie is horror is whether a group of people would watch it on Halloween.

The second test is whether people find the movie creepy or scary.

Jaws and Ghostbusters don't pass both tests.

Don't argue! Science, bitch!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Split got released at the end of 2016, McAvoy would have easily been nominated. He's better than 3/5 of last year's nominees.

I would say 4.5/5 of last year's nominees.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I blame John Goodman on Paramount. 

there's really no scenario where he'd have happened with that movie. same with mcavoy. no studio would campaign those movies even with their reviews. maybe in the earlier days but ever since Weinstein took over the oscars the campaign and "narrative" is the most important part.

• Like 2

I mean Jaws definitely terrified the nation, no argument here. But in their own ways, so did Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, and Jurassic Park. Hell yea, a good monster movie should be scary. That's the point! It actually is a reductive definition, but I really kinda like Grey Ghost's "Would it play on Halloween" thing. That's what I think when I think horror. But different opinions, of course. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's really no scenario where he'd have happened with that movie. same with mcavoy. no studio would campaign those movies even with their reviews. maybe in the earlier days but ever since Weinstein took over the oscars the campaign and "narrative" is the most important part.

Goodman had a narrative though: he's never been nominated. Paramount was foolish to not campaign for him even a little.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Goodman had a narrative though: he's never been nominated. Paramount was foolish to not campaign for him even a little.

eh. but sure since we're just in hypothetical land i suppose anything could've happened. will arnett could've got a nomination for best actor for lego batman last year.

You can dispute this all you want but I think Get Out is too slight for the academy. The social commentary is too blunt and superficial to make up for being a studio horror comedy.

There are plenty of other mainstream genre movies that stand more of a chance to get noticed later in the year imo

Edited by tribefan695

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Not sure how you can say McAvoy doesn't belong?  Everyone has talked about his performance.  He did a tremendous job in Split and imo, there's no way the academy should not nominate him.  Although they won't of course.

I was mostly just kidding ;). In all seriousness I wasn't a big fan of Split, but I can't deny McAvoy's strong performance. I just don't see the movie being on the same plane as something like Get Out or Logan.

• Like 2

I am willing to say that Get Out is locked for a Best Original Screenplay Oscar nomination this early in the year. You can say that I am crazy or reaching, but I am pretty great with these things. If Bridesmaids (another early release) and Straight Outta Compton both managed nominations there, then Get Out, which has greater critical acclaim and a likely greater box office performance, is surely going to receive one. It is also an extremely well written screenplay in a genre that is not usually associated with that. The real question is whether it will be able to receive a Best Picture nomination, which might be a real possibility given that the movie will probably have industry support. PGA loves nominating surprise mid-budget hits that are received well by critics (Bridesmaids, Deadpool, Straight Outta Compton), so I am pretty sure that they are more than willing to nominate a micro-budget hit from a producer who has performed quite well there. The same applies to WGA. Bridesmaids, Deadpool (a terrible nomination), Mean Girls, Straight Outta Compton and a few others have all been nominated there. Jordan Peele will probably win the DGA for first time directing a theatrical movie, and the movie has a nice mix of people who have performed great at SAG in film and television, so a ensemble nomination there is not out of the question. If all of even some of those branches coalesce around the movie, It might be able to secure a Best Picture nomination, especially if grosses $200,000,000. It has enough cultural cache and buzz to carry to end of the year. 

The stuff about Universal being unable to spearhead a campaign for such a movie is simply not the truth. The studio managed to help Straight Outta Compton receive a screenplay nomination with an impromptu campaign after they saw that the Steve Jobs (an extremely conventional Oscar movie from an Oscar winning director and writer) push was not working. They are also the same studio that helped Bridesmaids receive a supporting actress and a screenplay nomination. They appear to be pretty great with unconventional Oscar movies. Universal is the perfect studio to push such a movie at the Oscars. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean Jaws definitely terrified the nation, no argument here. But in their own ways, so did Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, and Jurassic Park. Hell yea, a good monster movie should be scary. That's the point! It actually is a reductive definition, but I really kinda like Grey Ghost's "Would it play on Halloween" thing. That's what I think when I think horror. But different opinions, of course. 

I think that the original Godzilla is definitely a horror movie. All of the creature features were considered horror movies back then. And I think there's a very solid argument that Jurassic Park is also a horror movie, though it is obviously also sci-fi/adventure even more so.