Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

13 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I am willing to say that Get Out is locked for a Best Original Screenplay Oscar nomination this early in the year. You can say that I am crazy or reaching, but I am pretty great with these things. If Bridesmaids (another early release) and Straight Outta Compton both managed nominations there, then Get Out, which has greater critical acclaim and a likely greater box office performance, is surely going to receive one. It is also an extremely well written screenplay in a genre that is not usually associated with that. The real question is whether it will be able to receive a Best Picture nomination, which might be a real possibility given that the movie will probably have industry support. PGA loves nominating surprise mid-budget hits that are received well by critics (Bridesmaids, Deadpool, Straight Outta Compton), so I am pretty sure that they are more than willing to nominate a micro-budget hit from a producer who has performed quite well there. The same applies to WGA. Bridesmaids, Deadpool (a terrible nomination), Mean Girls, Straight Outta Compton and a few others have all been nominated there. Jordan Peele will probably win the DGA for first time directing a theatrical movie, and the movie has a nice mix of people who have performed great at SAG in film and television, so a ensemble nomination there is not out of the question. If all of even some of those branches coalesce around the movie, It might be able to secure a Best Picture nomination, especially if grosses $200,000,000. It has enough cultural cache and buzz to carry to end of the year. 

The stuff about Universal being unable to spearhead a campaign for such a movie is simply not the truth. The studio managed to help Straight Outta Compton receive a screenplay nomination with an impromptu campaign after they saw that the Steve Jobs (an extremely conventional Oscar movie from an Oscar winning director and writer) push was not working. They are also the same studio that helped Bridesmaids receive a supporting actress and a screenplay nomination. They appear to be pretty great with unconventional Oscar movies. Universal is the perfect studio to push such a movie at the Oscars. 

I really hope that universal would ever remember this movie in the end of the year.....

14 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I am willing to say that Get Out is locked for a Best Original Screenplay Oscar nomination this early in the year. You can say that I am crazy or reaching, but I am pretty great with these things. If Bridesmaids (another early release) and Straight Outta Compton both managed nominations there, then Get Out, which has greater critical acclaim and a likely greater box office performance, is surely going to receive one. It is also an extremely well written screenplay in a genre that is not usually associated with that. The real question is whether it will be able to receive a Best Picture nomination, which might be a real possibility given that the movie will probably have industry support. PGA loves nominating surprise mid-budget hits that are received well by critics (Bridesmaids, Deadpool, Straight Outta Compton), so I am pretty sure that they are more than willing to nominate a micro-budget hit from a producer who has performed quite well there. The same applies to WGA. Bridesmaids, Deadpool (a terrible nomination), Mean Girls, Straight Outta Compton and a few others have all been nominated there. Jordan Peele will probably win the DGA for first time directing a theatrical movie, and the movie has a nice mix of people who have performed great at SAG in film and television, so a ensemble nomination there is not out of the question. If all of even some of those branches coalesce around the movie, It might be able to secure a Best Picture nomination, especially if grosses $200,000,000. It has enough cultural cache and buzz to carry to end of the year. 

The nice thing about making ridiculous claims like this is no one will remember these at the end of the year either

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, baumer said:

If it drops softly this weekend, then 150 is locked.

Monday's drop compared to last Monday was just 25%. If it only drops 25% this weekend, it would only need a 3x multiplier to get to $150M which is super easy to get to. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

LMAO am I the only one who hasn't heard of the Get Out challenge before tonight?

I was laughing so hard at some of these (mainly the people who fell lmao)

Super happy this is almost 100$ mil. 

On 3/8/2017 at 7:57 AM, tribefan695 said:

The nice thing about making ridiculous claims like this is no one will remember these at the end of the year either

I will bookmark your post right now just so I remember to boast when the nomination happens. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

22 hours ago, TelemAAchos said:

Solid Daniel Kaluuya interview in GQ:

http://www.gq.com/story/daniel-kaluuya-get-out-interview

There is nothing but equivocation and projection throughout that entire interview. Samuel L. Jackson never stated anything about his blackness. Samuel L. Jackson stated that Americans have different experiences than Brits, and those different experiences might shape their performances. There have been plenty people who have spoken about the number of Brits playing Americans for years now. People are making a big deal out of an innocuous statement. With that stated, the guy is a great actor and actually appears likable throughout his interviews unlike most British actors. 

Australia release date

Get Out MA15+

Strong themes and violence
A young African-American man visits his Caucasian girlfriend's mysterious family estate.
RELEASE DATE:

04/05/2017

RUNNING TIME:

104 mins

DIRECTOR:

Jordan Peele

CAST:

Allison Williams, Lakeith Stanfield, Catherine Keener

@AABATTERY His girlfriend doesn't look Asian.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I will bookmark your post right now just so I remember to boast when the nomination happens. 

Get Out is a great movie.  But it's not the kind of movie that the academy typically nominates.  First of all, it's horror.  Second, it's a January film.  Third, no one has a crippling disease.  It's not a historical drama and third, there will be a litany of smaller movies that come out later in the year that will be fresh in their minds.  As for the DGA, come on dude.  This just is not the kind of film they go for.  

And, please, book mark me as well.

• Like 3