Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

White people were disturbingly giddy after the trailer for this.

I sense a break out.

lol someone I follow on twitter (an acquaintance) saw an early screening for it and said she was surprised at how much white people seemed to love it and it kinda creeped her out.  So maybe it will break out. I still think it will turn to many people off.  but idk. I guess we'll see. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm going to bookmark these two comments and come back after I see it. Might be an instance of 'i'm laughing because I can't tell it's me they're making fun of!'

To be fair it can also be "I can tell they're making fun of me but it's too funny not to laugh at"

26 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm going to bookmark these two comments and come back after I see it. Might be an instance of 'i'm laughing because I can't tell it's me they're making fun of!'

No one freely admits that they've been convinced to rethink their personal values by a movie. It's an inception thing.

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

So white people arent allowed to like this or something?

No of course not my friend just found it funny and didn't expect it. We're talking about how the race elements of the story might turn people off so that's why I shared that story. Tbh based on social media people of all races seem to enjoy it. 

Edited by ban1o

The literal first scene of the trailer is a black guy and white girl kissing. If youre a racist, you hadnt planned on seeing this to begin with.

Hell you probably shut off your computer or phone and threw it into traffic after seeing that.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

So white people arent allowed to like this or something?

Well I wish I knew why they liked the trailer so much.

Is it the novelty and shock value or some twisted wish fulfillment or collective mind fuck against blacks.

Something similar was why Dave Chappelle quit his show. He did a minstrel show character skit and young white guys were laughing the loudest. At that point he wasn't sure if some whites were laughing with black people or at them.

6 minutes ago, jandrew said:

The literal first scene of the trailer is a black guy and white girl kissing. If youre a racist, you hadnt planned on seeing this to begin with.

Hell you probably shut off your computer or phone and threw it into traffic after seeing that.

Dumb racists, maybe.

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well I wish I knew why they liked the trailer so much.

Is it the novelty and shock value or some twisted wish fulfillment or collective mind fuck against blacks.

Something similar was why Dave Chappelle quit his show. He did a minstrel show character skit and young white guys were laughing the loudest. At that point he wasn't sure if some whites were laughing with black people or at them.

It's probably (mostly) the novelty. It's a very unique horror premise that focuses on very relevant social issues. The movie was also quite a bit more crowd pleasing than I would have suspected from the trailer as well. I think white audiences who accept that racism is still very much a problem today will enjoy it.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, franfar said:

A 4x multiplier for a horror film? No way

Split is going to finish at 3.5x coming from a $40m OW, considering that this movie must have a way lower OW, I see no scenario where it is impossible to reach that, especially if this is a masterpiece as people are saying.

Just for information: There were 3 Horror movies last year with a multipler higher than 3.0x, and The Witch almost was the fourth one. The genre is not frontloaded as it used to be.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

It's probably (mostly) the novelty. It's a very unique horror premise that focuses on very relevant social issues. The movie was also quite a bit more crowd pleasing than I would have suspected from the trailer as well.

You guys are probably right.

I was just explaining why some blacks might find white people's enthusiasm a little creepy.

• Like 2

Everything about the trailers screams wild, wickedly hilarious spin on The Stepford Wives. The evil characters seem disgustingly awful and their motives even more nefarious in all footage released. Why wouldn't folks be giddily rooting for the young couple to escape and bring destruction, ruin to that neighborhood?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1