Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

17 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't have much hope for 40m in previews, but I think 35 could happen.

But you know what they say. Great OW's are built on HOPE

Yea, I don't buy in the 40 anymore either.  No one else has come forward to confirm it, so it's all rubbish at this point.

1 hour ago, DAR said:

It's a very good scene.  But I do wish we got to follow another Jedi just a little more closely throughout just so it had a little more impact.

Granted, this is a bit of "day late, dollar short", but The Clone Wars series on Netflix goes deeply into the back stories of most (all?) of those Jedi that we see get killed in that sequence.

Worth watching for that and other good reasons, but like all Star Wars, it has its ups & downs. At its best, though, it's terrific.

• Like 1

Lay off the poor dude. He was clearly talking in absolute sense. Nobody is denying its status of a breakthrough in terms on sfx but compared to todays movies it does not look quite up-to-date anymore (saying it looks better than most movies today is absolutely not true).

• Like 3

Just now, stripe said:

Seriously, those primates in 2001 were godawful, just like the movie itself.

i m not gonna debate with you it's your opinion i respect that:)

But for me 2001 is the movie of all movie:) i refuse to watch it at gome on a shity screen cause i want to see it on the big screen. Like blade runner they deserve that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James said:

Lol. people, I'm not saying ANH isnt hugely important for movie history. But good VFX is Interstellar or Jupiter Ascending.

Let me ask this...

Do you think Jurassic park has bad special effects?

Edit:

And Crapiter Descending? Looool, that's the movie you picked? I might've taken you serious if you had pick the other Wachowski movie The Matrix.

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Absolutely true.

My wife and I re-watched ANH the other night.

There's an establishing shot of the Falcon after it's left the Death Star, where there are three elements moving in the frame: the camera is panning left, the star field is shifting to the right, and the Falcon is doing this slip maneuver where it's simultaneously yawing around to the right and pitching up a little bit at the same time. 

Gives me chills every time. One of my favorite VFX shots of any film, ever.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, James said:

Lol. people, I'm not saying ANH isnt hugely important for movie history. But good VFX is Interstellar or Jupiter Ascending.

You put zero stock in that the effects shattered new ground in all three of the Star Wars OT in the era of their release? No to mention, most of, if not all, the creature design and make up effects still stand as first rate today? Next you're going to tell us the make up work and effect the The Exorcist theatrical cut didn't completely blow the doors off everything else around. Do you believe only films released in the past few years can have outstanding effects?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Lay off the poor dude. He was clearly talking in absolute sense. Nobody is denying its status of a breakthrough in terms on sfx but compared to todays movies it does not look quite up-to-date anymore (saying it looks better than most movies today is absolutely not true).

But you can't compare it to modern movies. The vfx aren't bad, you can't call them bad because 40 years of advancement as occurred, that's a false equivalency.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

It's not about different opinions about the movie. If you saw it and didn't like it, that's totally fine and you're not insecure at all. Of course, you're entitled to your own opinions. However, there are people out there that like a movie when they first see it, but when they hear it broke records/was tremendously successful, they sometimes change their tune and hate on a movie because other people do it. Even worse, some people do this if they haven't even seen the particular film. That's the problem I was adressing. Those people are insecure, not you. I apologize that you guys took my statement the wrong way, I didn't mean to discredit your opinion.

I think you made the same experience here in Germany than me:

there seem to be here a rather loud, but hopefully small group of people, so in need to identify themselves as high-cultural, that the moment a film or... gets to be a hit, they do a 180° as liking/loving that still might imply they are in some details part of the 'average', the GA, the people they 'need' to look down to.

IMHO = sad way lo live.

7 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

True but imo the most important movie of all timein term of VFX and by far is 2001 a space odyssey ^^

TOday it looks still great ..... was made in 1968 for god sake 1968.... maybe kubrick was helped by aliens who knows :D

That, Star Wars, ... were huge and important steps for VFX in cinema films (Star Wars was hindered IMHO also with the old and as such unwanted / cheap to get machine they used for some of the effects), as was way later IMHO Babylon 5 for 'payable' VFX in TV-series. One of its important people involved died some days back, huge loss IMHO.

The funniest tricks / methods I think is probably what they did Raumpatrouille Orion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

You put zero stock in that the effect shattered new ground in all three of the Star Wars OT in the era of their release? No to mention, most of, if not all, the creature design and make up effects still stand as first rate today? Next you're going to tell us the make up work and effect the The Exorcist theatrical cut didn't completely blow the doors off everything else around. Do you believe only films released in the past few years can have outstanding effects?

For me anything that makes me stare at it because it looks out of place means bad vfx. And I didnt say I dont respect those movies. but they are unwatchable to me.

• Like 1