Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

12 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

if this sunday number hold could it means that WOM has started yet ? I mean today with social media the good or bad wom can spread really quickly i am wondering.

What do you think?

Yes

WOM spreads WAAAAAY faster now than it used to. Especially now with Thursday night previews. By Saturday word has spread. 

• Like 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

TDK doesn't really belong in the same sentence as those others. MM89 himself has pointed out admissions numerous times in this debate. I disagree with him on the definition of an event, but TDK absolutely stands out from those others by a long shot. 

It's splitting hairs by this point, but I do draw a disctinction between phenomenon and event.  TFA, TDK, Avatar, and Titanic were all phenomenons.  Large cultutal impact with buzz all throughout society.  But every year were get several movies which are events.  CA:CW, BvS, THG (in other years), FD, and yes, R1.  They capture the excitement of the movie going community and can explode into greater consciousness if cards are right. For the folks who go to the movies a few times a year, these are the "can't-miss" movies.

So I do have a small amount of sympahty for his argument.  But, really, IMO he picked the wrong hill to die on.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

if this sunday number hold could it means that WOM has started yet ? I mean today with social media the good or bad wom can spread really quickly i am wondering.

What do you think?

Yes

WOM spreads WAAAAAY faster now than it used to. Especially now with Thursday night previews. By Saturday word has spread. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That event does not belong with those other peasants. 

And arguing movies are events based on their unadjusted grosses is hilariously misinformed. If you want to argue movies like Civil War and Age of Ultron were "events", you have to also argue that about films like Crocodile Dundee, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Young Frankenstein, Gremlins, Narnia, The Fugitive, The Caine Mutiny, and Meet the Fockers. Lol, no. 

:wtf:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's splitting hairs by this point, but I do draw a disctinction between phenomenon and event.  TFA, TDK, Avatar, and Titanic were all phenomenons.  Large cultutal impact with buzz all throughout society.  But every year were get several movies which are events.  CA:CW, BvS, THG (in other years), FD, and yes, R1.  They capture the excitement of the movie going community and can explode into greater consciousness if cards are right. For the folks who go to the movies a few times a year, these are the "can't-miss" movies.

So I do have a small amount of sympahty for his argument.  But, really, IMO he picked the wrong hill to die on.

Yeah, I agree 100% on the difference between events and phenomenons. We have plenty of events each year. Many of them open really big and have shitty legs. The phenoms tend to be a combination of big opening and great legs. Rogue One has a chance to do that, but we have to see how it goes. At a bare minimum it's a big event based on the fact it seems headed for $500m at least.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

For anyone curious, the films in the top 50-60 ranges are events, except for the ones that made a huge chunk of their admissions in re-releases:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Your fav blockbuster not in that range you say? NOT AN EVENT. 

Lol, now you're just trying to be ridiculous.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

For anyone curious, the films in the top 50-60 ranges are events, except for the ones that made a huge chunk of their admissions in re-releases:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Your fav blockbuster not in that range you say? NOT AN EVENT. 

Looks like RO may become an event by your criteria.

• Like 6

Yeah Rogue one has broke the forum :D not an EVENT guys.....

THere will be no escape for movieman this time.

You understimated my powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D

i seriously begin to beleive Lord prediction for weekdays the following weeks :D

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That event does not belong with those other peasants. 

And arguing movies are events based on their unadjusted grosses is hilariously misinformed. If you want to argue movies like Civil War and Age of Ultron were "events", you have to also argue that about films like Crocodile Dundee, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Young Frankenstein, Gremlins, Narnia, The Fugitive, The Caine Mutiny, and Meet the Fockers. Lol, no. 

And you know as well as I do that comparing the movie viewing environment now to those decades ago is silly.

You have your own idiosyncratic defintion of 'event'.  That's fine.  But the entertainment industry would disagree heavily that there's only one or two movie events in a decade rather than two or three events a year.

• Like 5

Just now, DAJK said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/incredibl3/which-2017-blockbuster-movie-are-you-most-excited-2pi4l?utm_term=.qy1KbEqbb#.prYLGrwGG

Obviously doesn't paint a clear picture totally, but it's kinda interesting to see this list (ie what's #1 on the list)

Beauty and the Beast is my most anticipated movie of 2017 too so cheers.

• Like 2