Plain Old Tele

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol @ 250 being "dead" for Moana when it just had an insane hold this weekend next to every other holdover, even Arrival dropped 50% and it seemed infallible to such a drop. 

Assuming that R1 estimate holds, I'm about 75% certain it finishes over 450. But 90% certain it finishes below 500. 

Lol.  The final numbers aren't in yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if Moana finishes with $11.2m giving it over a 40% drop.  

Hey, keep plugging away and banging your head against the wall about Rogue One.  You have been hilariously wrong the entire way so no need to stop now.  

How do you like that Sunday hold?  

• Like 9

Just now, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Except he said before Rogue One opened that the minimum for an event nowadays was 500m, whichever Rogue One is nearly locked to fly pass.

I understand the goalposts keep changing. But you're never gonna change his mind, his hate for the movie is too strong.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Then they have no clue what a box office event is. If it happens over and over every year it isn't an event. This is pretty hilarious some of you don't understand the different between a huge success and an event. 

'Event' is all so much marketing buzzspeak though.  Turn on the channel and hear how much you hear the word "event" when folks are pitching things.  How many times do you hear, "It's the movie event of the Summer"?  "It's the movie event of the year!".  "It's the event capturing the attention of the nation".

I'd even go as far as saying the word 'event' IS meaningless to a large degree.  But if we absolutely must define terms, saying a difference between 'event' and 'phenomenon' is absolutely the way to go,

And, really, insuinating that the entertainment industry is clueless just because they don't agree with you is... Well... Yeah, no.

PS:  This very site regularly hypes its sales to tie into what they see as 'events'.  I don't know about you, but I LIKE it when they think there is more than one event a year. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Just now, Jayhawk said:

I understand the goalposts keep changing. But you're never gonna change his mind, his hate for the movie is too strong.

I figured he should just be reminded that his hatred is blinding him to reality.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

So how long is #NOTANEVENT going to last? At least up until Guardians of the Galaxy 2, right?

giphy.gif

Spoiler

At least as long as CRUMBLING, I think.  It's a real winner he's happened upon. :D

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

This debate mostly comes from expectations and relativity. Rogue One is likely not going to be as huge as TFA so its status as an "event" is called into question. But if a Marvel or Disney animated movie made as much as it's going to it would unquestionably be considered an "event", at least colloquially

• Like 3

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Whether you call it an event or phenomenon, I still consider anything over $475 million as "really f'n huge"

But how can we use a number benchmark when there's constant inflation? Does anyone really think it was possible to have 9 300m+ grossers at the end of last decade? No, it really wasn't because of inflation. So 300 is not the achievement it once was. In 2017 400 is not an event. 500 isn't either unless there is no premium inflation in there, in which case it's at the very bottom rung of an event and still debatable. 550 should be the true modern event benchmark, though that number could easily go up before we know it.