Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

19 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Why is it so hard to say that TFA performed astonishingly well domestically and deserves its #1 domestic ranking, and also say that AVATAR performed astonishingly well overseas and also completely deserves its OS and WW #1 ranking?

It takes nothing away from either movie to say this.

Complete agree, would add that Avatar performed astonishingly well domestically as well! It held all time domestic crown for 6 years!;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You've made the point yourself but I'm going to repeat it, those are all franchise movies.

Right, and again, I'm not denying how influential Avatar is and how popular it was both in and out of the United States. I'm just pointing out how despite its massive popularity it's left an admittedly small cultural footprint.

That could of course change once (if?) its sequels come out.

1 hour ago, Admiral Ackbar said:

Well then, I read those last 25 pages for absolutely nothing

This is why we have 300 pages for a big film's weekend gross. You can only talk about the numbers for so long. There's battles, coups and all out war with some memes and gifs mixed in for good measure. Usually Nolan, Avatar, DC and/or Marvel create a fan war at least once or @Christmas Baumer creates one on his own lol. This is your first one, but there will be many more ahead and yes this is normal. Trust me and enjoy the ride.

10 minutes ago, DAR said:

What's  impressive about GWTW is it made its bones when ticket prices were drastically lower

Ticket prices for GWTW were drastically higher. 

It was an Event. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

Right, and again, I'm not denying how influential Avatar is and how popular it was both in and out of the United States. I'm just pointing out how despite its massive popularity it's left an admittedly small cultural footprint.

That could of course change once (if?) its sequels come out.

My point is that stand alone films aren't really meant to have a large footprint (still need specifics for what this even means). I look forward to 2018!

Also did you guys know there is a mountain named after Avatar in China?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhangjiajie_National_Forest_Park

One of the park's quartz-sandstone pillars, the 1,080-metre (3,540 ft) Southern Sky Column, had been officially renamed "Avatar Hallelujah Mountain" (阿凡达-哈利路亚山, pinyin: Āfándá hālìlùyà shān) in honor of the eponymous film in January 2010.

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

What are you talking about?! Avatar was absolutely destroyed by Force Awakens. Please don't cling to some desperate WW gross dependent on foreign exchange rates and politics. Where it counts Avatar got the ass kicking of a lifetime and abdicated its throne in under three weeks. It was a rout for the ages!

I know I'm going to regret starting this, but how does Avatar's WW gross have to do with politics?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

My point is that stand alone films aren't really meant to have a large footprint (still need specifics for what this even means). I look forward to 2018!

Also did you guys know there is a mountain named after Avatar in China?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhangjiajie_National_Forest_Park

One of the park's quartz-sandstone pillars, the 1,080-metre (3,540 ft) Southern Sky Column, had been officially renamed "Avatar Hallelujah Mountain" (阿凡达-哈利路亚山, pinyin: Āfándá hālìlùyà shān) in honor of the eponymous film in January 2010.

Sure they aren't, which is why they missed a potentially huge opportunity by releasing the sequels so late. 

8 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Yes, I'm sure immediately after the fact the world was stunned at Avatar's achievements. That's why it was so leggy. But seven years later, you don't see too much acclaim/merchandising/talk about it as you do with modern hits like Avengers, TFA, Jurassic World...and granted, most of those brands are inherently marketable in and of itself compared to something like Avatar. But the fact that people are genuinely surprised when I tell them it's the biggest movie ever might mean it doesn't have the impact some think it does.

A % of the younger part of my pupils asks regulary for release date news