Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

Just now, kayumanggi said:

So what opening weekend are we looking at?

30m in previews makes it impossible to say. That's a little more than half of TFA's preview, so if that held all weekend it would probably be something like $130m. But if it's less frontloaded then TFA then maybe $150m. Don't ask me why a spin off film would be less fan frontloaded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

Always one of my favorite parts of impressions. Someone doesn't like the movie, says their audience of course didn't like it either. Tries to use this as evidence that WOM won't be good. 

I mean, just reading on this site, people saying they loved it and their audience loved it. I'm seeing it on other boards as well. Just like TFA last year, though probably not as batshit crazy insanely good WOM but still very good, Rogue One will have great legs. The Star Wars revival on the big screen continues unabated. 

Never lied about an audience's reaction being different just to line it up with mine before. Why start now? 

• Like 1

Hahaha ok dude. We had wild applause at the end that lasted for quite a while. Lots of laughter as well, for a dark movie that is.

i loved it!! Wow it was dark but magical. I really enjoyed it. First time I would call a Star Wars movie haunting besides maybe ROTS. To watch that and this back to back is so depressing that the chronology may be tough to pull off with a marathon screening :P

I loved the characters, no idea how anyone could complain about that. Movie was 2 hours 17 minutes or whatever, what did you want a flashback of how Chirrut became blind?! Lol

Copypasting from the R1 thread:

===

:kitschjob:

Thanks to the massive storm in Sacramento, power problems caused the film to stop.

:kitschjob::kitschjob::kitschjob::kitschjob:

TWICE

:kitschjob::kitschjob::kitschjob::kitschjob::kitschjob::kitschjob:

Had about 20 to 30 minutes of stoppage because of that.

====

"Other than that, how was the play, Porthos?"

Later.  Still annoyed about that.  Got stuff to do around the house.

• Like 8

I have to give Edwards credit though, he really made me appreciate Lucas' work on the PT way more than I ever imagined I would. Sure the PT may have terrible script and character development issues, but it never completely lacked a sense of fun and never stopped being Star Wars films altogether. Rogue One is not a Star Wars film. It is every bit of a spiritual successor to Godzilla '14. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5

Here's where I think the great divide between people who love the movie and hate it is:

Spoiler

This movie isn't a character piece like all other Star Wars movies which have come before....and rightly it shouldn't be.  If you look at the movie from the perspective that these characters are a representation of the faceless rebellion journeyman (and woman), it makes a lot more sense and it's definitely more enjoyable.  It's more about the process versus the players.  This is why there wasn't more character development.  You give just enough to show the desperation, but not enough to make people question "Why did they just refer to the 'band of Rebels' who stole the Death Star plans versus giving credit to these now important characters".  These characters were MEANT to be thrown away.  They are literally Star Wars version of the unknown soldier 

• Like 2

MovieMan you went in to watch the movie having already convinced yourself that it was gonna be horrendously bad. You said it yourself with the "5 minutes in" part. Movies tend to cold open and have to engage you progressively, of course if you zone out 5 mins in you're done. The audience could have done anything it wouldn't have mattered to you in the slightest, and now you come rant about it here. I mean, reactions are welcomed but you're just being annoying at this point. 

You've said it's the worst movie you've ever seen 4 times in the last 2 pages, that Gareth Edwards ruined your life... We got it. Arguments could be made for trolling.

Leave room for others now, please.

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All I can tell you is we are total geeks in Colorado in that I have been to way too many films here with roaring applause at the credits. Not even a golf clap tonight. 

I've had a few drinks, so forgive me for typing this, but you are so full of shit and are one gigantic self fulfilling prophecy.  OF COURSE everything you type fits directly into the narrative you have driven for a long time now.  OF COURSE the screening you went to at 8pm was an empty ghost town.  OF COURSE you hated the movie.  OF COURSE a bunch of fanboy nerds that always clap didn't even give it a golf clap.  

OF COURSE.  There was a 0.0% chance that anything remotely positive was going to happen at any screening you attended.  Of course it would be the narrative disaster you have been pointing to over and over.  

• Like 11

Just now, Daxtreme said:

MovieMan you went in to watch the movie having already convinced yourself that it was gonna be horrendously bad. You said it yourself with the "5 minutes in" part. Movies tend to cold open and have to engage you progressively, of course if you zone out 5 mins in you're done. The audience could have done anything it wouldn't have mattered to you in the slightest, and now you come rant about it here. I mean, reactions are welcomed but you're just being annoying at this point. 

You've said it's the worst movie you've ever seen 4 times in the last 2 pages, that Gareth Edwards ruined your life... We got it. Arguments could be made for trolling.

Leave room for others now, please.

Except I never said it was the worst movie ever even once, let alone 4 times. Guess what, this forum isn't an echo chamber. If you don't like someone hating on a film they hate because you want everyone to love it, then maybe you best leave. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I've had a few drinks, so forgive me for typing this, but you are so full of shit and are one gigantic self fulfilling prophecy.  OF COURSE everything you type fits directly into the narrative you have driven for a long time now.  OF COURSE the screening you went to at 8pm was an empty ghost town.  OF COURSE you hated the movie.  OF COURSE a bunch of fanboy nerds that always clap didn't even give it a golf clap.  

OF COURSE.  There was a 0.0% chance that anything remotely positive was going to happen at any screening you attended.  Of course it would be the narrative disaster you have been pointing to over and over.  

I see the depression of this only doing 55% of TFA's OW business at best is starting to sink in with you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

And regardless of what adults think, I can tell you for sure that kids will hate this. There is not one thing about it that's for them. So there goes 50% of what makes SW a phenomenon. 

Oh fuck off with this.  What a crock of shit and saw all sorts of kids at 7pm screenings tonight that were very happy when they came out.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And regardless of what adults think, I can tell you for sure that kids will hate this. There is not one thing about it that's for them. So there goes 50% of what makes SW a phenomenon. 

Despite any notoin that Rogue One is a darker film, 90% of all boys under 12 will recommend it to their friends, while 84% of all girls will pass the good word around about Jyn Erso.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-one-star-wars-story-preview-box-office-social-media-1201871704/

hmmmmm.......

Edited by MJL
Added link
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Oh fuck off with this.  What a crock of shit and saw all sorts of kids at 7pm screenings tonight that were very happy when they came out.  

You are literally blinded by your fanboy if you think this is even kid appealing in the slightest. Or you've never been around kids. 

Your hypocrisy in chastising me for anecdotes and then turning around and adopting the same technique to prop up your side of the coin is also quite telling. 

Edited by MovieMan89