Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

6 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

The fact that it had nothing original and outside of Finn all the characters were just pastiches of previous characters. It had little plot and even in that the plot holes were massive. I won't talk about the Mary Sue arguement but that ending was bullshit. It was way to focused on Nostalgia 

She was Mary Sue as hell though, harder to think of a better example than Rey.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'll concede that I was a child when I watched them, man I liked them though! Wasn't a major complaint that it pandered to kids? It worked on me.

I watched Phantom Menace when I was 5, and I thought it was boring as shit outside out Pod Racing or Lightsaber battles.

12 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Ugh...

More original doesn't mean better. JJ schooled Lucas in terms of filmmaking. Yes, the script could have been better....

Maybe so but no scene is TFA measures up to either order 66, the duel of Obi wan and Anakin and many others even the music doesn't match up. The acting was bad in parts but the story was so much better that I don't care

• Like 1

TFA is a bad movie. Recycled garbage of ANH. I was disappointed with JJ Abrams. Set up a great world, but he had no idea where to take the Star Wars universe except for copying ANH. TFA lacks depth too. There's no sense of danger or threat. Kylo Ren was menacing till he took off the helmet. Than I found him to be a bore. TFA is easily the most overhyped film of 2015.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

ROTS had bigger stakes than TFA. But acting in the prequels were awful and it does not hold as well. But Sith left better impact than TFA did last year.

JJ captured the fun aspect better than lucas did and both Rey and Finn were terrific characters. But I wish it had something original in plot.

Bigger stakes means squat if one doesn't care about the characters. Dunno why one would come to the conclusion that Sith left a better impact...

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

She was Mary Sue as hell though, harder to think of a better example than Rey.

No I completely agree now she is a master fighter now she's a great pilot now she's a great mechanic, now she's mastered the force on her own, now she can use a lightsaber, and so on and so on. Whenever the plot is stuck just give Rey a new ability. But some people take offence at the term and I don't want to have that conversation 

• Like 2

Anyone who complains about Rey being good at everything obviously has no patience and doesn't understand that the rest of the story will be explained in the next episode. Seriously guys we've been through this probably a hundred thousand times.

• Like 18

Just now, Elessar said:

Bigger stakes means squat if one doesn't care about the characters. Dunno why one would come to the conclusion that Sith left a better impact...

It's still quoted, it's a meme treasure order 66 is now a common term in the lexicon. It was better film the charecters were better.  Obi wan and the emperor were both better acted and more interesting than any character in TFA. Some awkward line reading from Christensen doesn't discount everyone else

21 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Because we realized JW, fast 7 and sw7 were not as good as the box office and the reception show.

They simply rode on a wave of nostalgia.

I expect future sequels of those films to fall 30% 

This is where I disagree with you massively once again. When a film opens to a record, and not just a little bit but by a massive amount, a record opening weekend and then has a 3.6 multiplier. That is definitely not just Nostalgia that is people actually enjoying the hell out of the film.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Anyone who complains about Rey being good at everything obviously has no patience and doesn't understand that the rest of the story will be explained in the next episode. Seriously guys we've been through this probably a hundred thousand times.

We only have what we have seen and right now it is BS. I'll reassess after episode 8 if I have to

Edited by boomboom234
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I'll admit that Sith is flawed as hell. But, I do adore how, more so than any of the other Star Wars flicks, it feels like youngin's imagination exploding onto the screen. It only really registers a few pivotal character beats though. But, yeah, it's so gorgeous to behold. Arguably the most lavish intergalactic fairy tale to put screen.

I definitely felt the characters more in Awakens but, man, did it looks dull as hell to me. And, man, did the spacecrafts, weapons, etc. lack any imagination whatsoever. I thought the world building, especially given the budget, flat sucked. Aside from the  opening with Rey, I didn't really feel much scope either.

And, Baumer, while I agree, because of that it doesn't standalone at all. Or, at least, not nearly as much as the Star Wars films I prefer.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Damn.

All I remember from TFA as far as reception was everyone loving it, everyone singing its praises, and everyone being deliriously happy about its success.

I totally expect that, once Marvel Studios starts rebooting their current universe (we know it will happen eventually), people will turn their backs on all of those movies that everyone raves about now.

Reception of TFA is still glowing. Just the usual extremely small amount of people on the internet going around telling anyone who stops laughing at them long enough to listen, that it "wasn't actually good". Incorrect just like with every other mega blockbuster loved by critics and fans worldwide.

• Like 2