John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

Well I saw La La Land on screener. I really liked it! Visually splendid to say the least. Exceptionally well shot. Some very catchy music, but not too many musical numbers of breaking into singing and dancing which was fine by me. What was there worked and was often quite funny. The ending was nifty, without spoiling anything, I personally liked how it was done. 

I didnt expect to see this movie at all and didn't think I would like it but I now think it'll top my list among awards contenders. Well done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I had a bigger Tuesday bump (about 8%) and a harsher Wednesday drop (about 24%). I was well off target.  

Didn't you adjust the Wednesday drop to 20% after the first hints of Tuesday's came in? Not sure if I understood it then right, might have been about another film and I didn't understand or so.

Denis Villeneuve in talks for 'Dune' reboot

'Deadpool', 'Suicide Squad' on Oscars makeup & hairstyling shortlist

Deadpool, The Dressmaker, Florence Foster Jenkins, Hail, Caesar!, A Man Called Ove, Star Trek Beyond, and Suicide Squad.

36 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Well I saw La La Land on screener. I really liked it! Visually splendid to say the least. Exceptionally well shot. Some very catchy music, but not too many musical numbers of breaking into singing and dancing which was fine by me. What was there worked and was often quite funny. The ending was nifty, without spoiling anything, I personally liked how it was done. 

I didnt expect to see this movie at all and didn't think I would like it but I now think it'll top my list among awards contenders. Well done!

clint-eastwood-nodding.gif

4 hours ago, Gopher said:

Totally on topic: Just saw Fantastic Beasts. Did the board like it? I thought it was abysmal. 

I think less of it the more I think about it, and I didn't eve like the movie to begin with.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I like J-Law but recently she has come off a bit oddly egotistical. I don't remember it being this way at all a few years back but maybe she just took the meta humor a bit too much?

JLaw started to sound like Lena Dunham and Amy Shumer and that shit does not fly. I'm all for equal pay but when overpaid star talks about her deserving a 5 million raise from 15M to 20M when most people never had 5M on their account in their lifetime, that is entitled, not relatable or socially conscious or whatever. Regular women don't feel that she is fighting for their rights but only for herself. And since movie business salary is driven by boxoffice, you can have 20M if you open movies like Leo and Sandra Bullock. Yet both of her big raise movies underperformed (Joy and now Passengers) so she defintiely didn't prove her case. On top of that, she jumped on "I deserve a raise" wagon only because Sony leak revealed Renner was paid more for American Hustle and that created social media backlash and her team seized the opportunity. But it isn't like she didn't know about that before the leak. So not as brave as trail-blazer as made out to be by her propaganda machine ("The most important star", lol, what does that even mean? How are celebrities important?). You can trace her boxoffice decline (that includes THG movies and X Men) since she became entitled Dunham 2.0.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

JLaw started to sound like Lena Dunham and Amy Shumer and that shit does not fly. I'm all for equal pay but when overpaid star talks about her deserving a 5 million raise from 15M to 20M when most people never had 5M on their account in their lifetime, that is entitled, not relatable or socially conscious or whatever. Regular women don't feel that she is fighting for their rights but only for herself. And since movie business salary is driven by boxoffice, you can have 20M if you open movies like Leo and Sandra Bullock. Yet both of her big raise movies underperformed (Joy and now Passengers) so she defintiely didn't prove her case. On top of that, she jumped on "I deserve a raise" wagon only because Sony leak revealed Renner was paid more for American Hustle and that created social media backlash and her team seized the opportunity. But it isn't like she didn't know about that before the leak. So not as brave as trail-blazer as made out to be by her propaganda machine ("The most important star", lol, what does that even mean? How are celebrities important?). You can trace her boxoffice decline (that includes THG movies and X Men) since she became entitled Dunham 2.0.

I think this is a terrific post.  I like J-Law as an actress but this stuff does bug me as well.  It works in baseball because as long as you are winning, no one cares how much you make but it's different in movies.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I think this is a terrific post.  I like J-Law as an actress but this stuff does bug me as well.  It works in baseball because as long as you are winning, no one cares how much you make but it's different in movies.  

Thank you. Agreed.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Me neither. I just don't care for his wispy acting style.

That's a good way to put it. He always seems so mumbly to me. I kinda get where the praise is coming from but... eh. Couldn't bring myself to watch Fantastic Beasts.

He seems like a nice enough guy though so he's got that going for him.

I agree fantastic post RE: JLaw. I would like it more than once if I could lol. You're worth whatever someone will pay you frankly but they'll pay you only what you're worth to a movie's box office gross. If you can't deliver audiences and give value to the studio why pay you so much? She's a good actress there's no doubt about that. She's pretty, too, but she's not hot. Maybe that makes her more appealing to female audiences, I'm not sure, seemed to work for Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock. I feel like the hottest actresses are often not very good at acting though anyway (ahem Jessica Alba and Nina Dobrev come to mind). For you to be worth $20M a movie though you need to add at least $50M to the box office if not more because the studio after all doesn't get to keep every dime the movie grosses.

Clearly big name actors and actresses are worth money but I think it's always tough to figure out even for the studios what their true value is, especially because every star still has their duds. I personally loved Oblivion but Tom Cruise didn't seem to save that one. Same with Tom Hanks and Inferno. An actor seems to be worth the most money once they're known as a certain character and audiences want to see them play that character. How ironic then that when that happens, some people like Daniel Craig want out! Lol

Edited by JonathanLB

55 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

41 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I agree with all of this. You can even see it on social media. Before it was just Dunham and Schumer. Recently they've thrown JLaw into that group. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, of course the actress gets all of the backlash. Typical.

What about Chris Pratt? 2016 was supposed to be the year he solidified himself as a big star and that didn't quite pan out.

She was paid the most.

Edited by Alli

42 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It would be helpful if you are going to critique an essy to actually bother reading it. You clearly never read it. It was an essay about different standards as applied to how men and women are expected to act in business, not about deserving more money. The whole point was that she did not fight for her market value because she did not think it would be socially acceptable. 

But this does show why I think she needs to avoid anything political at all. Because detractors don't care what you actually say, they will find a reason to resent you anyway. Actors are much more vulnerable than other entertainers because they depend on broad audience appeal. 

All the revisionism and goalpost moving when it comes to Lawrence and box office gets tedious. She powers the Hunger Games to heights beyond anyone's expectations where the entire show depends on her performance as Katniss, and now anyone could have done it, anyone could have made consecutive $400 million (US) grossing films (would have been three if Mockingjay wasn't split), anyone could have made the critics, who hate YA films generally, take notice and treat the films with respect. Right. And SLP, which had one of the coolest box office runs in recent years and was absolutely driven by the critical reception if her performance and WOM, had nothing to do with her. And American Hustle had nothing to do with her (she basically saved that movie). And DOFP becoming one of the greatest comic book films of all time had nothing to do with her. Etc. 

For a box office site the understanding of box office here is sometimes surreal. Point out another star that would have had more success in a film like Joy which did not get the reviews that are the lifeblood of an awards seeason film. It seems reasonable that if you talk about drawing power you make those comparisons. Jlaw literally carried that movie. Otherwise you get Our Brand is In Crisis. Joy was undone by its price tag, but still made money. 

Passengers is a misfire, but not because of her or Pratt. It needed a better script, director, marketing, release date. It happens. But haters hate. 

• Like 3