John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

14 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Maybe 100% is too high but I don't think it will increase as little as 55%.  

That's how much Tin Tin increased a few years ago. I was originally going to use that for my Sunday number but didn't want to get blasted :ph34r: 

• Like 1

I feel like a lot of families are waiting until after Christmas Day passes to see Sing (the matinees will be mostly quiet that day due to kids opening presents, etc.), therefore I'm fully expecting Monday to explode to $20M+ and remain steady throughout the following week.

• Like 5

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

A trailer of Collateral Beausty just aired on TV here and had a review calling it  "The most touching movie of the year" lmao :P It is amazing how this movie that has a 10% on RT can be presented to audiences as praised by critics!

Because there's nothing more touching than trying to gaslight your friends, duh.

@CJohn, tickets just went on sale here for AC, opening Jan 6 and holy fuck. It is going to be so insanely massive (I'm starting to think it has a shot at beating RO). Do presales in Portugal look the same as here (I know it opens on the same date)? 

Also, Passengers, which had previews here starting from yesterday has some very good WOM. I don't know if the US will respond to it the same way though. 

Edited by James

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

A trailer of Collateral Beausty just aired on TV here and had a review calling it  "The most touching movie of the year" lmao :P It is amazing how this movie that has a 10% on RT can be presented to audiences as praised by critics!

It's gone up a lot on RT and it is a touching movie.  Don't listen to filmlover....see it for yourself.  He's obviously looking at it from the cynical way possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

It's gone up a lot on RT and it is a touching movie.  Don't listen to filmlover....see it for yourself.  He's obviously looking at it from the cynical way possible.

lol I'm a sucker for sentimental movies but this was just dire.

• Like 1

It's at 14% on MT though. I don't doubt that I may like it but my main point is how marketing can even present shit as gold... Not regarding the quality of the movie but the way it was perceived from critics.

I saw a chart recently where it said that when Christmas falls on Thursday, it's jump from Wednesday Christmas eve is the largest compared to any other day when Christmas falls (coincidentally when it's on a Sunday, you get the lowest jump, but then get a bigger boost from a Monday Boxing Day). Can't seem to find it though. That would cast the NATM3 comp in some doubt

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I truly feel there's an audience disconnect with critics lately:

- Collateral Beauty: 17% critics / 67% audiences' score

- Passengers: 30% / 68% 

- Assassin's Creed: 18% / 74% 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

JLaw started to sound like Lena Dunham and Amy Shumer and that shit does not fly. I'm all for equal pay but when overpaid star talks about her deserving a 5 million raise from 15M to 20M when most people never had 5M on their account in their lifetime, that is entitled, not relatable or socially conscious or whatever. Regular women don't feel that she is fighting for their rights but only for herself. And since movie business salary is driven by boxoffice, you can have 20M if you open movies like Leo and Sandra Bullock. Yet both of her big raise movies underperformed (Joy and now Passengers) so she defintiely didn't prove her case. On top of that, she jumped on "I deserve a raise" wagon only because Sony leak revealed Renner was paid more for American Hustle and that created social media backlash and her team seized the opportunity. But it isn't like she didn't know about that before the leak. So not as brave as trail-blazer as made out to be by her propaganda machine ("The most important star", lol, what does that even mean? How are celebrities important?). You can trace her boxoffice decline (that includes THG movies and X Men) since she became entitled Dunham 2.0.

And I bet you she will NEVER again pretend to trip on the red carpet or interrupt interviews to announce she wants to devour 4 whole pizzas. She knows people see through her bullshit now. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol I'm a sucker for sentimental movies but this was just dire.

I know LOL. And the problems that you have with the movie are a lot of it's been mentioned by a lot of people as well. I understood the motivations for what was happening and they were a little bit unscrupulous but at the same time they were necessary. I don't want to say much more because now we are getting into spoiler territory. But when you work as long and as hard as you do it something and you have the possibility of it all disappearing because of something out of your control then you kind of have to take drastic measures to make sure that it survives.

I don't have the courage to read all pages, but if the question is whether JLaw is a draw, the short answer is yes, but 1) not as much outside of a franchise and 2) not so much anymore, as she is out of franchises, Hunger Games and X- Men being over for her. Also, I am sensing that people are trying to Hathawize her, in the sense that, from America's next Sweetheart, she is becoming hated (?) in the US, from people like JonathanLB probably, apparenty because she is free and cool and she doesn't give a f*ck.

The real question, and it is a real testament to double standards, is whether Chris Pratt is a draw, outside of his Marvel and Jurassic Park franchises. The short answer is abso-effing- lutely NO, the Magnificent Seven and Passengers underperfoming as they did and will being recent examples.

Star power is almost dead, with little to none exceptions. It's star+ concept these days. Joy was the biopic of a mop inventor, for crying out loud, and it still grossed 100 million WW. Without Lawrence, it would have grossed nada in the US.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 1

I know LOL. And the problems that you have with the movie are a lot of it's been mentioned by a lot of people as well. I understood the motivations for what was happening and they were a little bit unscrupulous but at the same time they were necessary. I don't want to say much more because now we are getting into spoiler territory. But when you work as long and as hard as you do it something and you have the possibility of it all disappearing because of something out of your control then you kind of have to take drastic measures to make sure that it survives.

lol no. Even the characters in the movie eventually realize that what they did was a dumb idea in the first place.