John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

I think the problem with video game movies is that 

1.Story is typically secondary, and when it's not, it's typically an interactive kind of story.

2.A lot of the charm in the story of games like Elder Scrolls, Legend of Zelda and Warcraft is the expansive universe, and discovering it for yourself.  The lore is really fun, but you can't really cram what makes some of those games great into a two hour movie.

3.Most studios try to do a direct adaption of a 40 hour+ video game and fit it into a two hour movie.  If they really want to make a good video game movie then they need to do an original story in the universe.

4.95% of video games (even if they're great games) just aren't going to translate well into a movie, even with the best talent involved.  The material just doesn't adapt well.

It's probably possible to make a solid video game movie, I just don't think anybody in Hollywood has really figured out how, nor do I think it's really worth the investment to figure that out.  At best, I think some video games (might) be able to translate into a solid TV Show, but even then I'd probably recommend letting games stay games.

• Like 6

Box Office: Tops $200M U.S., Passing $400M Global via by

In terms of overseas figures, it earned another $16.2 million to bring its foreign total to $182.9m and its worldwide cume to $388.1m  = will pass it today

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/12/22/star-wars-box-office-rogue-one-topped-200m-u-s-on-wednesday-will-top-400m-worldwide-today/#6a52874a7c01

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Just now, La Binoche said:

The most offensive thing about RIPassengers was being told "they're sexy, who cares about reviews, just grab your popcorn and revel in their hotness!" 

Like we should be grateful that these two "hot movie stars" (they're kinda average looking actually) came together to do a movie and the rest doesn't matter. 

That's not why people go to the movies. 

Some people definitely go for that reason, though. 

• Like 4

So Tintin opened to something like 2.3M for the Wednesday in 2011, but ended up with 22 or 23M for the six day weekend. Passengers and Assassins won't have that good of legs, but unless WOM is toxic (I doubt) both have at least a shot at 30M still for the six day.

Just now, DAJK said:

So Tintin opened to something like 2.3M for the Wednesday in 2011, but ended up with 22 or 23M for the six day weekend. Passengers and Assassins won't have that good of legs, but unless WOM is toxic (I doubt) both have at least a shot at 30M still for the six day.

Tintin had a $3.3M preview from French Canada so true 6-day was more like $19.8M. Still good legs, tho.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Cause people to whom the phrase applies are annoying and need to be retired. 

They're not, they just believe in something, in a better world for everyone. I'm not one of them (I'm a white male who doesn't suffer from discrimination and don't make this cause a personal fight) but I have empathy, a basic human quality in a civilized world. You're probably an empty vessel who would cry after being discriminated for the first time :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Cause people to whom the phrase applies are annoying and need to be retired. 

SJWs only hold power on liberal college campuses.

The alt right, on the other hand, are gaining actual global power day by day.

If anything needs to be scaled back, it's the latter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

They're not, they just believe in something, in a better world for everyone. I'm not one of them (I'm a white male who doesn't suffer from discrimination and don't make this cause a personal fight) but I have empathy, a basic human quality in a civilized world. You're probably an empty vessel who would cry after being discriminated for the first time :P

4 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I think the problem with video game movies is that 

1.Story is typically secondary, and when it's not, it's typically an interactive kind of story.

2.A lot of the charm in the story of games like Elder Scrolls, Legend of Zelda and Warcraft is the expansive universe, and discovering it for yourself.  The lore is really fun, but you can't really cram what makes some of those games great into a two hour movie.

3.Most studios try to do a direct adaption of a 40 hour+ video game and fit it into a two hour movie.  If they really want to make a good video game movie then they need to do an original story in the universe.

4.95% of video games (even if they're great games) just aren't going to translate well into a movie, even with the best talent involved.  The material just doesn't adapt well.

It's probably possible to make a solid video game movie, I just don't think anybody in Hollywood has really figured out how, nor do I think it's really worth the investment to figure that out.  At best, I think some video games (might) be able to translate into a solid TV Show, but even then I'd probably recommend letting games stay games.

I'm a HUGE fan of The Legend of Zelda.

And I don't want a Zelda movie, and unlikely to watch it if they do it, I know that wouldn't please me, Zelda is from essence a video game, that's what its DNA is about, some things should never be seen on a theater screen, Zelda is one of them. That probably applies to many games.

The drop isn't so bad for Moana.  I was expecting something greater than 30% to be honest considering how well Sing was and still is being promoted.  I'm fully expecting it to rebound today and pass $210-220 by the end of the year and add another $30-50 million for a total of $240-270 million.  Sing will probably rake in around $250-300 million.  The biggest fight for the last spot in the Top 10 begins and whether or not history will be made by having all of the films in the Top 10 earn more than $300 million.  Would be a beautiful chart if that happens. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I disagree. They are bullies. You can't say you don't think a PoC actor is all that without being called a racist. My young twin sisters have been called racist by SJW because they don't ship a widely unpopular Finnrey (Rey and Finn from TFA) since it's a friendzone that isn't going anywhere (that's even according to the actor himself). Etc. The list is way too long to sympathize with those people, sorry.

@grey ghost

SJWs only hold power on liberal college campuses.

The alt right, on the other hand, are gaining actual global power day by day.

If anything needs to be scaled back, it's the latter.

SJW make people wanna jump on alt right wagon in spite. 

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Which is why Disney should by Nintendo and make the best video game movies.

It would only cost them 40 billion. :apocalypse:

Apart from Fire Emblem and Xenoblade it's hard to imagine Nintendo games being credible movies, having Nintendo making videogames from Disney franchises on the other hand...OH YES! :D

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Unfortunate. He did a pretty good job with the first 2 acts. If the script had been better for the third act, I would have said the film was a solid 8/10

If the issues are mostly in the third act, I have to wonder if it wasn't subjected to script rewrites and last minute changes. Someone said they wondered which ending the final movie has compared to what they saw at a test screening. 

I haven't seen it yet, but it would really suck if there was a potentially good movie there that was tossed aside for an action filled ending or whatever it ended up being.

oh well. It this costs Tom Rothman his position at Sony, at least something good would come out of it.

• Like 2