FlashMaster659

Thursday #s - (Asgard2) R1 16.8m, Sing 15.3m

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I so love Rey - it's like christmas when I see that she had the last post - opening the thread to see what glorious thing has been given to us mere mortals.... :D

(blatant trolling for likes lol!)

Cue --

tumblr_oc50dpbOJN1s9oqbjo1_400.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Parr said:

1) Has nothing to do with the quote, nor does it contradict anything that I said

2) WTF are you even talking about?

That bit was about far-right groups clamouring for a boykott of Star Wars because of non-white actors.

There is literally no way how you could understand what I wrote in any different way. If you couldn't be bothered to inform yourself about these things, that isn't my problem.

3) How do you know that it did?

It's not on me to prove that having these actors hurt or helped the movies everywhere, you where the one who made claims that Star Wars should focus on actors who come from countries where the movies make the most money. The movie is performing exceptionally well, it is Star Wars, the reason why 99% of the people watch it is because it is Star Wars, not because the 7th most important actor happened to be an American. Even stars don't make the difference between a hit and a flop, yet you think that having a slightly different support cast would somehow make a huge difference, how is that supposed to make any sense?

4) Completely useless examples. Last Samurai played in Japan, of course it had mostly Japanese actors, hence it doesn't work as a comparable at all. The movies Christoph Waltz had success with were one James Bond and a few Tarantinos, all of which are already successful anyway, regardless of him. His James Bond movie actually dropped from the ones before. Besides, that is yet another useless comparison, because Waltz is featured in one core role, which is the opposite from that point you tried to make about Rogue One. You are also completey twisting this one on the head. International markets may improve a bit if one of their stars happened to be in a role, but Hollywood movies don't get perceived any differently in the US if the support roles behind the main ones are filled with American or British actors. The idea simply doesn't work. The whole reason why international markets might be a bit more interested in a movie which includes one of its stars is because it is completely uncommon. Having supporting actors from the USA is very much the opposite of being uncommon. No on is going to say "I really want to see this particular Hollywood movie because it features american actors in a support role", because that is true for virtually EVERY movie.

5) They don't need to do that at all. They need to focus on making the best possible movie, because the best possible movie will reach the biggest possible audience. The success of Star Wars will never depend on whether some support actors are American, British, German or Chinese, it is simply irrelevant for the movie as a whole. What has a far bigger impact is the quality of the movie. If everyone raves about it, more people will come and see it. That's what matters.

I will not go over the same points again, it's quite pointless. Anyone willing to take off their ideological glasses can see what I am trying to say.

But I will have to respond to your misunderstanding of what I meant when I brought the examples that I did (of country-specific films, in one way or another) My only point, which should have been self-evident, is that when a film refers to one particular country/nation/ethnicity/religion in any way, be it via actors, locations, language, historical events, mythology etc etc then that film is bound to over-perform in the country under consideration. I wasn't merely referring to the cast's make-up. The Last Samurai was a film dealing with Japanese history and culture, with several Japanese actors to boot, hence it *massively* over-performed in that country. The Waltz movies I was referring to, were the two Tarantino ones (Basterds & Django) and both massively over-performed in Germany/Austria. Both dealt with German culture/history, one negatively (Nazis) the other positively (German literature) and had a fine German actor in a crucial role. Again, my assertion holds. Troy/300 both dealt with ancient Greek history (in a triumphant light) and the result was predictable, they did tremendously well in Greece. The BFG flopped around the globe but was a major hit in the UK where the original story was born. Same applies with the Lord of the Rings and Nordic countries etc etc etc... 

My point is that movies don't exist in a sphere of abstraction, but in the real world and don't fail/succeed just in terms of being good/bad, but on how people can relate to them etc... Now, if you are willing to argue that the entire cast of Rogue One was chosen 100% based on the director's vision and on some abstract acting criteria of the chosen actors, then I have some Greek government bonds to sell you :D  

All I said, is that this strategy should be rationally evaluated on all its merits/demerits. I can't see how this can be controversial. 

• Like 2

While "pandering" to China wasn't the main reason why Donnie Yen was cast, I'm pretty sure Disney still hoped that his presence would boost RO's box office in China. However, regardless if that happens or not, it was the right move to do, Yen was awesome, diversity is obviously very important, but in this case it didn't seem like they had chosen an Asian actor just to add more diversity, but because Yen was a great fit for the role and his inclusion felt perfectly natural.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Wrath said:

There's also the issue that the Yuan is down ~8% against the $US since the fall, turning, say $75M into $69M.

Very true. But I think that the article I read today on the WSJ was referring to the Chinese BO in terms of yuan, not dollars. In dollar terms, it must have gone down this year. I will have to re-check. Thanx for pointing this out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

@Sam

I see you, I never heard your R1 thoughts :sadben:

I've been enjoying my winter break to the fullest after the hellish semester I just had. But lurking here and there to keep up with our fam.

I have watched it twice (this holiday season really sucks in terms of movie offerings so I might go see it a third time) I did posted a review in Rogue One spoilers thread. Guess it got lost in the shuffle.

In short, Donnie Yen was MVP (and seeing the widespread love he got for his performance from our members here is real nice). Whitaker was hilarious, The Wig delivered. Lowkey loving Bodhi the most out of the gang (after Chirrut)

Actions really neat but I felt somewhat disconnected due to characters and relationships' underdevelopments. 

Overall, B/B+ probably. 

And on the subject of Donnie Yen, I only just found out he's in Return of Xander Cage. So, what do we do? Are we stanning for that one? :kitschjob:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Growth was up 4% in local currency, down 1.5% in dollars. they hit their saturation point.  BO is limited by GDP as shown below. SK is on top as it has a much higher GDP/ppp than its GDP/nom and has a high urban population.  The lower the urban rate the smaller the BO/GDP ratio. China is at the upper end of established markets with high urbanization. So its likely to drop as reflected in the March to date loss of 10% YoY now that the novelty is wearing off(moviegoing new to many people in the last 5 years, same happened in US after 1930s).  Passing domestic will be no sooner than 2030 IMO. I made this call 18 months ago while the BO was up 50% YoY in June 2015 and everyone was saying it would pass domestic by 2017-18.  2017 will drop to 6.5b.  Its acting very much like a stock market or real estate bubble. Same curve.

GDP (000) GDP Growth BO (000) BO Growth BO/GDP Urban %
South Korea 1,400,000   1,600   0.114% 82
Australia 1,450,000   1,000   0.069% 89
Mexico 1,280,000   870   0.068% 79
China 2016 10,700,000 +4.5% 6,700 -+1% 0.063% 57
France 2,850,000   1,800   0.063% 79
China 2015 10,800,000 +5.0% 6,800 +42% 0.063% 56
Russia 1,326,000   796   0.060% 74
UK 3,050,000   1,700   0.056% 82
Dom 2016 20,000,000   11,000   0.055% 81
Spain 1,400,000   700   0.050% 77
China 2014 10,400,000 +5.8% 4,800 +41% 0.046% 55
Japan 4,600,000   2,000   0.043% 92
Italy 2,150,000   800   0.037% 67
China 2013 9,500,000 +12.0% 3,400 +32% 0.036% 54
Brazil 2,350,000   800   0.034% 80
Germany 3,850,000   1,300   0.034% 69
China 2012 8,500,000 +12.0% 2,600 +34% 0.031% 53
China 2011 7,500,000 +15.0% 1,900 +33% 0.025% 52

Average 5,728,111   2,809   0.053% 71

Fantastic work!

i´in this blog for things like this, pure data power!!!

thanks!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam said:

I've been enjoying my winter break to the fullest after the hellish semester I just had. But lurking here and there to keep up with our fam.

I have watched it twice (this holiday season really sucks in terms of movie offerings so I might go see it a third time) I did posted a review in Rogue One spoilers thread. Guess it got lost in the shuffle.

In short, Donnie Yen was MVP (and seeing the widespread love he got for his performance from our members here is real nice). Whitaker was hilarious, The Wig delivered. Lowkey loving Bodhi the most out of the gang (after Chirrut)

Actions really neat but I felt somewhat disconnected due to characters and relationships' underdevelopments. 

Overall, B/B+ probably. 

And on the subject of Donnie Yen, I only just found out he's in Return of Xander Cage. So, what do we do? Are we stanning for that one? :kitschjob:

I am very close to going A-. As more time passes by, I love it more and more. Whitaker was life, Chirrut was love, and Rook! Bodhi! out there actin' like a field marshal with all his strategizing.

As for Xander Cage....:depp:

• Like 3

Rogue One Walt Disney $16,722,532 -7% 4,157  $4,023   $375,378,705
Moana Walt Disney $4,160,213 -7% 2,784  $1,494   $199,059,039
Doctor Strange Walt Disney $239,954 -1% 631  $380   $229,461,310
The Queen of Katwe Walt Disney $8,698 24% 59  $147   $8,837,487

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I am very close to going A-. As more time passes by, I love it more and more. Whitaker was life, Chirrut was love, and Rook! Bodhi! out there actin' like a field marshal with all his strategizing.

As for Xander Cage....:depp:

I found out he's in it cause of a theater standee lol. When I first walked by it, I didn't see the movie name so with the giant big head of Diesel, I thought it's for Fast8. I did a double take then cause I'm pretty sure he's not in it. The reality hurts me.

Yen would be great in a FF movie though. Get on it Vin!

While "pandering" to China wasn't the main reason why Donnie Yen was cast, I'm pretty sure Disney still hoped that his presence would boost RO's box office in China. However, regardless if that happens or not, it was the right move to do, Yen was awesome, diversity is obviously very important, but in this case it didn't seem like they had chosen an Asian actor just to add more diversity, but because Yen was a great fit for the role and his inclusion felt perfectly natural.

What was the main reason, then?