FlashMaster659

Thursday #s - (Asgard2) R1 16.8m, Sing 15.3m

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-moves-up-carrie-fisher-debbie-reynolds-doc-air-date-deaths-95995

Don't know if this has been posted, but HBO is moving up the Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds doc airdate to January 7th.

I think the re-air also her Wishful Drinking ... whatever it was (docu/bio/...?) at this weekend

Mit $153 Mio. schafft ROGUE ONE die zweitbeste zweite Woche aller Zeiten in den USA ($375 Mio. in 14 Tagen)!

= with $153m SW R1 got the 2nd best 2nd week of all time in the USA ($375m in 14 days)!

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I don't think "pandering to China" was the major reason Lucasfilm cast Yen.

Maybe not the major reason but Im sure they knew it would have some kind of trickle down effect for Chinese audiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, POTUS said:

Early China PS suggesting $60-65m total for R1. Down 50% from SW7. Could lose to STB. 

First time star trek wins a major BO battle in the 40 year history. 

Scotty has the force in china!

I suspect this is just more fake news.

17 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Diversity in entertainment is important, especially in the United States when it is considered the so-called, "Melting Pot Of The World."  When you have a country as religiously, ethnically, and culturally diverse as the United States of America, it is VERY important that you showcase the beauty in all the cultures, religions, and ethnicities you house.  Some people may be less prone or comfortable to talk about representation and some may say it is needless, but young children do watch, do care, and do hear and they do learn from what the grown ups do and what is put on the screens and on paper.  

As a fourteen year old who's been raised all his life in a very conservative Christian family, I can say for a fact that because of representation, I could relate with certain characters and ideas in books, films, television, etc... and found out that being "gay" is not so bad.  So yeah, I do think representation is VERY important, and it is a shame that we still hold on to certain 18th century propaganda to substantiate why the way things are is okay.  

This is why diversity and representation is so significant.

PqH2r18.gif

Beautiful to hear, babe. Remember you are fucking amazing, and you should never ever dull your shine for anyone. Know your worth because you are amazing the way you are, and no one can take that from you.

Edited by Rey
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Rey said:

This is why diversity and representation is so significant.

PqH2r18.gif

Beautiful to hear, babe. Remember you are fucking amazing, and you should never ever dull your shine for anyone. Know your worth because you are amazing the way you are, and no one can that from you.

Very true and thank you!  That is so nice and endearing to hear! :D <3 <3

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

I don't think "pandering to China" was the major reason Lucasfilm cast Yen.

The Force borrows so much from Taoism that it was kinda fitting to use the "blind swordsman" Chinese story archetype for a character strong in the force. I don't know if it was pandering or not, but I don't care, since it just made so much sense and it works so well in the film. It didn't feel like "artificial diversity".

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

a) I explicitly stated that Yen was very good in the movie, and that I was making a general comment/observation.

2) If you think that anyone who notices the artificial and staged diversity of several movies today is "deranged" and "far-right" then I am really sorry, but I can't help you. 

c) How do you know that diversity quotas don't hurt or aid a movie's BO? 

d) Having a movie related to your country and/or culture makes *all* the difference. Check out the BO for The Last Samurai in Japan, or for 300/Troy in Greece. Check out how the Christoph Waltz movies did in Germany/Austria. How LOTR did in New Zealand and Scandinavia, the Potter movies in England, AOU in South Korea, African-American themed movies with African-American audiences. Culture/ethnicity plays a most fundamental role, denying this is absurd or worse. 

e) I partly agree with your last statement. Actors should be chosen on their merits, but since blockbuster movies are high-risk and high-cost ventures, minding the BO and trying to boost it any which way possible is perfectly understandable. All I am saying here is that you have to invest where the returns are. 

And yes, as one other poster noted, I cannot blame Disney for trying to pander to Chinese and other non US-Europe audiences. After trying, one has to rationally evaluate the results of this effort. 

1) Has nothing to do with the quote, nor does it contradict anything that I said

2) WTF are you even talking about?

That bit was about far-right groups clamouring for a boykott of Star Wars because of non-white actors.

There is literally no way how you could understand what I wrote in any different way. If you couldn't be bothered to inform yourself about these things, that isn't my problem.

3) How do you know that it did?

It's not on me to prove that having these actors hurt or helped the movies everywhere, you where the one who made claims that Star Wars should focus on actors who come from countries where the movies make the most money. The movie is performing exceptionally well, it is Star Wars, the reason why 99% of the people watch it is because it is Star Wars, not because the 7th most important actor happened to be an American. Even stars don't make the difference between a hit and a flop, yet you think that having a slightly different support cast would somehow make a huge difference, how is that supposed to make any sense?

4) Completely useless examples. Last Samurai played in Japan, of course it had mostly Japanese actors, hence it doesn't work as a comparable at all. The movies Christoph Waltz had success with were one James Bond and a few Tarantinos, all of which are already successful anyway, regardless of him. His James Bond movie actually dropped from the ones before. Besides, that is yet another useless comparison, because Waltz is featured in one core role, which is the opposite from that point you tried to make about Rogue One. You are also completey twisting this one on the head. International markets may improve a bit if one of their stars happened to be in a role, but Hollywood movies don't get perceived any differently in the US if the support roles behind the main ones are filled with American or British actors. The idea simply doesn't work. The whole reason why international markets might be a bit more interested in a movie which includes one of its stars is because it is completely uncommon. Having supporting actors from the USA is very much the opposite of being uncommon. No on is going to say "I really want to see this particular Hollywood movie because it features american actors in a support role", because that is true for virtually EVERY movie.

5) They don't need to do that at all. They need to focus on making the best possible movie, because the best possible movie will reach the biggest possible audience. The success of Star Wars will never depend on whether some support actors are American, British, German or Chinese, it is simply irrelevant for the movie as a whole. What has a far bigger impact is the quality of the movie. If everyone raves about it, more people will come and see it. That's what matters.

• Like 3

FW' s performance played entirely different for me on a second viewing. It helped that I had learned what was going on with his character and what was happening with him. I learned that on these forums since I have not seen the new televised series. The entire first third of the movie was much more enjoyable having this knowledge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It has still managed to grow a tiny bit this year, but nothing like the previous 5. It will take significantly longer for the Chinese BO to overtake the North American one, but it will happen within the next few years, it's inevitable, their market is far from being saturated. The government has stopped subsidizing ticket sales and also prohibited distributors from buying their own tickets in order to make every movie appear as a major hit, hence why the growth rate stalled in 2016. Growth will definitely resume in the coming years. 

There's also the issue that the Yuan is down ~8% against the $US since the fall, turning, say $75M into $69M.

• Like 2

Sing Universal $15,039,855 -3% 4,022 $3,739   $123,601,490
Almost Christmas Universal $31,495 -8% 242 $130   $41,889,980
The Secret Life of Pets Universal $21,860 5% 107 $204   $368,384,330

Lion Weinstein Co. $485,883 3% 500 $972   $3,832,503

Nocturnal Animals Focus Features $60,116 4% 192 $313   $9,993,538
Loving Focus Features $19,803 n/c 75 $264   $7,409,341
A Monster Calls Focus Features $4,138 -3% 4 $1,035   $51,551