FlashMaster659

Thursday #s - (Asgard2) R1 16.8m, Sing 15.3m

9 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Donnie Yen was great in Rogue One, don't get me wrong and actors like him deserve all the Hollywood chances they can get. But if all this carefully crafted diversity (talking in general terms here) does not produce any genuine BO advantage then why bother? Just stick to pleasing the core audience that has been carrying Star Wars to the stratosphere for decades. If on the other hand you are the FF franchise...

Ehhhh.....but Yen did please the core audience - hence his being the actor most singled out for his performance by fans.

• Like 13

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Yes it finally made more O/S than domestic because it just opened in South Korea

Not sure why that seems to... not sure the word. You do not like something about his sentence?

SK was last year from the beginning included, now we see a bit of it in the dailies.

Wednesday it was finally over despite SK (means even excluding SK it would have finally be higher than dom)

Thursday OS had $17.6m - $695,714 of that is from SK (where SW R1 is competiting against a local blockbuster). Depending on the Thursday dom actuals we will see if OS excluding SK is above or under dom... 

Still trying to understand the why :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

If the presence of Donnie Yen & the other Chinese actor cannot lift Rogue One in China, then Disney should reconsider its casting choices going forward. Star Wars makes money in North America and Europe, act accordingly. 

Yup. Chinese BO has gone flat. Most tentpoles are earning less than $120m and they get only 25%.  Time to stop pandering

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Donnie Yen was great in Rogue One, don't get me wrong and actors like him deserve all the Hollywood chances they can get. But if all this carefully crafted diversity (talking in general terms here) does not produce any genuine BO advantage then why bother? Just stick to pleasing the core audience that has been carrying Star Wars to the stratosphere for decades. If on the other hand you are the FF franchise...

[mod edit]

TdkZB7A.gif

Diversity is fucking important. Representation is important.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I don't see any reason to do that. Did the presence of Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen or the others cause a drop in box office for the movie in places were Star Wars is strongest?

It doesn't look like it. Apart from a few deranged people on the far-right and their "boycott", no one was in any way bothered by it and the movie has been a huge success. There is zero reason to assume that the movie would have fared any differently in its biggest markets if more actors from those markets had been in it. People from those countries watch Star Wars because it is Star Wars, not because actors from their country are in it.

Lucasfilm should use the actors they deem to be the best fit for the roles they have - provided they can get them of course - regardless of where they are from.

a) I explicitly stated that Yen was very good in the movie, and that I was making a general comment/observation.

2) If you think that anyone who notices the artificial and staged diversity of several movies today is "deranged" and "far-right" then I am really sorry, but I can't help you. 

c) How do you know that diversity quotas don't hurt or aid a movie's BO? 

d) Having a movie related to your country and/or culture makes *all* the difference. Check out the BO for The Last Samurai in Japan, or for 300/Troy in Greece. Check out how the Christoph Waltz movies did in Germany/Austria. How LOTR did in New Zealand and Scandinavia, the Potter movies in England, AOU in South Korea, African-American themed movies with African-American audiences. Culture/ethnicity plays a most fundamental role, denying this is absurd or worse. 

e) I partly agree with your last statement. Actors should be chosen on their merits, but since blockbuster movies are high-risk and high-cost ventures, minding the BO and trying to boost it any which way possible is perfectly understandable. All I am saying here is that you have to invest where the returns are. 

And yes, as one other poster noted, I cannot blame Disney for trying to pander to Chinese and other non US-Europe audiences. After trying, one has to rationally evaluate the results of this effort. 

• Like 1

Rogue One Walt Disney $16,600,000 -8% 4,157 $3,993   $375,256,173

Why Him? 20th Century Fox $2,741,984 -4% 2,970 $923   $24,558,587
Assassin’s Creed 20th Century Fox $2,548,837 -4% 2,970 $858   $31,043,518
Trolls 20th Century Fox $256,278 1% 499 $514   $149,666,629
Hidden Figures 20th Century Fox $215,808 8% 25 $8,632   $1,466,395
Miss Peregrine’s… 20th Century Fox $23,572 4% 125 $189   $86,896,767

Fences Paramount $2,347,576 -4% 2,233 $1,051   $19,702,144
Office Christmas Party Paramount $1,058,311 -3% 2,441 $434   $47,546,675
Arrival Paramount $325,171 -4% 456 $713   $90,832,332
Allied Paramount $37,037 -5% 157 $236   $39,439,205
Jack Reacher: Never… Paramount $22,201 5% 140 $159   $58,495,151
Silence Paramount $21,774 11% 4 $5,444   $227,374

Jackie Fox Searchlight $420,603 -2% 348 $1,209   $5,476,006

Neruda The Orchard $7,359 n/c 4 $1,840   $107,499
Christine The Orchard $112 -50% 3 $37   $297,355

Miss Sloane EuropaCorp $7,157 -8% 67 $107   $3,469,757
Shut In EuropaCorp $1,591 -11% 18 $88   $6,891,009

SW R1 still only estimates!

• Like 5

Diversity in entertainment is important, especially in the United States when it is considered the so-called, "Melting pot of the world."  When you have a country as culturally, religiously, and ethnically diverse as the United States of America, it is VERY important that you showcase the beauty in all the cultures, religions, and ethnicities you house.  Some people may be less prone or comfortable to talk about representation and some may say it is needless, but young children do watch, do care, and do hear and they do learn from what the grown ups do and what is put on the screens and on paper.  

As a fourteen year old who's been raised all his life in a very conservative Christian family, I can say for a fact that because of representation, I could relate with certain characters and ideas in books, films, television, etc... and found out that being "gay" is not so bad.  So yeah, I do think representation is VERY important and it is a shame that we still hold on to certain 18th century propaganda to substantiate why the way things are is okay.  

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Yup. Chinese BO has gone flat. Most tentpoles are earning less than $120m and they get only 25%.  Time to stop pandering

It has still managed to grow a tiny bit this year, but nothing like the previous 5. It will take significantly longer for the Chinese BO to overtake the North American one, but it will happen within the next few years, it's inevitable, their market is far from being saturated. The government has stopped subsidizing ticket sales and also prohibited distributors from buying their own tickets in order to make every movie appear as a major hit, hence why the growth rate stalled in 2016. Growth will definitely resume in the coming years. 

Edited by PPZVGOS