FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

14 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Hmm... that's one weak-ass friday increase... thought it would gonna do 20m for sure... *shrugs*

Yeah, I had it at about $19m on the low end and thought it would probably end up right around $20m. Crappy increase indeed, and the whole WE is kinda underwhelming for RO ($50.5m is $2m lower than my lowest prediction)...

Of course if the projections hold :P

Drinking half a bottle while having a cold was unwise lol....

SOLID numbers RO will be at 440 million by Monday.

It will pass age of ultron rather easily ...think about it.. 

TDK is not locked yet but seems certain if it's at 440 million by Monday.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, GuardianDevil said:

I still believe in RO hitting 600 million.

How? I think that window closed in the last 2-3 days or so. Especially after the Friday estimates came in. 

38 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

I see no problem Moana doing "only" 250M. It is a great number, even better when we remember Kubo's disgusting performance.

Kubo who? What about Pets/Zootopia/Dory/JB and now Sing? 

Last year we also had Inside Out and Minions. 

Let alone something similarly-themed such as Frozen. What the numbers clearly and emphatically demonstrate is that Moana is the weakest major animated property of the past  few years. And if the domestic number seems passable (which it is) its foreign numbers are nigh disastrous. 

• Like 1

Chicken Run, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Pirates Band of Misfits (sadly underrated) are my A-list stop-motions.

Spoiler

Amazingly, as a stop-motion fan, I haven't watched Nightmare Before Christmas. :ph34r: Don't know why, just never happened. Probably cause I didn't like The Corpse Bride as much.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

How? I think that window closed in the last 2-3 days or so. Especially after the Friday estimates came in. 

Let alone something similarly-themed such as Frozen. What the numbers clearly and emphatically demonstrate is that Moana is the weakest major animated property of the past  few years. And if the domestic number seems passable (which it is) its foreign numbers are nigh disastrous. 

That honor goes to TGD unabashedly. However I agree that IO, MINIONS, ZOOTP, DORY, PETS, SING all beating MOANA is more than worth noting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Chicken Run, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Pirates Band of Misfits (sadly underrated) are my A-list stop-motions.

Hide contents

Amazingly, as a stop-motion fan, I haven't watched Nightmare Before Christmas. :ph34r: Don't know why, just never happened. Probably cause I didn't like The Corpse Bride as much.

No Wallace and Gromit!? That film is brilliant 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Trolls, Ice Age 5, Kung Fu Panda 3 (??), The Good Dinosaur, The Peanuts Movie...

Moana will do "only" 3x+ its budget. omg, what a disaster.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, a2knet said:

That honor goes to TGD unabashedly. However I agree that IO, MINIONS, ZOOTP, DORY, PETS, SING all beating MOANA is more than worth noting. 

Moana, unfortunately for its run, came in with sky high expectations and comparisons to Frozen. Reviews were great, It also got extra promo thanks to The Rock as well as Miranda. But it just did not catch on big for some reason, pretty much has followed TS2 from day 3 onwards with a dip when Sing released. It is falling prey to inflated expectations more than anything else, OS results have been more disappointing for sure. Not sure if a non-white princess is to blame like the tumblr crowd seems to think.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Both DM1 and Sing were good though.

Despicable Me is the best Illumination film, i haven't seen Sing but I wonder if having a director and writer who isnt part of the core Illumination team has helped it be better than previous films 

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Moana, unfortunately for its run, came in with sky high expectations and comparisons to Frozen. Reviews were great, It also got extra promo thanks to The Rock as well as Miranda. But it just did not catch on big for some reason, pretty much has followed TS2 from day 3 onwards with a dip when Sing released. It is falling prey to inflated expectations more than anything else, OS results have been more disappointing for sure. Not sure if a non-white princess is to blame like the tumblr crowd seems to think.

Neither Moana or Sing are doing brilliant business OS though both are doing decently. Sing's underperforming OS is just as baffling as Moana's underperformance 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Despicable Me is the best Illumination film, i haven't seen Sing but I wonder if having a director and writer who isnt part of the core Illumination team has helped it be better than previous films 

Neither Moana or Sing are doing brilliant business though both are doing decently. Sing's underperforming OS is just as baffling as Moana's underperformance 

Sing will finish close to 300. Domestically id say thats pretty good.

• Like 1