FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

9 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Any reasonable prediction for Episode VIII is that it'll have a fairly large drop from TFA. However, this is still SW we're talking about, and it has been proven time and time again that this franchise follows its own rules (at least domestically). If any movie is going to buck the trend of a sequel to a megahit decreasing, it's gonna be Episode VIII. I still don't think it's going to happen, but you have to at least entertain the possibility.

And what do you think that "fairly large drop" would be? 

30%? 25%?

40 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah, that's too high, especially when Monster Trucks will make that on its Thursday previews.

But it already did so in presales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruthie said:

In other words:  Baze was tremendous!

As a huge fan of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, followed and watched most of their movies. Donnie is consistent, very similar to his Wuxia/Bodyguards and Assasin's performance. And very impressive considering he does not have alot to work with.

But jiang wen is quite disappointing..he did not do anything memorable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

In terms of B.O. success there's absolutely no incentive for them change, no reason to.

Illumination though seems to want more respect and be an Awards player.  Otherwise, I have no idea why they premiered Sing at the TIFF.

If they want more awards consideration, they'll have to do two things:

1. Spend more time on the production, particularly the writing. 

2. Increase the animation budget by at least 2/3rds. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Well tonight's game has been pretty boring. Wonder if some folks will turn it off and head to the movies instead. 

God knows I wish I could be watching R1 right now. At least Ohio State is losing.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

As a huge fan of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, followed and watched most of their movies. Donnie is consistent, very similar to his Wuxia/Bodyguards and Assasin's performance. And very impressive considering he does not have alot to work with.

But jiang wen is quite disappointing..he did not do anything memorable. 

As someone who prior to seeing RO was vaguely familiar with Yen and had no idea of Wen's existance, I liked the way each portrayed his respective character, but favor Wen's Baze Malbus.  With mostly body language and facial expressions, he marvelously depicted Malbus as jaded and disillusioned but still willing to keep the window opened just a sliver for - I'm going to say it - hope to seep in via Imwe.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

But jiang wen is quite disappointing..he did not do anything memorable

You must not have watched the same movie I did. 

Without getting into spoiler territory, I'd say he might have the best character arc in the film. It's incredibly powerful. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

If CFB is you getting you down, maybe my list could pick up your spirits! Probably not. Worth a shot though :P.

Everyone should check this list even if only for the incredible drawings. They deserve all the attention. Please, if you are reading this, check them out.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Ruthie said:

As someone who prior to seeing RO was vaguely familiar with Yen and had no idea of Wen's existance, I liked the way each portrayed his respective character, but favor Wen's Baze Malbus.  With mostly body language and facial expressions, he marvelously depicted Malbus as jaded and disillusioned but still willing to keep the window opened just a sliver for - I'm going to say it - hope to seep in via Imwe.  

Wen was excellent. Not sure what Tigerpaw is talking about. Tigerpaw is grasping as straws.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

How come there are no time stamps on the posts? Is that a glitch due to the new year? 

Y2k was only 17 years late.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

How come there are no time stamps on the posts? Is that a glitch due to the new year? 

Mine has fixed itself, so I think you might just have to wait for some clock to sync or something.