filmlover

PGA Nominations

Just now, Valonqar said:

"important" indie garden variety.

Fences, Lion and Manchester = dull family drama garden variety.

LLL = Hollywood industry movie garden variety (those became a new genre at least with AMPAS)  

Hidden Figures = feelgood fluff garden variety 

I get the feeling that if it has black people in it, you just dismiss it as a message movie...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I get the feeling that if it has black people in it, you just dismiss it as a message movie...

Spotlight was lily white and is probably one of the most message-y important dull dramas ever. You cna't deny that AMPAS has their predictable pattern of noms and wins. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

OK, but you're still not offering any evidence you actually saw Moonlight and can explain how it's just mediocre fodder for AMPAS.

He hasn't.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

You haven't even seen any of these movies except Deadpool and maybe Arrival, have you?

That's right. cause I can tell from the trailer that they are mediocre AMPAS stuff. OK, La La Land looks inspired but the rest is just garden variety of dull family dramas, "important" indies, and feelgood fluff. 

Edited by RandomJC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

OK, but you're still not offering any evidence you actually saw Moonlight and can explain how it's just mediocre fodder for AMPAS.

I don't have to see it and why are so hung up on that movie? I don't give a crap about RT and MC scores. They gave highest scores to a bunch of movies that I took off after 20 min (Boyhood, for example). Holy smokes, was that thing overpraised!

Just now, Valonqar said:

I don't have to see it and why are so hung up on that movie? I don't give a crap about RT and MC scores. They gave highest scores to a bunch of movies that I took off after 20 min (Boyhood, for example). Holy smokes, was that thing overpraised!

Saying that a movie is mediocre just based on a trailer is asinine. Especially when you're assuming that another movie is better just based on its trailer.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Saying that a movie is mediocre just based on a trailer is asinine. Especially when you're assuming that another movie is better just based on its trailer.

because, whether you like it or not, trailers are made to convince the public that one movie is better than the other just from 2 min selection of scenes. 

But anyway, Moonlight is likely to win big come SAG, PGA, DGA and finally the Oscars, who cares what I think and whether I'll see it or not and why don't you extend the same concern to Manchester by the Sea which I put into dull family drama category, arguably worse than "important" indie category? 

Just now, Valonqar said:

because, whether you like it or not, trailers are made to convince the public that one movie is better than the other just from 2 min selection of scenes. 

The purpose of the trailers is to convince the public to go see a movie. You are perfectly fine saying the trailers don't appeal to you, but trailers are not the movie, and it's very foolish to equate the two, especially since those who make the trailer aren't those who make the movie.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But anyway, Moonlight is likely to win big come SAG, PGA, DGA and finally the Oscars, who cares what I think and whether I'll see it or not and why don't you extend the same concern to Manchester by the Sea which I put into dull family drama category, arguably worse than "important" indie category? 

Whether you like it or not, you are a representation of your family.

Clearly, your mother is a mediocre person, judging by her child.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Whether you like it or not, you are a representation of your family.

Clearly, your mother is a mediocre person, judging by her child.

Oh, so you are now throwing personal insults? proof that movie(s) you defend clearly aren't all that great when you ran out of arguments so quickly and resorted to personal attacks. Thanks for proving my point. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Oh, so you are now throwing personal insults? proof that movie(s) you defend clearly aren't all that great when you ran out of arguments so quickly and resorted to personal attacks. Thanks for proving my point. 

I think you missed his point.

• Like 2

While I don't entirely agree with @Valonqar, I understand where he is coming from.  Most of the time, films that come out between November and January are films aimed directly at the academy.  They are dramas that deal with tragedy or very human issues that the academy deems important.  Fences, while an interesting character study is a joke, imo, as one of the best of the year.  I think Manchester is a terrific film but it is the epitome of Oscar bait.  Don't get me wrong, it will make my top 20 of the year but I think what Val is saying is that there is a mold as to what the academy looks for.  Last year, TFA by all accounts should have been on the short list for best picture.  The Dark Knight is another.  And so on.  Great film making isn't JUST about sad, tragic dramas that make you wish for better endings and ask you to cry along with the characters.  There's all kinds of movies that should be considered, not just the ones that are quiet human dramas with dramatic and tragic elements to them.

Moonlight:  tragic

Fences: tragic

Manchester: tragic

Lion:  tragic

There's just too many of the same films that get recognized.  That's one of the plethora of reasons I'd love to see Deadpool get nominated.  It would go way against the trend.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm attacking you because it's clear that you don't watch that many movies. Neither do I, but I also don't lament The Academy's taste.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

"important" indie garden variety.

Fences, Lion and Manchester = dull family drama garden variety.

LLL = Hollywood industry movie garden variety (those became a new genre at least with AMPAS)  

Hidden Figures = feelgood fluff garden variety 

I honestly see it that way. I'm not trolling. It's always same old, they throw genre such as sci fi or fantasy and even superhero (deadpool) a bone here and there but rarely for something big (ROTK and Cuaron win for Gravity are the only major category wins ever for sci fi and/or fantasy) . They talk about diversity yet recycle the same genres which always get priority over great sci fi or fantasy. For example, Fury Road last year had to hit a roadblock that was "important" drama Spotlight. There's always going to be some freakin "important" roadblock or Hollywood industry movie roadblock or whatever.

Sci-fi/fantasy movies get nominated all the time man.  

These aren't the Saturn awards.  There's more good movies out there than "Space, Aliens and Explosions the Movie!" (See how easy generalizing in).

You also said, "the same shit as always" but you admitted yourself you only watched the trailers.

If this whole rant is just "why don't my Batman, Captain America, Hobbit, Harry Potter insert blockbuster/tentpole here etc movies get nominated?"  It's because if you want examples of generic movies, don't look any farther than those.

Not saying the academy is perfect with picking their movies, and I do think there are certain movies that have a harder time getting into the academy.  For example niche indie genre movies, smaller movies centered on minority issues (im honestly still a little shocked the guilds are going for Moonlight), the rare exceptional franchise film, animation, etc.

But I also think your reasoning and argument are little ridiculous.  Especially when, what, you've only seen Deadpool?  Maybe Arrival?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, baumer said:

While I don't entirely agree with @Valonqar, I understand where he is coming from.  Most of the time, films that come out between November and January are films aimed directly at the academy.  They are dramas that deal with tragedy or very human issues that the academy deems important.  Fences, while an interesting character study is a joke, imo, as one of the best of the year.  I think Manchester is a terrific film but it is the epitome of Oscar bait.  Don't get me wrong, it will make my top 20 of the year but I think what Val is saying is that there is a mold as to what the academy looks for.  Last year, TFA by all accounts should have been on the short list for best picture.  The Dark Knight is another.  And so on.  Great film making isn't JUST about sad, tragic dramas that make you wish for better endings and ask you to cry along with the characters.  There's all kinds of movies that should be considered, not just the ones that are quiet human dramas with dramatic and tragic elements to them.

There's just too many of the same films that get recognized.  That's one of the plethora of reasons I'd love to see Deadpool get nominated.  It would go way against the trend.

perfectly said. Also, TDK, the much mourned Best Picture snubbee is holding very well on Top Lists (most recent being BBC's Top 100 of the aughts) while the winner and nominees from that year are nowhere to be found. 

IMO, the biggest flaw with Oscars is that they award and nominate RIGHT NOW and that cannot give one an idea what will stand the test of time. ROTK will and already has because it's a timeless story. Likewise snubbed TDK. But AMPAS tends to award/nominate movies that are timely, or capture the zeitgeist meaning they don't work beyond that particular time, or are about something that is a hot topic of the moment, or are a reaction to some larger situation that is also just effective in that particular moment but not years later. if they could change that and think more ahead and more about what's timeless and less about reacting to, I dunno, war in this or that overseas country or presidential election or whatever that is about the current mood (that won't be a relevant mood years or even months later) than their choices would be better. because, lets be honest, if you vote for a movie cause it improves your depression over a political thing, or vote for a movie to spite someone, that movie's guaranteed to be forgotten or looked down upon in years to come.

@La La Panda

Not saying the academy is perfect with picking their movies, and I do think there are certain movies that have a harder time getting into the academy.  For example niche indie genre movies, smaller movies centered on minority issues (im honestly still a little shocked the guilds are going for Moonlight), the rare exceptional franchise film, animation, etc.

Indies have Indie Spirit. Trouble is, those awards became too mainstream and trying to emulate oscars, so they snub real indies in favor of quasi indies such as Manchester and Moonlight (backed up by Plan B so that's your answer why guilds are going for it). 

Edited by Valonqar

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

Deadpool is about a guy who gets Cancer and tries to get his life back: Tragic. :ph34r:

• Like 3