filmlover

PGA Nominations

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Imagine if Deadpool is our surprise Best Picture nominee this year. A superhero movie in which the superhero takes a dildo up the ass getting a nomination when the Nolan masterpiece did not.

IMHO, Deadpool is just as good as TDK.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

How is Deadpool done when it keeps getting precursor nods?  Not saying it's overly likely, but it's not done like Silence is done.

I am pretty confident that also Silence will receive more #1 votes than Deadpool. PGA always has room for big popular hits without Oscars nom. Gone Girl, Straight Outta Compton, Skyfall, Star Trek...

1 minute ago, stripe said:

I am pretty confident that also Silence will receive more #1 votes than Deadpool. PGA always has room for big popular hits without Oscars nom. Gone Girl, Straight Outta Compton, Skyfall, Star Trek...

Gone Girl was expected to be a major player until it got almost completely shut out on nomination morning.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

You haven't even seen any of these movies except Deadpool and maybe Arrival, have you?

That's right. cause I can tell from the trailer that they are mediocre AMPAS stuff. OK, La La Land looks inspired but the rest is just garden variety of dull family dramas, "important" indies, and feelgood fluff. 

29 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's right. cause I can tell from the trailer that they are mediocre AMPAS stuff. OK, La La Land looks inspired but the rest is just garden variety of dull family dramas, "important" indies, and feelgood fluff. 

Lololololololololol.  No comment.

• Like 6

Heres my hot take on Deadpool (that no one asked for) getting all of this awards season love and the reactions to it. 

First off I think the reactions are really over the top for several reasons. Its really showing just how snobbish some of these film folks are. I know it may seem shocking to some folks but Deadpool is a really good movie that deserves to be recognized. Its amazing how folks forget the box office run it had its opening weekend. It made as much money as it did its opening weekend because of WOM. People loved it. Point blank. It was Deadpool's world. And as I said the majority of folks LOVED IT. 

Secondly its very telling what the industry thinks of Deadpool as a whole. Its been almost a year since its release and its getting recognized. Think about that. Even before its release, its script was being raved about by insiders. Clearly the industry respects it as a film. 

Lastly, unlike the other films that were nominated, Deadpool wasn't made just to get nominated for these awards. The last thing on anyone's mind who was involved with Deadpool was "hey lets get some awards season love." They were just happy the movie finally got made. 

I understand not liking the film, because everything is a matter of opinion but I keep seeing the word undeserving and I think to say its undeserving is really something. Its deserving of all the success its gotten so far for so many reasons that I don't want to get into but that I touched upon in my post above. All in all I'm really happy for Tim, Ryan, Rhett and Paul. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

You can't say I'm wrong. It's exactly the garden variety I listed. 

I'll bite.

I haven't seen Hidden Figures or Lion yet, so I won't make a judgment.  (Because when you haven't seen a movie, you can't make a legitimate quality judgment of it)

But anyways, I don't necessarily see how being a family drama or a feel good movie is a bad thing.  

But I guess you can categorize Fences and Manchester by the Sea in family drama.  However, they're far from dull, and it's doing the movies a disservice from calling them that.  It'd be like calling Game of Thrones, Fantasy Dragon Fluff.

Maybe Hacksaw Ridge is a feel good movie?  Not really, though.  It's actually fairly brutal and inspiring.  But I guess you could say inspiring makes it feel good?  Yet, I'm still not understanding how the tone of an ending or a movie is what makes it mediocre.  There are fantastic "feel good" movies and family dramas out there.  Deadpool is honestly the most feel good movie on the list, that I've seen, given that it's a comedy that makes you laugh where the good guy beats the villain and gets the girl. (See how easy it is to generically describe a movie)

Then that leaves "important" indies.  I'm failing to see what you really mean by important.  Maybe you meant culturally relevant?  I really fail to see how a movie being culturally relevant makes a movie mediocre at all.  It should honestly be nothing but a benefit for a movie.  Moonlight and Hell or High Water are culturally relevant, and they're fantastic movies.  I guess you're trying to imply that they only exist to preach social issues at you, which isn't true at all.  They're subtle and quite powerful films.

I'd also say Arrival's theme is culturally relevant, but it's not really an indie.

So I guess you could classify a number of those films in those categories, given how generic they are.  By the way you worded them I could classify Star Wars under "family drama" or "feel good", etc.

Then again, that was kind of a troll post, so I am probably wasting my time even responding to this.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

How would you say Moonlight is garden variety?

"important" indie garden variety.

Fences, Lion and Manchester = dull family drama garden variety.

LLL = Hollywood industry movie garden variety (those became a new genre at least with AMPAS)  

Hidden Figures = feelgood fluff garden variety 

I honestly see it that way. I'm not trolling. It's always same old, they throw genre such as sci fi or fantasy and even superhero (deadpool) a bone here and there but rarely for something big (ROTK and Cuaron win for Gravity are the only major category wins ever for sci fi and/or fantasy) . They talk about diversity yet recycle the same genres which always get priority over great sci fi or fantasy. For example, Fury Road last year had to hit a roadblock that was "important" drama Spotlight. There's always going to be some freakin "important" roadblock or Hollywood industry movie roadblock or whatever.

Edited by Valonqar