filmlover

PGA Nominations

1 minute ago, baumer said:

The story that leads Patel and Kidman to meet is.  

Yes it's a sad and harrowing start, but the film ends happily ever after with the family reunion (and we even see footage of the real life families meeting). So it ends on a very uplifting note and ultimately a celebration of human perseverance and persistence, with a shout-out to Google.

Fences is a tragedy. Manchester by the Sea I'd agree is a tragedy.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadpool is about a guy who gets Cancer and tries to get his life back: Tragic. :ph34r:

La La Land is the return of musicals to the big screen: Tragic :ph34r:

Before I get crucified, it was my #1 of the year and I love musicals. [/spoilers]

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

The story that leads Patel and Kidman to meet is.  

I'd reckon most (besides straight comedies) have some element of tragedy in them.  And tragic elements don't make movies the same.

Rogue One is a tragedy, and it couldn't be more different from Manchester by the Sea, which is very much different from say A Monster Calls, which is much different from Hell or High Water.

Not criticizing the point too much though.  I do think there's a lot of politics involved from the studios to get their movies nominated, and certain movies are simply easier sells to the AMPAS primary demographic.

I think making that demographic more diverse in ethnicity, age and gender is probably the best solution.

As for the movies nominated for the PGA, id reckon even if you don't love all of the movies, there's a number that you did.  I'd be shocked if any awards show's top 10 exactly aligned with mine, and that's okay.

• Like 2

I like fences and manchester-by-the-sea and lala land and lion and i LOVED Hacksaw and some of the other ones were good as well.  It's not whether or not I like the films or we like the films it's just the types of films that are nominated. I'm not necessarily saying that there are a ton of other films that should be considered at this year but in years past there are definitely films that could have been considered instead of something (for example) like the Reader.

• Like 1

I think most people would agree the Academy and similar organizations tend to be dismissive of films of most genres aside from dramas. But complaining about that while also dismissing a entire set of films based on nothing other than their genre and 2-3 minute trailers is the height of hypocrisy.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I would not call Rogue One a tragedy at all.

Rogue One is as tragic as it gets

father sacrifices everything he believed in to make a weapon of mass destruction knowing that it gives him a shot at sabotaging the weapon in the process by creating a weak spot. Something that another scientist wouldn't do. So he risks that:

the thing actually kills billions (which it will)

that the rebellion never gets plans

that even with plans they can't hit the weak spot

In the end, the fuckin weapon kills his daughter. And for what reason? cause bloody Krennic was on the same planet and Tarkin decided to blow him up.

That shit is more genuinely tragic than what passes for standard Best Picture tragedy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I would not call Rogue One a tragedy at all.

Neither is Hell or High Water. Haven't seen Monster Calls yet but considering it's marketed as a bildungsroman, I doubt it'll be a tragedy either.

If those aren't tragedies than neither is Manchester by the Sea.  I was mostly talking about tragic elements though.

A true tragedy follows the protagonist as he falls from grace and dies at the end.  Fences is the only actual tragedy nominated at the PGAs.

As for A Monster Calls (mild thematic spoilers)

The entire movie is about learning to come to grips about the inevitability of the death of somebody you hold dear.  Idk if I'd call it a tragedy, but it's the saddest movie I've seen this year.

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I'd still think Manchester by the Sea qualifies because Lee's "flaw" compels him to make certain choices at the end instead of attempting to turn the corner.

It also ends with a glimmer of hope that maybe someday he will.

It's not really about Lee's downfall though l.  If anything it's about his recovery.

Of the movies I've seen this year, the only two I'd really label as a tragedy are Fences and The Witch.  

There were plenty of movies with tragic elements, but not a lot of actual tragedies.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Imagine if Deadpool is our surprise Best Picture nominee this year. A superhero movie in which the superhero takes a dildo up the ass getting a nomination when the Nolan masterpiece did not.

I will be so pissed if Deadpool gets nominated, It is not even my 3rd favorite superhero film of the year!

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

I will be so pissed if Deadpool gets nominated, It is not even my 3rd favorite superhero film of the year!

I know right? In my opinion, if it's gotta be a franchise/superhero film, let it be Doctor Strange, or Fantastic Beasts, or Rogue One, or The Jungle Book, or even Civil War for that matter.

(I say this as a person that doesn't care for raunchiness that much. For those that do, Deadpool's successes are probably substantial.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

While I don't entirely agree with @Valonqar, I understand where he is coming from.  Most of the time, films that come out between November and January are films aimed directly at the academy.  They are dramas that deal with tragedy or very human issues that the academy deems important.  Fences, while an interesting character study is a joke, imo, as one of the best of the year.  I think Manchester is a terrific film but it is the epitome of Oscar bait.  Don't get me wrong, it will make my top 20 of the year but I think what Val is saying is that there is a mold as to what the academy looks for.  Last year, TFA by all accounts should have been on the short list for best picture.  The Dark Knight is another.  And so on.  Great film making isn't JUST about sad, tragic dramas that make you wish for better endings and ask you to cry along with the characters.  There's all kinds of movies that should be considered, not just the ones that are quiet human dramas with dramatic and tragic elements to them.

Moonlight:  tragic

Fences: tragic

Manchester: tragic

Lion:  tragic

There's just too many of the same films that get recognized.  That's one of the plethora of reasons I'd love to see Deadpool get nominated.  It would go way against the trend.

Moonlight isn't tragic. A sad tone hangs over the movie, but it's in no way tragic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

While I don't entirely agree with @Valonqar, I understand where he is coming from.  Most of the time, films that come out between November and January are films aimed directly at the academy.  They are dramas that deal with tragedy or very human issues that the academy deems important.  Fences, while an interesting character study is a joke, imo, as one of the best of the year.  I think Manchester is a terrific film but it is the epitome of Oscar bait.  Don't get me wrong, it will make my top 20 of the year but I think what Val is saying is that there is a mold as to what the academy looks for.  Last year, TFA by all accounts should have been on the short list for best picture.  The Dark Knight is another.  And so on.  Great film making isn't JUST about sad, tragic dramas that make you wish for better endings and ask you to cry along with the characters.  There's all kinds of movies that should be considered, not just the ones that are quiet human dramas with dramatic and tragic elements to them.

Moonlight:  tragic

Fences: tragic

Manchester: tragic

Lion:  tragic

There's just too many of the same films that get recognized.  That's one of the plethora of reasons I'd love to see Deadpool get nominated.  It would go way against the trend.

The big short , Mad max , The Grand Budapest Hotel , Whiplash , Her , Django unchained , Silver Linings Playbook , Hugo , Midnight in Paris , Inceptions , The Social Network , Black Swan , Avatar , Inglorious Bastards , Up in the Air , etc ..... are not your usual " cry along with the those people " movies 

• Like 3