DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

55 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

BvS was tough for Affleck? It was a gigantic box office hit, regardless of its multiplier and in spite of its reviews, and it made a substantial profit, not to mention that his portrayal was well received, and he got the Batman movie directing gig out of it.

Didn't the studio say it was expecting $1B from the film?

I think Affleck just needs a break, I suspect he's overworked himself in the last year with the promotions for BvS, filming Justice League, promoting The Accountant and editing and promoting Live by Night. I think he could handle the bad reviews for BvS and The Accountant since he's only one aspect of the process but something like Live by Night where he's director, actor and producer, the reviews must have hurt a lot more.

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Peter Berg is a fantastic director , he s frown upon by some because he doesn't do movies with -isms & poverty and illnesses and injustices & grief etc etc

Well said. I agree with you.

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Peter Berg is a fantastic director , he s frown upon by some because he doesn't do movies with -isms & poverty and illnesses and injustices & grief etc etc

Uuh, what?  His movies are average.  Not terrible, but nothing great either.  Serviceable is the best word to describe his movies.  I havent seen PD yet though. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Affleck just needs a break, I suspect he's overworked himself in the last year with the promotions for BvS, filming Justice League, promoting The Accountant and editing and promoting Live by Night. I think he could handle the bad reviews for BvS and The Accountant since he's only one aspect of the process but something like Live by Night where he's director, actor and producer, the reviews must have hurt a lot more.

Well, it's no secret his personal life has been in some sort of hell for a while now, so it's no wonder the stress is now beginning to become visible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

jingo is still an ism.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, ldb said:

Uuh, what?  His movies are average.  Not terrible, but nothing great either.  Serviceable is the best word to describe his movies.  I havent seen PD yet though. 

Patriots Day and Deepwater Horizon are two great movies released in the same year from the same director.  Do you know how hard it is to do that?

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Several of your posts today just reminded me of why I keep coming back to this place - posters like you (and others) make it feel real, particularly when opinions diverge ;)

Let me echo this. I don't usually agree with Baumer but I like reading his thoughts on movies because it's not being contrarian or snarky for the sake of it

• Like 2

Just now, ban1o said:

I wonder if with the success of Hidden Figureso holywood will make more PG rated adult movies that you can take your kids to 

There were actually a few families at my showing when I saw the movie when it was still in limited release. I won't be surprised if it becomes a classroom staple for years to come.

8 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I wonder if with the success of Hidden Figureso holywood will make more PG rated adult movies that you can take your kids to 

I think they'd only have a hope of being released during Oscar time.

Hidden Figures isn't going to be nearly as lucrative as the biggest PG movies.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I think they'd only have a hope of being released during Oscar time.

Hidden Figures isn't going to be nearly as lucrative as the biggest PG movies.

what? You mean animated movies? I'm referring to movies for adults. I really can't name that many PG movies not directly geared towards kids. 

Edited by ban1o