Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

This is the most exciting Oscar race in a very long time in my opinion. I've only been interested in the award season since Avatar's year but I can tell something is different about this one. I haven't this interested in the actual race since 2010, really.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slambros said:

This is the most exciting Oscar race in a very long time in my opinion. I've only been interested in the award season since Avatar's year but I can tell something is different about this one. I haven't this interested in the actual race since 2010, really.

It helps that there's no clear Best Picture frontrunner so early in the season for the first time in a while. 

• Like 1

The last 2 oscar races were the most unpredictable in a long time, though. Ever since the No Country-TWBB year I think BP(and most times also BD) were never in doubt weeks or even months before the ceremony. 

Spotlight-Revenant-Big Short split everything all the way up to oscar night, and last year it felt like the most predictable landslide since Slumdog until the twist at the last possible moment.

Eh, Oscars have been more unpredictable the last few years.  Since 2013, with the exception of Birdman, we had actual horse races or genuine shockers (like last year).

This year it's just taking more time for a front runner to appear.  I'd reckon once critic awards start there may be some more consensus.

• Like 1

I'd be inclined, after the last few movies to have won Best Picture (and the direction the Emmys went in this year with all the love for The Handmaid's Tale), to think the Academy will go with whatever is the most anti-Trump movie in the running, but what would that even be? Other than I guess Get Out lol.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'd be inclined, after the last few movies to have won Best Picture (and the direction the Emmys went in this year with all the love for The Handmaid's Tale), to think the Academy will go with whatever is the most anti-Trump movie in the running, but what would that even be? Other than I guess Get Out lol.

The Post? Media taking a stand against a government using coercion?

49 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The Post? Media taking a stand against a government using coercion?

Maybe. I was initially gonna say Call Me by Your Name would be the ultimate pick for maximum trollage but I don't think they're gonna crown queer-themed films two years in a row.

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe. I was initially gonna say Call Me by Your Name would be the ultimate pick for maximum trollage but I don't think they're gonna crown queer-themed films two years in a row.

Mike Pence isn't President yet, that wouldn't mean anything. It's easily the Post, that's about as much of a troll as I can imagine.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Mike Pence isn't President yet, that wouldn't mean anything.

The Emmys just rewarded The Handmaid's Tale (the reality in that show is Pence's wet dream) a bunch of stuff. Not impossible to believe that they'll go for whatever is against what Trump or anyone associated with him represents.

I just don't see The Post winning even with the anti-Trump narrative. Middlebrow inspirational dramas about the past are not sexy enough for the "new" Academy. They need to at least look like something else. Argo was sold more as thriller and 70s homage than a traditional drama about something important that happened decades ago, even 12 years a slave was from a european art-house auteur and had the edge of a movie about slavery through the black POV.

The Post just from the names involved sounds like something that would definately win BP 7-10 years ago.

22 hours ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Peele is for Get Out, Gerwig is for Lady Bird.

Im hoping we can at least have 1 female director nom this year.

I know what they would be in for 

but it could be argued that Martin McDonagh , Sean Baker , Luca Guadagnino , Joe Wright and Dee Rees are in a better position , not to mention Spielberg who can always get in 

1 minute ago, BirdMan said:

I know what they would be in for 

but it could be argued that Martin McDonagh , Sean Baker , Luca Guadagnino , Joe Wright and Dee Rees are in a better position , not to mention Spielberg who can always get in 

They were just early predicts.  I think Get Out will be a bigger player than we're making it out to be.

Im thinking Dees Rees has a great chance to get in too.  Along with Guadagnino and Spielberg.

It's still pretty open.

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda

1. Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water

2. Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

3. Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards

4. Luca Guadagnino, Call Me by Your Name

5. Denis Villeneuve, Blade Runner 2049

6. Steven Spielberg, The Post

7. Joe Wright, Darkest Hour

8. Jordan Peele, Get Out

9. Darren Aronofsky, mother!

10. Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird

Only GDT and Nolan are the safe ones IMO. This could become as big of a clusterfuck as 2012.

• Like 1

So Del Toro and Nolan are very close to being locked in , McDonagh , Guadagnino and Villeneuve are in a great spot for now Rees might have a better chance than Gerwig , Aronofsky is dead , Baker and Wright could happen and I don't want to say anything about Spielberg because last years " Silence " was a good lesson

Edited by BirdMan

6 hours ago, BirdMan said:

So Del Toro and Nolan are very close to being locked in , McDonagh , Guadagnino and Villeneuve are in a great spot for now Rees might have a better chance than Gerwig , Aronofsky is dead , Baker and Wright could happen and I don't want to say anything about Spielberg because last years " Silence " was a good lesson

I don't think Aronofsky is totally dead yet. mother! has a lot of passion, and the Directing branch in particular has been known to have passion nominees. Scoresese for Last Temptation and Lynch's last two are immediate ones that come to mind and were the sole nominations for their films, but there are some recent (albeit not as good for comparison) examples:

Bennett Miller didn't get any nominations from other groups and only had his Cannes win. He is the first and so far only director to be nominated without a BP nomination in the expanded field.

Terence Malick hit no precursors despite tons of critical support.

Behn Zeitlin managed to get a nomination over several big directors without having any precursors.

You could make a case for Haneke and Abrahamson too. I don't think we should take him out of the conversation just yet because mother! has really passionate fans and the Directing branch is small enough for him to surprise.

(go ahead and laugh at this post Coolio. I dare you.)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1