Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

The only remaining contenders that haven't been are Wonder Wheel (which will be screening at NYFF next week), The Post, and the PTA movie. Race is beginning to really thin out.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think that's much more likely to be Phantom Thread. If anything the Post can be this year's Unbroken.

I'm pretty sure The Greatest Showman is most likely to be this year's Unbroken. Will probably get decent/eh reviews and still make a ton thanks to the perfectly-timed Christmas Day release, a few tech noms, and nothing more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

any chance for any foreign language film to sneak in? The last foreign language to grab best pic nomination was amour in 2012, 5 years ago...

Not really. 120 Beats Per Minute seems to be the most acclaimed/popular European movie of the year and I think it can easily win Foreign Language Film but it won't get anywhere else.

23 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Not really. 120 Beats Per Minute seems to be the most acclaimed/popular European movie of the year and I think it can easily win Foreign Language Film but it won't get anywhere else.

I remember in last decade, the foreign language film, despite snubbed for best pics, still get a tons of nomination or even winning in major category, like Amelie, City of God, Pan Labyrinth, Diving bell, La Vien Rose.....but now, the presence of foreign language in major category is becoming rarer and rarer....

Is this indicate the declining of quality of european/Latin film?  

48 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I remember in last decade, the foreign language film, despite snubbed for best pics, still get a tons of nomination or even winning in major category, like Amelie, City of God, Pan Labyrinth, Diving bell, La Vien Rose.....but now, the presence of foreign language in major category is becoming rarer and rarer....

Is this indicate the declining of quality of european/Latin film?  

That's even before you go back the '60s, when it was the norm for 3/5 nominees in, say, original screenplay be non-English language films. 

I wouldn't say the quality has really gone down, it's just become tougher for European filmmakers and actors to break through if they aren't living legends on the level of Haneke or Isabelle Huppert last year. Needs to be a GOAT-level achievement like, say, the screenplay of A Separation, and even that won't give you a win. Just from the last few years there's no real reason why films like Toni Erdmann, The Handmaiden, Son of Saul, Phoenix, The Great Beauty shouldn't have been present in major categories. Elle deserved a lot more than a lone Best Actress nom.

It doesn't help that Sony Classics is the only remotely powerful studio left that distributes these films - the Miramax that distributed City of God/Amelie/Life Is Beautiful is no more, PictureHouse that distributed La Vie en Rose and Pan's Labyrinth is no more - and it generally gets a handful each year, and you can only spend so much promoting all of them. Magnolia and IFC just aren't on that level. Actually, that does give me a thought - it'd be great if places like A24 or Searchlight acquired foreign-language titles and brought them back some prominence by actively marketing them and pushing them for awards, and I'm not entirely sure why they don't even try. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

That's even before you go back the '60s, when it was the norm for 3/5 nominees in, say, original screenplay be non-English language films. 

I wouldn't say the quality has really gone down

If you go back to the 60's, an argument can be made about the quality going down in some of what were traditional popular with the academy market like Italy, while the quality went up from Iran, South Korea and so on.

I think one aspect is budget, did the difference in budget for academy type movies from Japan/Italy/France and the United State became bigger ?

The more important aspect is probably the distribution you are pointing out, people watch less and less foreign language movie, making studios not getting involved with them (Weinstein having been one of the last to make oscar campaign for them), removing them of the competition regardless of the quality level.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

I wouldn't say the quality has really gone down, it's just become tougher for European filmmakers and actors to break through if they aren't living legends on the level of Haneke or Isabelle Huppert last year. Needs to be a GOAT-level achievement like, say, the screenplay of A Separation, and even that won't give you a win. Just from the last few years there's no real reason why films like Toni Erdmann, The Handmaiden, Son of Saul, Phoenix, The Great Beauty shouldn't have been present in major categories. Elle deserved a lot more than a lone Best Actress nom.

It doesn't help that Sony Classics is the only remotely powerful studio left that distributes these films - the Miramax that distributed City of God/Amelie/Life Is Beautiful is no more, PictureHouse that distributed La Vie en Rose and Pan's Labyrinth is no more - and it generally gets a handful each year, and you can only spend so much promoting all of them. Magnolia and IFC just aren't on that level. Actually, that does give me a thought - it'd be great if places like A24 or Searchlight acquired foreign-language titles and brought them back some prominence by actively marketing them and pushing them for awards, and I'm not entirely sure why they don't even try. 

It's pity to see that a lot of great foreign language film only have best foreign language category to compete, I thought the expansion of best picture category would help, like the case of city of god, diving bell and pan labyrinth, they can have great chance to be included in best picture nominees list if more than 5 films allowed. With more than 5 films, the omission would become much less likely.....but still, ever since the expansion, only one sneak in, amour and the artist(french silent film)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BirdMan said:

Was there a big budget box office flop getting into most awards other than Hugo recently ?

I looked up numbers for other big budget nominees out of curiosity. You're right. Hugo is the only big budget flop, at least since they increased the amount Best Picture nominees.

(I still think Blade Runner 2049 has a chance at getting nominated, but its chance really has been diminished by some sort of margin.)

Edited by slambros

On 9/28/2017 at 9:25 AM, filmlover said:

Reviews/reactions for Last Flag Flying are coming in and while they aren't bad (most of the reviews so far are solid), it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of passion for the movie. Unless the trades turn out to be glowing, maybe a lone acting nom is its best chance. I'm now confident The Big Sick (which could definitely become one of those movies that gets revived at the end of the year) will be Amazon's #1 (or at least #2, depending on how the reviews for Wonder Wheel turn out when it's seen) push this year.

Not surprising 

2 hours ago, BirdMan said:

Was there a big budget box office flop getting into most awards other than Hugo recently ?

This century Master and Commander and Gangs of New York are the only other Best Picture nominees that didn't make back their $100m+ budget in the U.S.

Another dud that got nominated would be Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. It got mediocre reviews (and some of those who didn't like it were downright vicious in their attacks against it) and fared poorly at the box office and still got, shockingly, showed up against all odds the morning nominations were announced. The screams of horror in the press room when that happened is one of the more memorable moments to occur on nomination morning.