WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The soft to poor numbers for all of Patriots Day, The Founder, Silence, Live by Night, A Monster Calls, and 20th Century Women (all of which debuted in limited release on the same weekend) make me hopeful that studios will realize that it's not wise to crowd up the end of the year with Oscar contenders unless they really are Oscar contenders. A movie like 20th Century Women could've become a solid Hello, My Name is Doris type of success in like March or April.

Funnily enough, Hidden Figures also opened on Christmas Day in limited release as well and is looking to make more than all 6 of those movies combined.

Paterson and Julieta now losing steam in limited expansion too. There was zero good reason to throw them into this crowd too.

I remember in 2014 when two out of the three biggest Oscar contenders (Grand Budapest and Boyhood) were released in March and July, respectively, I hoped studios would finally realize how wide open the calendar is, but the way they've instead doubled down on scheduling everything they can in November and December is fucking bizarre. 

1 hour ago, mahnamahna said:

Split looks to be on its way to $115-145 million DOM - depends entirely on the extent of WOM and how it holds against Cure for Wellness next month. 

Hidden Figures is on pace for $140-155 million DOM - if it actually increases next weekend ($16.5-18.5 million for the weekend), it might surpass The Help ($175-185 million DOM likely being its ceiling unless its BO success persuades some Oscar voters to give the film some serious Best Supporting Actress consideration) 

La La Land should still do $135-155 million DOM, but it needs a big Oscar bump next weekend and a sub-40% drop over SB weekend to approach Chicago unadjusted (Valentine's Day boost would help, too). 

Sing is quietly making its way to $275 million DOM while Rogue One has slowed down considerably - still good for $530 million DOM. 

Cure For The Wellness has strange marketing, it could do modest numbers at best. Split will be fine.

"XxX3" came in soft domestically, you would think it was "Split" that was suppose to have the 20 OW right with Vin's star power?, lol.   But again this was one sequel many weren't asking for, With that said as I talked about the overseas take might save it in the end:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $20,000,000    28.4%
Foreign:  $50,500,000    71.6%

Worldwide:  $70,500,000

It's already out-grossed "State of the Union" so that's a success right?  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Paterson and Julieta now losing steam in limited expansion too. There was zero good reason to throw them into this crowd too.

I remember in 2014 when two out of the three biggest Oscar contenders (Grand Budapest and Boyhood) were released in March and July, respectively, I hoped studios would finally realize how wide open the calendar is, but the way they've instead doubled down on scheduling everything they can in November and December is fucking bizarre. 

I'm hoping Wind River opens in August like HOHW did.

• Like 1

What's the next big opener? I'm thinking Lego:Batman will do probably about $75-$85 million opening weekend. Fifty Shades Darker needs to do between $45-$50 million ow, but will more likely be $35-$40 million ow. John Wick 2 could north of $20 million ow.

President's Day, Fist Fight will probably do $35-$40 million 3-day ow. I've seen lots of spots for it during football games and the New Celebrity Apprentice as well as Lip Sync Battle. So it do decent numbers nonetheless.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm hoping Wind River opens in August like HOHW did.

Yeah. I mean, hell, it's done. Whoever buys it, just cut a decent trailer and you can drop it in theaters early in the summer already. No point in waiting. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Movies with good buzz can bomb with no competition too, though. Sing Street and Green Room both faltered in April/May.

Not that I actively support throwing a bunch of prestige films together, but some of them really are "critic appeal only" deals

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Movies with good buzz can bomb with no competition too, though. Sing Street and Green Room both faltered in April/May.

Not that I actively support throwing a bunch of prestige films together, but some of them really are "critic appeal only" deals

Everybody Wants Some!! failed to find much of an audience too despite Linklater coming off of Boyhood (although I guess there just wasn't much of a theater audience for an 80s college comedy in the 2010s).

Sing Street could've found an audience had a studio other than Weinstein handled it. I imagine it would've made at least $20M in the hands of someone like Fox Searchlight.

6 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Two things left for RO box office wise

1. Passing TDK domestic for #6 all time

2. Passing FD WW for #2 of 2016

RO won't pass Civil War for #1 WW, which makes me very happy. :D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Everybody Wants Some!! failed to find much of an audience too despite Linklater coming off of Boyhood (although I guess there just wasn't much of a theater audience for an 80s college comedy in the 2010s).

Sing Street could've found an audience had a studio other than Weinstein handled it. I imagine it would've made at least $20M in the hands of someone like Fox Searchlight.

Everybody Wants Some!!! Was disappointing, Dazed & Confused was way better than that movie. But Paramount dumped it in April and gave it a small release and left theaters quick.

Just now, Talkie said:

RO won't pass Civil War for #1 WW, which makes me very happy. :D

I'm a much bigger SW fan than MCU so I'll always want a SW movie to be at the top of the heap. 

However, i thoroughly enjoyed CW as well so it's all good.  ???

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

Outside of Popstar last year, I don't think i've ever seen something lose as many theaters in wide release as quickly as A Monster Calls. Only 42 left.

Didn't Jen & The Holograms drop even faster? 

6 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Everybody Wants Some!!! Was disappointing, Dazed & Confused was way better than that movie. But Paramount dumped it in April and gave it a small release and left theaters quick.

giphy.gif

• Like 1