cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

I think Wes Anderson movies have enough "quirky cred" to avoid racism accusations. Everyone's just going to let him be cuz he's Wes Anderson and that's how he rolls. 

I'm realizing now with Early Man's lukewarm reception that 2018 really doesn't look all that strong anymore. Better than last year but still doesn't appear to be a banner year for animation. Hopefully Laika's next movie is indeed coming out at the end of the year as was reported a few months ago but I doubt it. Would make sense to give it an awards-friendly release date and platform strategy with Kubo bombing especially since it apparently isn't aimed at kids so much.

Edited by tribefan695

45 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Honestly, is 2019 looking any better? If Laika waits until then, their only competition is maybe Dragons 3 and definitely Frozen 2.

It really would behoove them to get something out this year, if it's ready. 

Well, there's Toy Story 4 and a few Paramount Animation projects. Nothing else besides that. 

I don't have time right now to re-post the charts and analysis I did last year. I did take a quick look though, and there's absolutely no chance Boss Baby would ever have gotten nominated based on the patterns during the previous set of rules (2005-2016).

Long story short, in most of those years, no films that failed to be nominated were better to a statistically significant degree (based on critic ratings as compiled by RT) than the weakest successfully nominated film. In a few years, just one such film was passed over in favour of a significantly weaker candidate, and in only one year were two such films passed over.

This year, there are at least EIGHT significantly stronger films that were passed over, and I haven't finished counting yet.

What a joke.

17 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I'm betting they're not gonna win next year. They're less kind to the sequels. Plus isle of dogs pretty good opportunity to finally give Wes Anderson an oscar.

I would love that, but if Incredibles 2 delivers both critically and ends up one of the most successful animated films of all time, Isle of Dogs is going to have a huge uphill battle. Dory's snub of even a nom is a bad one to use as a gauge for I2 because the animated competition was so incredibly strong that year from WDAS. The Academy wasn't going to nominate three Disney movies, and the WDAS efforts were clearly superior. Speaking of which, Ralph 2 probably shouldn't be ruled out either to win, though after the first inexplicably lost to Brave it would seem odd if the sequel won. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Morieris said:

Honestly, is 2019 looking any better? If Laika waits until then, their only competition is maybe Dragons 3 and definitely Frozen 2.

It really would behoove them to get something out this year, if it's ready. 

Um...Toy Story 4 isn't major competition for this award? The franchise is critical and accolade royalty, and the first two films surely would have won their respective years if the award had been around then. I've always been peeved at TS4's existence because of how perfectly TS3 capped the franchise, but at the same time I also feel like Pixar is aware of this and I can't imagine they would risk tarnishing such an immaculate legacy just to make a quick buck. It's not like we're talking about the Cars franchise or something. 

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Um...Toy Story 4 isn't major competition for this award? The franchise is critical and accolade royalty, and the first two films surely would have won their respective years if the award had been around then. I've always been peeved at TS4's existence because of how perfectly TS3 capped the franchise, but at the same time I also feel like Pixar is aware of this and I can't imagine they would risk tarnishing such an immaculate legacy just to make a quick buck. It's not like we're talking about the Cars franchise or something. 

I'm gonna keep it real with you my guy;

I totally forgot about Toy Story 4.

TS4's probably going to be riddled with baggage in addition to the debate over its justification for existing. With Lasseter being ousted and Rashida Jones leaving it's become the poster child for the harassment scandal in the animation industry. Fair or not, it's going to look like a regressive production compared to Frozen 2.

Edited by tribefan695

On 2018-01-23 at 3:55 PM, Ithil said:

Bloody Ferdinand? Yech.

Oh sure... :rolleyes:

When a Disney/Pixar-film gets nominated for Best Animated Feature, everybody cheers.....but when Non-Disney/Pixar films from Blue-Sky or Illumination gets a nomination....everybody gets grouchy like hell.

In terms of big grossing animated films....i rather have a variety from other animation studios than having films from the exact same studio hogging all the Oscar-attention (I’m looking at you, Disney!).

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

5 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Oh sure... :rolleyes:

When a Disney/Pixar-film gets nominated for Best Animated Feature, everybody cheers.....but when Non-Disney/Pixar films from Blue-Sky or Illumination gets a nomination....everybody gets grouchy like hell.

In terms of big grossing animated films....i rather have a variety from other animation studios than having films from the exact same studio hogging all the Oscar-attention (I’m looking at you, Disney!).

Because the Disney/Pixar films tend to be, you know, good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ithil said:

Because the Disney/Pixar films tend to be, you know, good.

Oh, and the films from Dreamworks/Illumination/Blue-Sky don't? Gee....then how did some of their films end up as big box office hits then, huh?

Reason Ferdinand got nominated for Best Animated Feature is because.....this is Blue Sky's second animated film to do so. First one being their starter..."Ice Age" back in 2002.

And i like when other companies that aren't always Disney/Pixar....at least get some "Best Animated Feature"-recognition. Seeing Pixar/Disney-films get nominated almost every time, does get a bit tiring & overrated, honestly.

Though i do understand the Disney films getting nominated: Because they can make well-received films.

However....not all praised Disney/Pixar films get an Oscar. Remember Finding Dory in 2016? That film got nothing.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Oh, and the films from Dreamworks/Illumination/Blue-Sky don't? Gee....then how did some of their films end up as big box office hits then, huh?

Reason Ferdinand got nominated for Best Animated Feature is because.....this is Blue Sky's second animated film to do so. First one being their starter..."Ice Age" back in 2002.

And i like when other companies that aren't always Disney/Pixar....at least get some "Best Animated Feature"-recognition. Seeing Pixar/Disney-films get nominated almost every time, does get a bit tiring & overrated, honestly.

Though i do understand the Disney films getting nominated: Because they can make well-received films.

However....not all praised Disney/Pixar films get an Oscar. Remember Finding Dory in 2016? That film got nothing.

Are you actually trying to argue that because they were box office hits, they must have been good?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Um....there is a thing called ”Opinions”. I got opinions of what i like or not. So don’t treat my opinions as laughable. :angry:

You literally attack other people's opinions if the movie they're criticizing isn't from Disney and/or has a big box office gross.

• Like 2