cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

On 12/19/2017 at 8:11 PM, slambros said:

Boss Baby wouldn't have a chance at a nomination if it weren't for that let's-let-people-that-don't-understand-that-animation-is-an-art-form-vote-in-the-category rule.

[...]

Because if every single academy member votes, there's bound to be many that disregard indies enough to snub them entirely.

My hope is that many academy voters who used to not be able to vote for animated make the responsible choice not to vote even if they can, on the basis that they haven't seen many of the film's because they don't care enough about what they perceive to be a genre.

I just read the actual rules, and it's not as bad as the press coverage/word-of-mouth made it sound. It isn't a case of "everyone in the Academy can nominate animated movies"; it's "everyone in the Academy will get an invitation to join the nominating committee". Only the ones who actually do join, and who "see a minimum percentage of submitted eligible films as defined by the then-current procedures", will be voting to nominate.

Edited by Murgatroyd

1 hour ago, Murgatroyd said:

I just read the actual rules, and it's not as bad as the press coverage/word-of-mouth made it sound. It isn't a case of "everyone in the Academy can nominate animated movies"; it's "everyone in the Academy will get an invitation to join the nominating committee". Only the ones who actually do join, and who "see a minimum percentage of submitted eligible films as defined by the then-current procedures", will be voting to nominate.

Well, phew.

I feel a lot better about the situation now!

I'll dive and say that The Breadwinner and Loving Vincent are both locked for nominations if that is the case- and I am very happy with that.

ff9ca04.gif

On 9/24/2017 at 11:47 AM, rukaio101 said:

At this point in time, I'm currently stanning for 'In this Corner of the World' (which, knowing my track record, means it's probably almost certain to miss out)

Also, totally called this. Is there a word for like the opposite of a Midas touch?

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Shame Despicable Me 3 didn’t get a nomination. But very surprised The Boss Baby got one. Though it make sense since it was the near $500M WW-hit while Captain Underpants wasn’t.

Ferdinand got nominated as well.

Nah.

17 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This year should give Pixar their astonishing 9th win out of the 17 awards given. And seems unlikely that they won't have their 10th and 11th in the next two years. 

I'm betting they're not gonna win next year. They're less kind to the sequels. Plus isle of dogs pretty good opportunity to finally give Wes Anderson an oscar.

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

Outside of Toy Story 3, I don't think a Pixar sequel has ever been nominated.

Well, Monsters U and Finding Dory were on the fringes of the worthy nominees, anyway. Dory level reviews would probably be enough to get Incredibles 2 in this year.

28 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I'm betting they're not gonna win next year. They're less kind to the sequels. Plus isle of dogs pretty good opportunity to finally give Wes Anderson an oscar.

Unless "whitewashing" complaints against the film sink its chances. Here's hoping that isn't the case.